Auburn vs Southern California (USC)

AUBwins

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

Bowers never ran point, ever. I guess this is where you go crazy slandering my name now as you do

Actually Bowers did in fact run the point for multiple games.  My memory on all that has faded, but I believe we had a guard or two injured (shamsid-Dean for one) and Canty was either suspended or had left the program. I do remember Bowers had to run point for several games beacuase, Pearl had no other options at the time. It might have been to give another PG some rest since we were short handed.

45 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Actually Bowers did in fact run the point for multiple games.  My memory on all that has faded, but I believe we had a guard or two injured (shamsid-Dean for one) and Canty was either suspended or had left the program. I do remember Bowers had to run point for several games beacuase, Pearl had no other options at the time. It might have been to give another PG some rest since we were short handed.

It was something they said but he wasn't really the point. He wouldn't really handle the ball besides when he rebounded. When he rebounded the ball he would push it to try to create fast break opportunities because we weren't good at offense and we needed those points whenever we could

But I guess that's me being fickle. To me point is whoever get the rebound identify this as the guy who will handle the ball. 

Actually you know what? I was wrong. I sound like some people on here that I'm not too fond of

Edited by cole256

15 hours ago, WillMunny said:

Very little chance, I think, with the same out-of-control guards we had last year, when we flamed out at the end of the season.  Otherwise, with two future NBA stars.

There's good reason why ESPN analysts dissed Green and KD last year.  Very good reason.  At the D1 level, they are sub-par.

Yep.  Green & KD have some incredible stretches, but overall it's just wildly inconsistent at best and the supporting cast isn't close to last year's talent. 

Bright future if Bruce recruits a couple of guards but otherwise this current team is basically playing spoiler because they'll probably win a few games they shouldn't and lose a few they shouldn't like last night.

Everybody keeps saying Bruce should be recruiting some pure shooters especially bigger pure shooting SG's. He has been but we have lost out om some really good ones to other teams and the NBA. Westry may be the 1st true SG we have recruited in a while and he will be good but how long will it take. Even then he is a true SG but not a Pure shooter like Brown but a more complete offensive game then Brown as a freshman. Brown was ok and got better every year. Same for Harper but Harper was a true PG from day one.

20 hours ago, AURex said:

Auburn went into this game favored, but our Tigers are just not a good team right now. Wendell was 0-4 from the floor with 2 points and 3 turnovers, K.D. was 0-5 with 6 turnovers, Moore was 0-1, Flanigan was 3-8 with 3 turnovers, Westry did not score but had 3 turnovers ....

Once again, Jonni Broome carried the load -- 7-8 from the floor with 2 blocks, but 4 turnovers. Tre also contributed 4-8 from the floor, 2-4 from 3, with 4 steals and 2 turnovers.

Did I mention turnovers? Auburn had 23 turnovers, USC had 12. Not exactly a stout defensive performance by our Tigers.

Auburn will drop out of the Top 25 now. CBP has work to do.

19 hours ago, 1716AU said:

What you have described is a poor team

For the talent level, they play pretty boneheaded and way too emotional 

19 hours ago, cole256 said:

The problem is the guards are slumping at the same time right now. 

18 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

A situation he recruited himself into. What actually brought me to officially join the site last year was inquiring why we weren't making a big push to cover the obvious holes at the guard position we had on this team. There were guards out there to get. You could see that WG, KD and Zep weren't the answer by the end of last year pretty clearly.

18 hours ago, WillMunny said:

Very little chance, I think, with the same out-of-control guards we had last year, when we flamed out at the end of the season.  Otherwise, with two future NBA stars.

There's good reason why ESPN analysts dissed Green and KD last year.  Very good reason.  At the D1 level, they are sub-par.

I don't love KD but he was top 20 scoring in the SEC last season and 7th in steals, and Green was second in assists top 25 in points and top 50 in rebounding. Let's not act like these guys are trash. 

17 hours ago, e808 said:

I don’t blame them for that. I blame the coach for letting them live out their Steph Curry fantasies. I should have halted last year. This team needs some Xs and Os vs player empowerment. We have seen almost two years of data that as long as u let them do something they gonna keep doing it. The 3ball should come at a premium and just work to get the best shot.
I am really worried about rebounding in both losses they were some possession where Auburn had the ball and then they didn’t. Every single time it happened the other team scored. 

This system is not made to work like that, and these player would be worse trying to execute that type of system. Oh and we out rebounded USC by 13 boards. 

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'd have one of them bring it up but I'd have flannigan facilitating but he'd know him scoring the ball is one of the last things on his agenda. Everything with us would involve high low action.

I'd slow our pace down because right now we aren't shooting at a high enough clip to outscore in a fast pace. 

I'm letting my guards know if they aren't interested in passing the ball to head to Auburn Montgomery and play for them. 

Oh and Westry and Donaldson would have been playing major minutes early to get a bunch of their mistakes out of the way now.

But we don't like suck and need to be given up on or anything.....We just have some heavy limitations right now. I'm hoping Westry and Donaldson can get us and elevate us. 

I actually think many of KD's struggles is him trying to make passes when he needs to shoot. I think our biggest issue is shot selection. I also would not have AF in a facilitator role as he continues to struggle with turnovers. I completely agree Tre and Chance each need significantly more minutes to work out the kinks. I think. that comes at the expense of Zep and KD, but we need to explore what they can do. I also agree about looking more high low. Williams and Broom both have shown they need more touches and Williams is perfect to work from the high post spot. 

• Facepalm 1

So it's part shot selection, but it's still the same like I said last year imo. They can't create good shots for themselves consistently. This team needs a guard who can create and shoot with range in the worst way. 

As far as Flanagan I know he has turnover problems but they all do. From the games I watch it seems to me he makes those turnovers when he's trying to do too much so that's why I said I'dlet him know his role isn't to score.

By doing this his turnovers should actually do down. He also seems to be the most creative passing, and also he has the height to see over a defense which is also something green and Johnson lacks. And I'm only doing this until I feel our young guards are ready.

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, cole256 said:

The height is more of a liability on the defensive side. The happy to shoot thing is actually a necessity for the offense and to be honest as crazy as it sound it's too early to give up on it at the moment. 

I can't feel you what Pearl is going to do. I know what I would do though

What would you do?

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I answered this is previous posts in this thread.

OK, I'm sorry to bother you.  Won't happen again.

Edited by WillMunny
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

OK, I'm sorry to bother you.  Won't happen again.

What won't happen again? You didn't bother me. I was just letting you know that I posted a few of my thoughts in here already. Some people get upset if you repeat stuff and stuff like that.

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

What won't happen again? You didn't bother me. I was just letting you know that I posted a few of my thoughts in here already. Some people get upset if you repeat stuff and stuff like that.

OK, I thought you were annoyed with my question.  I want to get along with everyone, and I like to post and read.  Back and forth.  Etc.

3 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

OK, I thought you were annoyed with my question.  I want to get along with everyone, and I like to post and read.  Back and forth.  Etc.

Nah if I had any problem with you I'd mention it to you directly. I love talking basketball and football though so you can't ask me too many questions or just talk in general.

You can disagree with me and everything. As long as you don't disrespect me and just treat me like a peer we can talk and discuss whatever, whenever you like. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Thoughts on message boards shouldn't bother anyone. Such thoughts are a penny a dozen.🦨