Spring Practice Updates…

toddc

44 minutes ago, DAG said:

Ahhhh so unpredictable. The best potential though , if he ever gets competent with his passing .

do you or anyone know how much running geriner did in high school? i thought he ran some ............

Just now, W.E.D said:

It usually is handled by the website & swapping the font color.  But yes, all of your articles don't show anything for users using dark theme

IT problem! I’m just hearing this for the first time that I remember. 

16 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

do you or anyone know how much running geriner did in high school? i thought he ran some ............

I think he has enough get up to escape a little but no break away speed. 
RA really needs to get his s*** in gear , because he could be absolutely amazing 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

RA really needs to get his s*** in gear , because he could be absolutely amazing 

If he could be an average passer, say 60% & make good decisions, we'd be really good

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

If he could be an average passer, say 60% & make good decisions, we'd be really good

Yep! That’s all we are asking 60%. And the way the NFL is going, if he stays low on his Turnovers, make the right play and get his TD ratio up, he arguably can be a day 2 pick in the draft. Look at MW, look at Anthony Richardson who I believe someone will reach for in the first round (looking at you Ravens.)

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

I don't think Anthony Richardson will last in the NFL.

If he doesn’t become more consistent with passing he won’t 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Ok after spring ball, I think I need to revisit this. The portal window is going to be VERY interesting. 

Will Freeze pick up QB, OL depth pieces, an LB, and a WR with hands? If so…give me the QB and an LB and I think we can be winners this year. No? That’s ok…we are all in for 2024 and the SEC better watch out. 

my opinion, the starting QB is still out there. We are close to fielding a team that will sock some people in the mouth.

all this to say…I was hesitant about Freeze. But no more. I’m in. Let’s do this! 

PS: Harsin still sucks jelly beans.

PSS: Happy Easter. And forgive me for speaking ill of Harsin. 

Will I live long enough to see the first 4k yard passer in AU history and the first 1k WR since 99!? 🙏🤞

ECDE7C0A-A7AF-4138-82E7-AED59783C627.gif

• Like 1

I really wanted a nice day so we could actually see what the QB's and WR's could do.  What I saw instead was what appeared to be an improved O-Line that was both physical and showed ability to get to second level.  I saw some good things from individual d-linemen but also saw we we have an issue holding the Edge not sure how much holding the edge was on D-Line or LB's. Wet field and lack of throwing meant no way to judge how good DB's are or if WR's have improved.

RA with his legs and also with making more correct reads in the RPO was the best of the three QB's.

Based on remarks Hugh Freeze made he has seen improvements but is open to a Portal QB. I am assuming because of the weather that Hugh Freeze is saying he is open to a Portal QB based on what he saw during Spring not based on the game as it would not be fair to judge any QB in those conditions.

5 positives from Auburn's spring practice

Hard to believe, but the first spring practice of the Hugh Freeze era at Auburn has already concluded. In practices, scrimmages and somewhat in A-Day, we saw some positives and areas where the Tigers have improved while also observing where Freeze, his staff and players are lacking.

But let's focus on the positives right now, and there are a bunch. For this, I've limited it to the top five that I, Brian Stultz, noticed from the first practice on February 27 to the spring game on April 8. 

Here we go.

Hugh Freeze talks to his team following A-Day. (Austin Perryman/Auburn Athletics)

1. The running back room is loaded

Everyone already knew the skills that Jarquez Hunter brought to Auburn's backfield, with Freeze calling him probably the best running back he's ever coached. But the improvement of Damari Alston after his freshman season, along with the addition of speedy Brian Battie, gives the Tigers a three-headed monster. This backfield reminds you a bit of what Auburn had in 2010, with Hunter playing the Michael Dyer role. Alston is a lighter Mario Fannin, and Battie as Onterio McCalebb. 

2. Offensive line? Offensive line

If it seems that it's been quite some time since Auburn could put out a talented offensive line, it's because it has been. Freeze and his staff went to the portal hard and, along with gifted freshmen, are rebuilding the position to where it needs to be. Dillon Wade, a transfer from Tulsa, will contribute immediately, along with Gunner Britton (Western Kentucky) and Avery Jones (East Carolina). In addition, true freshman Connor Lew has garnered praise from teammates and coaches and will see time on the field. Mainstays Kam Stutts and Tate Johnson likely fill out the first-team line.

3. Justin Rogers is a beast to be dealt with

The Kentucky transfer, at 6-foot-3 and 340 lbs., will fill some major holes in the middle while requiring double teams that will help free others along the defensive line to make plays. While his tackles for loss (1.5) and sacks (0.5) were down a little last season, his tackles (36) were up. Expect both of those stats to be higher in Ron Roberts' defense. 

Kayin Lee celebrates breaking up a pass on A-Day. (Robin Conn/AuburnSports.com)

4. Two true freshmen announced their presence on defense

Get used to hearing the names Keldrick Faulk and Kayin Lee on Saturdays, as the two newcomers have already raised the eyebrows of their coaches and teammates. 

"Keldric Faulk, man, he's a monster," Cam Riley said. "He stands up at a good size. He's a good, complete edge, I would say. He's a very physical guy. He sets the edge, for a freshman, that's pretty outstanding."

"Kayin Lee is doing a great job," Wesley McGriff said. "I mean, you got to think that this guy is supposed to be getting ready to go to the prom, but he's in spring ball, making plays. The thing that's most impressive about him is we know he has the physical tools, but just off the field, I mean, he will not leave the building if he doesn't understand the coverage. He'll knock on the door and say, 'Hey Coach, I don't understand this coverage.' The first thing I do, I'll look to see if he has something to write on, and he has his notebook, and as soon as he sits down, he pulls it out and is taking notes. He wants to be great."

These two will make an impact immediately.

5. The energy and atmosphere surrounding the program are fun again

The mood is upbeat and light, from the music blaring during practice – generally, rap that the players love – to the competition to almost every aspect of the football program and facility. Many players have spoken about the different feelings in the air compared to the previous two seasons. You can see it in their enthusiasm at practice and when answering questions from the media. 

"It's more competition at practice, so that brings a lot of excitement, and everyone is having fun," Riley said. "Lots of competition."

Woodyard healthy and excited about his role in new defense

8 hours ago

AUBURN, Alabama—The highest-ranked player in the 2022 class and a longtime commitment to Alabama before flipping to Auburn, Mobile linebacker Robert Woodyard injured his knee during his senior season at Williamson High. With the knee still bothering him well into last fall, Woodyard played in just four games for the Tigers but was good enough in practice to earn the defensive scout team player of the year.

Putting in the work during the offseason, Woodyard came back this spring under Hugh Freeze and a new staff and was determined to show he was ready for his opportunity. Playing well as he continues to work on the fundamentals and techniques of playing the position, Woodyard finished up the spring and put himself in a position to get on the field much more this fall.

“I feel like I've come a long way,” Woodyard said. “Just mentally, coming off an injury, it was kind of a setback with me coming in. But me getting to know the defense more and having my teammates really pushing me, I really think I fit this defense pretty well. I think I'm smart enough to know the ins and outs of what other guys around me are doing, so I can help pick up where they lack.”

His new position coach, Josh Aldridge, said that Woodyard had a stretch of really strong play this spring, but there’s one area he wants to see more of from the young linebacker if he hopes to take the next step to become a go-to guy on defense.

“He's the type that's playing really well, but for him to be a Mike linebacker in this league, he's gotta pick it up from a vocal standpoint,” Aldridge said. “And that comes with time, when you're a young guy.”

Something that helps a player become more vocal in addition to experience is just being comfortable with what he’s doing on the field. Learning a new system under first-year coordinator Ron Roberts, Woodyard said he’s getting better and better everyday.

“As of right now, I feel like I've got it down,” he said. “But there's still more that I can learn and help other guys around me.

“I feel myself just being more consistent.”

2COMMENTS

With more confidence than he’s had since he’s been at Auburn, Woodyard feels like the best is ahead for him as he gets ready for his second year with the Tigers. 

“I feel like I will play a great role coming in as a redshirt freshman,” he said. “I feel like I will be a tremendous player in this defense.”

31 minutes ago, toddc said:

The mood is upbeat and light, from the music blaring during practice – generally, rap that the players love – to the competition to almost every aspect of the football program and facility. Many players have spoken about the different feelings in the air compared to the previous two seasons. You can see it in their enthusiasm at practice and when answering questions from the media. 

It's great to hear this, even though anyone could guess that the mood under Harsin would be the worst possible. It's hard to perform well when you aren't happy. I think Freeze & staff have enough sense to understand this. Happy team, happy office, happy household....all goes better with upbeat, positive vibes.

• Like 2

View clip from above.