BCS

Aubie7

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview05/ne...d=2127019&num=2

The preseason coaches' poll is already out, and if you believe in trends, it does hold some significance. In the first seven years of the BCS, at least one of the title-game participants has been a team ranked 1 or 2 in the preseason (USC and Texas this year). And in five of the seven years, that team's championship game opponent had a double-digit preseason ranking. Even both of the other years had a team come from off the pace to finish third in the BCS with a very strong claim for a top-two spot (Colorado in 2001 and Auburn in 2004). So, this means if your team is ranked Nos. 3 through 9 in the preseason, don't even concern yourself with the championship race -- unless, of course, you don't believe in trends.

In order to accommodate five BCS games, there will be a switch to what is being called "the double-hosting format," in which the site of the national title game also is the site of an earlier BCS game. The Fiesta, Sugar, Orange and Rose bowls all will be played in the first few days of January, but none will involve the top two teams in the standings. Then, approximately a week later, whichever bowl is due in the rotation will host the 1 vs. 2 game, and it will simply be called "The BCS Championship." Get ready. It's barely more than a year away.

ESPN's college football staff watched every game played by USC, Oklahoma and Auburn last season. And for what it's worth, the consensus of our group after the regular season -- not a unanimous opinion, by the way -- was that Auburn was the second-best team in the country. One person thought the Tigers were the best. Might a committee that watched every game have reached the same conclusion? Might the BCS championship game have had a different result? Maybe. Maybe not. We'll never know.

I watched EVERY game AUBURN played and , in my humble opinion, they were the BEST TEAM in America in '04. :au: (I am a tad bit prejudiced too.) :D

Nothing they say is going to change anyone's opinion because no one will ever know. I, for one, know that if we were given the chance they'd think differently!!!!

But who cares, let's focus on this season and show everyone that Auburn is ready to be a national powerhouse!!!!

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!

The NCAA at some point is going to have to recognize the BCS system has too many limitations. College President's are going to have to give in and have some type of playoff. Auburn got screwed last year and to be honest LSU got screwed the year before. Even though they proved it on the field it was still mixed in politics.

What you have is this split NC crap and people being left out.

This bull excuse of it would interupt classes and finals is all hogwash anyway.

Whatever plan is chosen does not have to mess up the bowl system. We all know it can be done.

Put the NC to be decided on the field where it belongs.

Geaux LSU Tigers

It really doesn't make a difference what they say because we'll never know. I agree with sport, we need to focus on this year and prove that we are still worthy of playing for a major title. I would rather have a playoff because it would let the teams settle it on the field and prove who is the true winner. But knowing the NCAA, they will not change the system unless the fans do something about it.

But knowing the NCAA, they will not change the system unless the fans do something about it.

173264[/snapback]

The NCAA will change the system once the fans start turning the television elsewhere and stop watching college fooball. Considering the current state of college football, that won't happen anytime soon.

Alex

To make it more confusing, and make us Auburn fans even madder, there could be several MNC's given out next year. The AP, the BcS, the new "retired coaches" poll (18 voters I think), and others.

...there could be several MNC's given out next year. The AP, the BcS, the new "retired coaches" poll (18 voters I think), and others.

173311[/snapback]

Remind me again, which one is Bama already claiming? :D

...there could be several MNC's given out next year. The AP, the BcS, the new "retired coaches" poll (18 voters I think), and others.

173311[/snapback]

Remind me again, which one is Bama already claiming? :D

173343[/snapback]

We don't know which one UAT will claim, becasue it will be 5 years from now before they will go back and award it to themselves. :roflol:

"...the site of the national title game also is the site of an earlier BCS game".

Oh, THAT makes sense. What if the earlier game is played in rainy conditions? The national championship game might be played on chewed up turf. I guess we don't have enough big football stadiums in this country to go around...when nobody else in the country is using their stadiums, we have to use the same one twice in 2 weeks. BC$....Cha-ching$$$$

Archived