Auburn vs Memphis

gravejd

12 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This is a much needed loss. Bruce has to get this team to play together. 

Agree. This team is highly overrated and will not do well in SEC play. Maybe the fifth best team in SEC if we are lucky. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WillMunny said:

I'll be to see Wendell Green and KD Johnson depart AU.  They are terrible shooters and play wild.

Ive been saying this since early last season. They don't make good decisions, they can't shoot consistently, and they panic in key situations. Makes you really miss Harper and Brown.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Defense was terrible from what I’ve seen but man that offense is just irrecoverable 

Has been all year. Only reason we have won is because of our defense. Once that goes, we lose.

we need to recruit shooters.

8 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Ive been saying this since early last season. They don't make good decisions, they can't shoot consistently, and they panic in key situations. Makes you really miss Harper and Brown.

They’re looking like exceptions.

• Dislike 1

17 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

There does seem to be an intensity difference when we don’t play at home.  By a lot 

This has to change within every sport at AU. At the end of the day it’s just a ball, a court, and a few hoops. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

There does seem to be an intensity difference when we don’t play at home.  By a lot 

And that is unacceptable in any sport! This is a mediocre team at best, with no true shooters. 

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

They’re looking like exceptions.

Agreed. This team should have probably lost at least 3 games already.  SEC play will pile on the losses. No good shooters on this squad. 

• Like 1

One thing I’ve noticed that concerns me about Bruce. He’s gone away from what got him there. We were a 3-point shooting team when we made it to the final four. In the last few years we’ve relied on talent down low instead of the three ball. 

Bruce is definitely no Gus, but It brings back terrible memories of Malzahn going away from the zone read after Nick Marshall and recruiting a completely different style QB.

We need shooters!

• Like 1

Just now, CameronCrazy said:

One thing I’ve noticed that concerns me about Bruce. He’s gone away from what got him there. We were a 3-point shooting team when we made it to the final four. In the last few years we’ve relied on talent down low instead of the three ball. 

Bruce is definitely no Gus, but It brings back terrible memories of Malzahn going away from the zone read after Nick Marshall and recruiting a completely different style QB.

We need shooters!

Bruce didn't address the most pressing need during the past off season which is getting players who can put the ball in the basket. I agree with your post. Our lack of any kind of offensive threat or 3 point shooting is really amazing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

People forget, early in browns career there were a chunk of us that were ready for him to transfer, myself included. Lay off on these players and let them do their thing 

47 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

We need shooters!

We do need shooters, but here's the thing, there's a reason the saying goes "live by the 3, die by the 3". If anything BP has been trying to build a more balanced attack that would get us over the hump rather than "just relying on the 3 ball"

All I can say after this game in which 2-loss Memphis **completely dominated*** Auburn in ***every*** facet of he game is, man there's a lot of work to do.

But I've been talking about this since late last season.

1 hour ago, Old fan 47 said:

Agreed. This team should have probably lost at least 3 games already.  SEC play will pile on the losses. No good shooters on this squad. 

Well, whose fault is that?

His guard recruiting has been very suspects

Sharif could'nt hit the broadside of a barn...

• Like 1

I don’t see how our offense gets non-putrid without real coaching intervention, but BP has figured out how to raise the team’s performance in conference play in 2017, 18, and 2021. No idea how to prognosticate or predict how he’d do it without new players but I trust we can’t look this bad offensively all year 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Well, whose fault is that?

His guard recruiting has been very suspects

Sharif could'nt hit the broadside of a barn...

Sharifs was one of the best players in basketball during his short stretch lol. Not to mention he played on the youngest team in the sport. That’s the worst example to use of his guard recruiting on THAT team 

Not even seeking to invalidate your point, there were some gambles in guard recruiting that CBP took a couple years ago that led to this mishmash. 

Idk what to make of Traore or Westry. Like they’re the type of guys who needed to be in real, structured offenses to walk before running. The Israel games were just pickup basically, and this is not that. 

Broome’s back to the basket game just isn’t scaling to major basketball. I will say he’s showing how good Austin Wiley was in this same role…I think giving AW the ball around the rim (with a semi decent entry pass) was a positive result no matter if it goes in or not. I cannot say that about Johni so far lol 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AURex said:

This game highlighted the serious problem CBP is confronted with. Teams with well-coached teams with size are going to collapse in, forcing Auburn to make outside shots OR meet a cluster of defenders inside -- which will lead to blocks, rebounds, fast breaks, easy buckets.

Memphis did exactly what other teams did at the end of last season, nullifying the inside game of Jabari and Kessler, shutting down Auburn despite the NBA talent inside.

We can expect this all season in the SEC this year. All of the SEC teams are going to collapse inside and force Auburn to prove the ability to hit from outside, then break and attack off of rebounds.

I'm not sure how CBP gets around this problem. Maybe some of our resident "experts" on basketball can advise us.

This goes back to why I kept asking if we were going after players like Nigel Pack in the portal last year. The man shot 44% from 3 PT last year and in clutch situations. I was glad we got Broome, but if you gave me one wish, it was that we got a sharpshooter or two for this very reason.

Bruce is amazing and he can coach at Auburn until he's 150 for all I care, but his insistence on trusting these guards after seeing how last year turned out is bewildering. You could see this coming since the UGA game last year.

Just gonna compile my thoughts into one post now that I can sit down and watch 

12:17 left in 1st half - CBP really failed not getting a veteran facilitator for this team. Westry is gonna catch a lot of flak for doing something he prob shouldn’t be doing. I still understand why it has to be him vs a Zep or KD (especially) though. Might consider putting Tre back in the rotation if this script continues though 

11:53 - I don’t see how we figure out a zone (against someone better than Bradley lol). We drive, they collapse, either a TO or up against shot clock 

4:10 - 7 minutes with very few bone headed plays. You at least operate with a general level of competence with Wendell on the court. Just gotta hope someone delivers that when he’s out by March 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby