Auburn's first scrimmage

tgr4lfe

I just copied and pasted this article from www.auburntigers.com . Things sound pretty good. Brandon's numbers look awesome. I feel we are in for another incredible year. :au: WAR EAGLE :au:

Cox, Williams Shine in First Scrimmage of Fall

August 10, 2005

AUBURN - The Auburn football team held its first scrimmage of the preseason Wednesday morning on the intramural fields with a 75-play situational session. The start of the scrimmage was delayed due to wet field conditions.

"This was a good start," Head coach Tommy Tuberville said. "We made a lot of mistakes, but that is the reason why we scrimmage. We won't know until we see the film how we did. There were some good efforts, but it was a little sloppy.

Tuberville praised sophomore signal caller Brandon Cox, who completed 11-of-17 passes for 199 yards and two touchdowns. Cox hit senior wide receiver Anthony Mix twice with touchdown strikes from 24 and 5 yards, respectively.

"I watched the quarterbacks today and that is about all you can tell when you scrimmage and I thought Brandon did a good job," Tuberville said. "He made good decisions. He looked calm and cool under pressure and looked like he is getting better."

Sophomore running back Carl Stewart led the rushing attack with 44 yards on four carries, including long of 30 yards. Junior Kenny Irons ran for 23 yards with a 2-yard touchdown and caught three passes for 66 yards. On the first play of the scrimmage, Irons caught a screen play from Cox and ran 68 yards before being stopped 2 yards shy of the goal line.

Defensively, the Tigers were led by senior linebacker Travis Williams, who tallied nine tackles, including seven unassisted stops. Williams also had three tackles for loss. Junior safety Will Herring added seven tackles while freshman linebacker Chris Evans had five tackles.

Auburn's other offensive scores came on a 20-yard reception by Maurice Anderson from Blake Field and Calvin Booker hit James Swinton on a 71-yard touchdown score late in the scrimmage.

The Tigers will scrimmage on Saturday in Jordan-Hare Stadium in a workout that will be closed to the public.

"Saturday, barring the weather, we are going to scrimmage again," Tuberville said. "The next time we scrimmage, we are going to have a dry one so it could be Sunday or Monday. We have to wait and see what the weather does."

Auburn will hold its second two-a-days on Thursday with an 8:30 a.m. CT workout on the intramural fields in full pads. The afternoon workout in shells, scheduled to begin at 4:30 p.m. will also be held on the intramural fields.

Auburn Scrimmage Individual Leaders

Rushing - Carl Stewart, 4 att., 44 yds.;

Kenny Irons, 7 att., 23 yds., TD;

Brad Lester, 6 att., 16 yds;

Tristan Davis, 16 att., 5 yds.

Passing - Brandon Cox, 17-11-0, 199 yds, 2 TD; Calvin Booker, 8-3-1, 85 yds., 1 TD, Blake Field, 7-2-1, 23 yds, 1 TD.

Receving - Kenny Irons, 3-66; Anthony Mix, 3-62, 2 TD, Devin Aromashodu, 2-31; Ben Obomanu, 2-13.

Defensive - Travis Williams, 7+2=9; Will Herring 3+4=7; Chris Evans 2+3=5; Montavis Pitts 1+3=4.

Scoring Summary

Anthony Mix 24-yard reception from Brandon Cox

Anthony Mix 5-yard reception from Brandon Cox

Kenny Irons 2-yard run

Maurice Anderson 20-yard reception from Blake Field

James Swinton 71-yard reception from Calvin Booker

I'm telling ya, Carl Stewart is Stephen Davis in disguise. People are counting us out because we lost our backfield. But we are still loaded with talent back there. I can't wait to start the march through the SEC.

Kenny Irons leading the receiving numbers?? Tells you that Borges is keeping the flexibility of the offense...even if we lost 3 players in the backfield.

I'm telling ya, Carl Stewart is Stephen Davis in disguise. People are counting us out because we lost our backfield. But we are still loaded with talent back there. I can't wait to start the march through the SEC.

173686[/snapback]

I think he's gonna be real good as well. I'm puzzled as to why all the preseason reports are not mentioning him.

173686[/snapback]

I think he's gonna be real good as well. I'm puzzled as to why all the preseason reports are not mentioning him.

173735[/snapback]

Guys (and gals) we will have 3 very good RBs in Tre, Irons, and Stewart. These 3 should be comparable to Caddy and Ronnie. With the experienced OL we will get the numbers on the ground and be able to run.

Archived