Robinson out as LB coach

Maverick.AU

Auburn making changes at the linebackers coach position

Justin Hokanson13 minutes
Christian Robinson
(Photo: Jeffrey Lee, AuburnLiveOn3)

AUBURN — New Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze and new defensive coordinator Ron Roberts will not retain linebackers coach Christian Robinson, sources confirmed to Auburn Live on Thursday morning.

Keith Niebuhr and Justin Hokanson confirmed Robinson’s departure.

Robinson, known by current and former players as “C-Rob”, took over as linebacker coach in January after Bryan Harsin’s first season. He succeeded Jeff Schmedding, who was promoted to defensive coordinator for the 2022 season.

When Auburn hired Freeze more than than two weeks, most of the coaching staff was let go, with the exception of Cadillac Williams, Zac Etheridge and Robinson. Williams, who coaches running backs and served as interim coach after Harsin was fired with four games remaining in the 2022 season, was promoted to associate head coach almost immediately upon Freeze’s arrival. Meanwhile, Etheridge and Robinson have continued to recruit.

Roberts was hired as defensive coordinator on Sunday night and the move was made official by the university on Wednesday.

Who will coach linebackers at Auburn under Roberts and Freeze?

Auburn Live reported on Wednesday that Liberty co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Josh Aldridge was “weighing an offer to join Auburn’s defensive staff as a linebackers coach.”

Sources indicate that as of Thursday morning, unless there’s a change of heart, Aldridge will accept the position with Auburn following Liberty’s bowl game against Toledo on December 20. The move could come following signing day, which falls on December 21. Aldridge is currently serving as interim head coach following Freeze’s departure and until the arrival of Jamey Chadwell, who is coming to Liberty from Coastal Carolina.

Robinson’s football career as a player and coach

From Auburn Live’s Cole Pinkston:

Robinson played in college for an Auburn rival. He was a linebacker for the University of Georgia from 2009-2012. He was then a graduate assistant coach at Georgia from 2013-2014, then at Ole Miss from 2015-2016, and at Mississippi State in 2017.

As a player at Georgia, Robinson played in 51 games. He had 159 tackles, 22.5 TFLs and 4.5 sacks while starting most of his career. He was a part of back-to-back SEC Eastern Division title teams in 2011 and 2012.

Robinson spent four seasons as the linebacker coach for the University of Florida. He had plenty of success as a coach and recruiter for the Gators helping them to the 7th ranked defense nationally in scoring. 

He coached NFL Draft picks Jonathan Greenard, Vosean Joseph, Mohamoud Diabate, and Ventrell Miller while at Florida.

• Thanks 1

I'm not an expert on LB play, but I've heard several posters here complain that our LBs seemed to have regressed since last year.

• Like 2

Let’s be honest here. Everyone was surprised when he was retained after the rest of the coaches were fired. the linebacker play was not good at all.
But that is not the biggest issue. Recruiting is the biggest issue. He used to be the man at recruiting but there are no linebackers even looking at us right now. I don’t know if he just became lazy or if he just needs a fresh start somewhere else because his recruiting has been terrible. 
I am sure that HF wanted to keep his friend but if you cannot recruit, you are not going to be retained. We are tying to build something here. 

• Like 2

Definitely needed up graded play from linebackers and more talented ones. Every pass over the middle was usually wide open. Pappoe would make the tackle but it was 8-12 yards down the field.

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

I'm not an expert on LB play, but I've heard several posters here complain that our LBs seemed to have regressed since last year.

Just looked flat out lost at times!!

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Robinson out as LB coach
1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Crootin’

@AUwent he’s not the recruiter you think he is plus he would want to be at least co defensive coordinator and we don’t want any part of him in that role right now.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AUwent he’s not the recruiter you think he is plus he would want to be at least co defensive coordinator and we don’t want any part of him in that role right now.

Ok. We do need at least one true elite recruiter on staff.

15 hours ago, AUwent said:

Wish we could have TWill instead of the Liberty guy.

You want TWill to demote himself to just just being  a LB coach again all because you want him? K.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Ok. We do need at least one true elite recruiter on staff.

I’m sorry wtf do you think Zac is? And freeze is the best recruiting head coach we’ve had since dye. Having good recruiters at almost every assistant coaching position is less important now than say the Chizik era. Plus you can’t judge a guy in recruiting until they get to a big time program. They aren’t on a level playing field until now. He could turn out to be a totally capable sec recruiter. Only time will tell.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I’m sorry wtf do you think Zac is? And freeze is the best recruiting head coach we’ve had since dye. Having good recruiters at almost every assistant coaching position is less important now than say the Chizik era. Plus you can’t judge a guy in recruiting until they get to a big time program. They aren’t on a level playing field until now. He could turn out to be a totally capable sec recruiter. Only time will tell.

Is next Wednesday a fair time telling barometer? 

• Facepalm 2

3 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Is next Wednesday a fair time telling barometer? 

I’d say at least the first week of February when we have first national signing day, to give a head coach time to pull in at least a full class, even though Freeze never technically has had that since he started 2ish weeks ago. But that’s the minimum for a “fair” time-telling barometer. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

2.5 weeks? 

You both do have a point.  I expect results in a week or less.  Hugh needs to go.

• Haha 1

All we can judge by this year is how much progress was made relative to where we were when Freeze took over. It'll be next year, the class of 2024 before we can tell how things will be. By the time Freeze got here a few weeks ago most of the best prospects were already committed to other programs and flips are tough to get.

Also, there isn't much left by the signing day in February. Most of the top guys will have signed in the early period right before Christmas.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

You want TWill to demote himself to just just being  a LB coach again all because you want him? K.

Nah I was thinking Co-DC officially, but really more of an off the field role, which to my understanding is what he does now.