Robinson out as LB coach

Maverick.AU

4 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

It’s just a question. Not a statement. 

With all the current hype and spots to fill in genuinely curious how much time 

Oh, sorry. 
well, considering the fact that we are pretty much on probation due to our unbelievably bad head, coach, is probably going to take two years of HS recruiting and portal recruiting. 
Now if he gets a good transfer quarterback, and a few lineman, we may be relevant next year. But that would be amazing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Is next Wednesday a fair time telling barometer? 

9 hours ago, AUINSY said:

I’d say at least the first week of February when we have first national signing day, to give a head coach time to pull in at least a full class, even though Freeze never technically has had that since he started 2ish weeks ago. But that’s the minimum for a “fair” time-telling barometer. 

I’m talking about josh Aldridge. Who’s technical not even an auburn assistant yet and has only coached at mid major schools so far. We already know Freeze can recruit at the big boy level.

16 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I’m sorry wtf do you think Zac is? And freeze is the best recruiting head coach we’ve had since dye. Having good recruiters at almost every assistant coaching position is less important now than say the Chizik era. Plus you can’t judge a guy in recruiting until they get to a big time program. They aren’t on a level playing field until now. He could turn out to be a totally capable sec recruiter. Only time will tell.

Are we really so sure about that? I mean, Gus held his own until the end mostly...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

Are we really so sure about that? I mean, Gus held his own until the end mostly...

Unequivocally Yes. Freeze landed 2 top ten classes at ole miss. That’s more impressive obviously than the top ten classes gus had at a much better program. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

I've only recently begun to follow recruiting at even a basic level, but my understanding based on reading this forum is that while Gus had decent rankings, he didn't recruit strategically. We had good numbers, but not in positions we desperately needed them. (IE, our O-line has been in a dire situation for years)

Edited by WarrrEagleHey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, WarrrEagleHey said:

I've only recently begun to follow recruiting at even a basic level, but my understanding based on reading this forum is that while Gus had decent rankings, he didn't recruit strategically. We had good numbers, but not in positions we desperately needed them. (IE, our O-line has been in a dire situation for years)

You are correct. We’d get skill guys like Anthony Schwartz, who literally had world-class speed and could compete in track in the Olympics, but we would pretend like the big boys in the trenches weren’t a big deal. It still baffles me how we’d get those athletic skill guys when you could watch the results on the field. I guess it was still the lingering effects of the success we had with Cam Newton and Nick Marshall. 

I remember thinking in like 2013-2015 getting like 2-3 top 10 receivers in the country in one or two classes with Nate Craig-Meyers, Duke Williams, and maybe Kyle Davis and thinking we’ll finally have Alabama-type/level receivers, only to see them not even get playing time and transfer out. I still don’t understand it. I guess we were chasing/prioritizing stats and rankings over and above team fit, attitude, and need. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

You are correct. We’d get skill guys like Anthony Schwartz, who literally had world-class speed and could compete in track in the Olympics, but we would pretend like the big boys in the trenches weren’t a big deal. It still baffles me how we’d get those athletic skill guys when you could watch the results on the field. I guess it was still the lingering effects of the success we had with Cam Newton and Nick Marshall. 

I remember thinking in like 2013-2015 getting like 2-3 top 10 receivers in the country in one or two classes with Nate Craig-Meyers, Duke Williams, and maybe Kyle Davis and thinking we’ll finally have Alabama-type/level receivers, only to see them not even get playing time and transfer out. I still don’t understand it. I guess we were chasing/prioritizing stats and rankings over and above team fit, attitude, and need. 

Respectfully Nate Craig is the only one that transferred out only to reunite with him again. Duke and Kyle were kicked off the team for disciplinary reasons. Duke saw alot of passes but couldn’t stay out of trouble. I don’t recall many transfers and some still made league (Coates, Slayton, Louis).

It’s old news now . It’s all  about CHF

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

Gus’s staff was solid at recruiting. But Freeze individually is a much better recruiter in my opinion. He’s a great salesman. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

We’d get skill guys like Anthony Schwartz, who literally had world-class speed and could compete in track in the Olympics,

We used him primarily on slip screens. He would’ve easily been a 1,000 yard a year deep threat in a legit offense. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WarrrEagleHey said:

It's actually surprising that this has to be said over and over again. It's not hard to comprehend at all. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, e808 said:

Respectfully Nate Craig is the only one that transferred out only to reunite with him again. Duke and Kyle were kicked off the team for disciplinary reasons. Duke saw alot of passes but couldn’t stay out of trouble. I don’t recall many transfers and some still made league (Coates, Slayton, Louis).

It’s old news now . It’s all  about CHF

Doesn’t matter, the guys were still busts and weren’t good fits in the team/system, that’s the point of looking backwards. The application for today/here and now is that I hope we’ve got a guy that can actually spot talent AND team fit/attitude now, rather than prioritize stars and rankings while ignoring key pieces and team needs, and coach them up to be quality receivers and players that contribute.

Edited by AUINSY

14 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

We used him primarily on slip screens. He would’ve easily been a 1,000 yard a year deep threat in a legit offense. 

The dude is struggling in the NFL, I think he nearly had a nervous breakdown in the past several weeks/few months. I feel bad for him. 

18 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

Doesn’t matter, the guys were still busts and weren’t good fits in the team/system, that’s the point of looking backwards. The application for today/here and now is that I hope we’ve got a guy that can actually spot talent AND team fit/attitude now, rather than prioritize stars and rankings while ignoring key pieces and team needs, and coach them up to be quality receivers and players that contribute.

U said in ur post didn’t get enough playing time or transferred out. Which simply wasn’t true. Now u saying it doesn’t matter. If it doesn’t matter why make that statement. 

Anyways hoping to hear some good news today on the recruiting trail

Edited by e808
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, e808 said:

U said in ur post didn’t get enough playing time or transferred out. Which simply wasn’t true. Now u saying it doesn’t matter. If it doesn’t matter why make that statement. Anyways hoping to hear some good news today on the recruiting trail

“Doesn’t matter” is in context to what method or format in how they were no longer team contributors. My apologies, I didn’t qualify every possible scenario. I’ll try to be better next time…my point is although they were great players on paper, they didn’t contribute to the team regardless of how they exited the team. That’s the cost of prioritizing stars, stats, and rankings over what’s best for the team and team fit, and the original post I responded to about the failure of recruiting strategically. 

Edited by AUINSY

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Unequivocally Yes. Freeze landed 2 top ten classes at ole miss. That’s more impressive obviously than the top ten classes gus had at a much better program. 

10 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

I think you guys are both right.   Freeze has all the history and abilities to become the best recruiter we’ve had.  But he hasn’t turned it into results at AU…… yet.  I really look forward to him doing it though.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

“Doesn’t matter” is in context to what method or format in how they were no longer team contributors. My apologies, I didn’t qualify every possible scenario. I’ll try to be better next time…my point is although they were great players on paper, they didn’t contribute to the team regardless of how they exited the team. That’s the cost of prioritizing stars, stats, and rankings over what’s best for the team and team fit, and the original post I responded to about the failure of recruiting strategically. 

So u are saying Duke Williams was exciting on paper but didn’t contribute to the team?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, e808 said:

So u are saying Duke Williams was exciting on paper but didn’t contribute to the team?

I think he contributed a broken jaw if I remember correctly.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, e808 said:

Essentially. Duke, Kyle, and Nate were all exciting on paper and for various reasons ended up not being productive, beneficial players at Auburn in the long-run. More than that, previous Auburn staff/Gus did recruit well on paper, but key skill signees like the guys above seemed to be prioritized over and above players like good offensive linemen, and those skill guys ended up not always amounting to much. Similar with QBs (Jeremy Johnson, Kiehl Frazier, Woody Barrett, Joey Gatewood, Malik Willis) and #1 HS player Byron Cowart, among others. Others did pretty well, like Kerryon Johnson, Tank now, even Seth Williams and Coates and Slayton like you mentioned, Stidham was alright, but it didn’t/doesn’t make sense to me why we’d get a good bit of these skill guys and didn’t or couldn’t get the trench guys. 

Edited by AUINSY

1 hour ago, AUINSY said:

Essentially. Duke, Kyle, and Nate were all exciting on paper and for various reasons ended up not being productive, beneficial players at Auburn in the long-run. More than that, previous Auburn staff/Gus did recruit well on paper, but key skill signees like the guys above seemed to be prioritized over and above players like good offensive linemen, and those skill guys ended up not always amounting to much. Similar with QBs (Jeremy Johnson, Kiehl Frazier, Woody Barrett, Joey Gatewood, Malik Willis) and #1 HS player Byron Cowart, among others. Others did pretty well, like Kerryon Johnson, Tank now, even Seth Williams and Coates and Slayton like you mentioned, Stidham was alright, but it didn’t/doesn’t make sense to me why we’d get a good bit of these skill guys and didn’t or couldn’t get the trench guys. 

I still haven’t gotten over Kyle Davis.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I still haven’t gotten over Kyle Davis.

I haven’t gotten over that entire WR recruiting class/WRs that were on that team at the same time. I thought we’d be WRU for a season or two. It hurts me deep! 😂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I thought CRob’s departure statement was first class.

Agreed. I think he really appreciates Auburn, doesn’t want to burn any bridges, and is keeping doors wide open for what’s next for him. I wish him no ill will and hope he succeeds in whatever’s next. Unless what’s next is Bama or UGAly. 

On 12/15/2022 at 6:28 PM, alabastertiger said:

He is a good Auburn man, but our LB play was just flat bad.   

A year ago, our LBs were supposed to be the best in the SEC. That didnt age well.

• Like 4