Auburn vs Southern California (USC)

AUBwins

Auburn went into this game favored, but our Tigers are just not a good team right now. Wendell was 0-4 from the floor with 2 points and 3 turnovers, K.D. was 0-5 with 6 turnovers, Moore was 0-1, Flanigan was 3-8 with 3 turnovers, Westry did not score but had 3 turnovers ....

Once again, Jonni Broome carried the load -- 7-8 from the floor with 2 blocks, but 4 turnovers. Tre also contributed 4-8 from the floor, 2-4 from 3, with 4 steals and 2 turnovers.

Did I mention turnovers? Auburn had 23 turnovers, USC had 12. Not exactly a stout defensive performance by our Tigers.

Auburn will drop out of the Top 25 now. CBP has work to do.

Edited by AURex
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, AURex said:

Auburn went into this game favored, but our Tigers are just not a good team right now. Wendell was 0-4 from the floor with 2 points and 3 turnovers, K.D. was 0-5 with 6 turnovers, Moore was 0-1, Flanigan was 3-8 with 3 turnovers, Westry did not score but had 3 turnovers ....

Once again, Jonni Broome carried the load -- 7-8 from the floor with 2 blocks, but 4 turnovers. Tre also contributed 4-8 from the floor, 2-4 from 3, with 4 steals and 2 turnovers.

Did I mention turnovers? Auburn had 23 turnovers, USC had 12. Not exactly a stout defensive performance by our Tigers.

What you have described is a poor team

For the talent level, they play pretty boneheaded and way too emotional 

Edited by 1716AU
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Our team will be plagued until we rid ourselves of our sorry logo-shooting, turnover machine guards (Green and KD) that Bruce Pearl refuses to get under control.

I look forward to the day that both Green and KD have move on.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone here who are wearing Green or KD jerseys.

Problem is, CBP currently has no real alternatives for guard play. And by now, all opponents know that they can just collapse inside and let Auburn's outside guys shoot, because they can't sink shots.

CBP knows this, which is why he keeps talking about the necessity of playing tough defense. But when Tiger turnovers are double the opponent's, it is obvious that ain't happening either.

Tough situation for CBP.

• Like 1

Just now, cole256 said:

The problem is the guards are slumping at the same time right now. 

But when playing to their upside together, isn't their height (or lack thereof) and happy-to-shoot mentality too much for us to overcome?

Shouldn't they be feeding the ball to Johni more?

14 minutes ago, AURex said:

Problem is, CBP currently has no real alternatives for guard play. And by now, all opponents know that they can just collapse inside and let Auburn's outside guys shoot, because they can't sink shots.

CBP knows this, which is why he keeps talking about the necessity of playing tough defense. But when Tiger turnovers are double the opponent's, it is obvious that ain't happening either.

Tough situation for CBP.

It's CBP fault he doesn't have alternatives 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, AURex said:

Tough situation for CBP.

A situation he recruited himself into. What actually brought me to officially join the site last year was inquiring why we weren't making a big push to cover the obvious holes at the guard position we had on this team. There were guards out there to get. You could see that WG, KD and Zep weren't the answer by the end of last year pretty clearly.

Edited by KansasTiger
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lawsam said:

We are just a sloppy team.  Still time to shape up, I hope.

Very little chance, I think, with the same out-of-control guards we had last year, when we flamed out at the end of the season.  Otherwise, with two future NBA stars.

There's good reason why ESPN analysts dissed Green and KD last year.  Very good reason.  At the D1 level, they are sub-par.

20 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

A situation he recruited himself into. What actually brought me to this site last year was inquiring why we weren't making a big push to cover the obvious holes at the guard position we had on this team. There were guards out there to get. You could see that WG, KD and Zep weren't the answer by the end of last year pretty clearly.

Well, I understand his priorities. He knew he was losing Jabari and Kessler, so he really needed to find some interior guys who could compete. And Westry seemed like a good get for outside play. Plus, I'm sure he expected Flanigan to rebound from his injury and play like the NBA-bound kid expected from his frosh year. Well, Broome has come through, but nobody else has shown any consistency.

Broome has delivered. Westry has not so far, but he has an upside.

I'm thinking that CBP expects Broome and other inside players to be around next year. And he is hitting the recruiting circuit hard. I'm not optimistic about this year, but I'm optimistic about the future with CBP.

1 hour ago, AURex said:

I don’t blame them for that. I blame the coach for letting them live out their Steph Curry fantasies. I should have halted last year. This team needs some Xs and Os vs player empowerment. We have seen almost two years of data that as long as u let them do something they gonna keep doing it. The 3ball should come at a premium and just work to get the best shot.
I am really worried about rebounding in both losses they were some possession where Auburn had the ball and then they didn’t. Every single time it happened the other team scored. 

I was really counting on Westry to elevate our guard play.  Obviously, that hasn't happened.  I hope he's just not 100% yet, otherwise this year is not looking good at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

Our team will be plagued until we rid ourselves of our sorry logo-shooting, turnover machine guards (Green and KD) that Bruce Pearl refuses to get under control.

I look forward to the day that both Green and KD have move on.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone here who are wearing Green or KD jerseys.

If I could give you 100 likes for this comment, I would. I've been saying this about our guard play for 2 years. 

Green and KD have low basketball IQ's. Your PG is the QB of your team in basketball. Facilitate first, get your guys going, feed Broome and get him going, control the tempo of the game, don't get too high or too low, etc. We miss Jared Harper more than any player we've had under Pearl. He was undersized but still made it to the league due to his high basketball IQ. 

KD Johnson is a cross between Russell Westbrook, Cinmeon Bowers and the Tazmanian Devil. Everytime he leads a fast break in transition, I expect him to bounce the ball off his knee or foot and it land 10 rows into the seats. He looks just like Cinmeon Bowers leading a fast break. When Pearl had Cinmeon running PG for awhile, I just cringed watching him bring the ball up. 

For the million things that Bruce Pearl does great, there are a few that make you scratch your head. The terrible shooting, especially from deep, is one of the head scratchers because we are hell bent on shooting 3's even though we suck at it. 

This team isn't built right. They will stay in games due to their defense and hustle but that's the only reason. I hate to say this but when we get into conference play, it's going to look worse than what it has so far. 

The realistic goal for this team should be making the tournament in March. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

If I could give you 100 likes for this comment, I would. I've been saying this about our guard play for 2 years. 

Green and KD have low basketball IQ's. Your PG is the QB of your team in basketball. Facilitate first, get your guys going, feed Broome and get him going, control the tempo of the game, don't get too high or too low, etc. We miss Jared Harper more than any player we've had under Pearl. He was undersized but still made it to the league due to his high basketball IQ. 

KD Johnson is a cross between Russell Westbrook, Cinmeon Bowers and the Tazmanian Devil. Everytime he leads a fast break in transition, I expect him to bounce the ball off his knee or foot and it land 10 rows into the seats. He looks just like Cinmeon Bowers leading a fast break. When Pearl had Cinmeon running PG for awhile, I just cringed watching him bring the ball up. 

For the million things that Bruce Pearl does great, there are a few that make you scratch your head. The terrible shooting, especially from deep, is one of the head scratchers because we are hell bent on shooting 3's even though we suck at it. 

This team isn't built right. They will stay in games due to their defense and hustle but that's the only reason. I hate to say this but when we get into conference play, it's going to look worse than what it has so far. 

The realistic goal for this team should be making the tournament in March. 

Bowers never ran point, ever. I guess this is where you go crazy slandering my name now as you do

Edit I was wrong

Edited by cole256

19 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Nice two year slump

They had problems shooting last season

You are talking to the guy that brought up these guards weaknesses when everything was seemingly good and we were the number 1 team in the nation. 

I've gone into detail a few times explaining their problems. With that being said it was rare that they all had bad games at the same time AND on top of that we had jabari to masquerade their weaknesses. 

I was thinking about making a post in the morning to explain why it's harder for them this year even though they are older now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cole256 said:

You are talking to the guy that brought up these guards weaknesses when everything was seemingly good and we were the number 1 team in the nation. 

I've gone into detail a few times explaining their problems. With that being said it was rare that they all had bad games at the same time AND on top of that we had jabari to masquerade their weaknesses. 

I was thinking about making a post in the morning to explain why it's harder for them this year even though they are older now.

Well, I for one, would absolutely love to hear your thoughts on this. It's just kind of baffling to me

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

But when playing to their upside together, isn't their height (or lack thereof) and happy-to-shoot mentality too much for us to overcome?

Shouldn't they be feeding the ball to Johni more?

The height is more of a liability on the defensive side. The happy to shoot thing is actually a necessity for the offense and to be honest as crazy as it sound it's too early to give up on it at the moment. 

I can't feel you what Pearl is going to do. I know what I would do though

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The height is more of a liability on the defensive side. The happy to shoot thing is actually a necessity for the offense and to be honest as crazy as it sound it's too early to give up on it at the moment. 

I can't feel you what Pearl is going to do. I know what I would do though

And what would you do?

I'd have one of them bring it up but I'd have flannigan facilitating but he'd know him scoring the ball is one of the last things on his agenda. Everything with us would involve high low action.

I'd slow our pace down because right now we aren't shooting at a high enough clip to outscore in a fast pace. 

I'm letting my guards know if they aren't interested in passing the ball to head to Auburn Montgomery and play for them. 

Oh and Westry and Donaldson would have been playing major minutes early to get a bunch of their mistakes out of the way now.

But we don't like suck and need to be given up on or anything.....We just have some heavy limitations right now. I'm hoping Westry and Donaldson can get us and elevate us. 

• Like 2

From what I have seen in a limited capacity so far Auburn is probably 5 in the conference .I believe the length of Bama, KY, Ark and Tenn gonna really cause problem. However, they all have their set of issues as well.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm letting my guards know if they aren't interested in passing the ball to head to Auburn Montgomery and play for them. 

Your plan is spot on but I would add ‘effectively’ passing the ball. The amount of bad passes and turnovers is almost impossible to overcome. 

• Thanks 1