Spring Practice Updates…

toddc

6 minutes ago, toddc said:

Sorry if I’m double posting.

No apologies!  You're not...or at least I don't know if you are.  I was being real. I appreciate all of y'all that bring info and articles and such.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Appreciate it @toddc

These articles are much better than the ones 50 post! 

😁

thanx for blowing my skirt up bird....i was not wearing undies..........you know golf is better looking right?

4 hours ago, CCTAU said:

Some of these girls finna drag you...

it would be nothing to brag about i can assure you.............lol

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

thanx for blowing my skirt up bird....i was not wearing undies..........you know golf is better looking right?

I'm okay with you being more attracted to Golf. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Agree.  We need to let the coaches, admins, and TV execs be the sole beneficiaries of college sports

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I'm okay you being more attracted to Golf. 

he paid me to say that bird............honest.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

he paid me to say that bird............honest.

I'm not judging your exchange of money for services... really 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, bigbird said:

not judging your exchange of money for services

Well that's good cause on the 15 or so trips I've been to Vegas...........what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Holy Cow!

• Like 2

• Thanks 2

Alston maturing and growing his skillset during spring ball

By Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer 

April 4, 2023 | 9:50am CDT

Auburn runningback Damari Alston (22) bursts through the seams for a 35-yard gain in the second quarter against San Jose State University in Jordan-Hare Stadium on Sep. 10, 2022.

Auburn runningback Damari Alston (22) bursts through the seams for a 35-yard gain in the second quarter against San Jose State University in Jordan-Hare Stadium on Sep. 10, 2022.  

Photo by Larry Robinson | Photo Editor | The Auburn Plainsman

Auburn football has undergone a massive change over the last several months, and many players believe the program has changed for the better. 

“I feel like it was kind of a blessing in disguise. You know, things happen, and it is what it is, but I feel like when coach (Hugh) Freeze came, a lot of coaches changed,” said running back Damari Alston. “I feel a change in the relationship that I have with coach Freeze than I had with the previous staff, and I feel like I can talk to coach Freeze anytime that I want to. That’s always been the way with Cadillac (Williams), and I’m happy that Cadillac is still here.” 

Although Williams was named interim head coach briefly, the running back coach’s approach to teaching his guys has not changed. 

“Cadillac is just gonna be Cadillac. You know, ever since I came in, he’s always coached us the same. He’s always been a real stand-up guy," Alston said. "He always kept it real on and off the field, and I feel nothing is going to change. He’s going to remain the same." 

Freeze plans to utilize all his running backs by rotating them throughout the game, and Alston, who was in a limited role last season, is excited about the chance to get more touches.

“I love that. Loved that. I want to be more involved in the offense this year and play a crucial role,” Alston said.

Former Auburn running back Tank Bigsby had a lasting impact on Auburn football and his fellow running backs. Although Bigsby is off to the NFL, his impact played a big role on Alston.

“I learned a lot from Tank. I was really close with Tank before I came in, so he always told me little pieces of advice,” Alston said. “You know, he was always texting me and facetiming me, telling me to ‘stay focused' and ‘stay ready.’”

With Bigsby headed to the NFL, Jarquez Hunter has taken the leadership role in the running back room.

“I feel like Jarquez is just always the guy that leads by example. The things that he does, you know, you want to follow him because he’s doing things right, and he’s doing it his way,” Alston said. 

During the offseason, Alston has spent a lot of time in the weight room, getting stronger and faster. 

“My thing was just getting bigger, stronger and faster. That was my whole thing this offseason, and I’ve been working my tail off to just improve in those areas because I’m playing some big boy ball in the SEC,” Alston said.

The sophomore running back caught new offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery's eye already.

“He’s got really good vision. I think he’s learning to be more patient within his running style. And then when he hits it, he’s got a really good gear,” Montgomery said. “I’ve thought from the start of spring camp, he’s the guy that’s probably surprised me a little bit more out of the running back room than anybody.”

The running back room welcomed USF transfer Brian Battie with open arms to its roster. Battie brings experience and speed to the field as the 5-foot-8 running back ran for 1,186 yards and eight touchdowns last season.

“We brought (Brian Battie) with open arms, and you know, ever since then, we’ve all just been going out and just competing, helping each other out on the field and off the field,” Alston said. “He definitely adds some speed and quickness. He’s a really quick guy. He can obviously take kicks back as well.” 

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, toddc said:

Holy Cow!

The guy is jacked for a CB too and looks over 21.  He’s about as swole as Damari.

• Like 2

Competition, communication highlight Auburn's offensive line improvements this spring

Ellie Oldham•about 19 hours

AUBURN — It’s no secret that Auburn needed to dramatically improve the offensive line room during the offseason. First-year Auburn offensive line coach Jake Thornton and assistant Kendall Simmons worked hard to recruit new talent and improve the veteran presence since Thornton’s arrival.

Kameron Stutts, returning to Auburn for his sixth season, recognizes the positive moves being made.

“I think I can speak a lot from the O-line room, because we’ve meshed a lot,” Stutts said.

Stutts joins Jeremiah Wright, Tate Johnson, Jalil Irvin, Garner Langlo, Colby Smith, Cort Bradley and E.J. Harris as returning players along the offensive front. Thornton and Simmons helped add transfers Gunner Britton, Avery Jones and Dillon Wade, plus junior college signee Izavion Miller, and high school signees Bradyn Joiner, Connor Lew and Clay Wedin.

JOIN AUBURN LIVE FOR $6/MONTH RIGHT NOW AND RECEIVE ACCESS THROUGH AUGUST 31

Associate head coach and running backs coach Carnell Williams certainly sees a difference being made.

“Hats off to Coach Thornton and Coach Simmons and those guys working up front,” Williams said. “I think our O-line should be one of our strengths. They’re long, athletic, they have that chemistry already as a unit where they are playing together, feeding off each other, and I’m a firm believer when you get five group of men up front playing together, where we might be less talented, you can overcome that with chemistry.

“Those guys have had a tremendous spring picking up this new scheme, picking up things we want to do in the run game. It’s been exciting.”

Stutts specifically loves the level of communication happening among the new-look group.

“I think the communication has gotten a lot better, just meshing together and figuring out all the small things, the little details,” Stutts said. “We’ve done a really good job going in, studying, getting extra work in. Just trying to make that final jump. We’ve had the talent the whole time, we just have to get those little things right and just get that stuff down so we can really get together and be as good as I know we can be.”

Auburn has only produced one 1,000-yard rusher in the last five seasons. Tank Bigsby finished with 1,099 yards in 2021, but that’s it. And Auburn’s overall offensive production hasn’t fared any better, finishing 86h, 68th and 88th in total offense the last three seasons.

“We’ve had some struggles on offense recently, so to come out this spring and to be doing as good as we are towards the end — I know we all really want to finish and have a last good couple of practices, then going into A-Day, finish strong there,” Stutts said.

“But, it really helps going into summer with that confidence and everybody having a good feeling about it. That’ll lead on into the season and fall camp and keep it going through December and January.”

Auburn may add more offensive line in the April transfer portal, but that remains to be seen. For now, the additional bodies mixed with the returning players has seemingly produced decent competition throughout spring camp. And that competition, Stutts believes, will pay massive dividends come September.

“That’s how it should be. Iron sharpens iron, so whenever you’ve got dudes — like I said, we’ve been meshing well. Whenever you’re competing against your brother, at the end of the day it’s I’m trying to take your spot and you’re trying to take my spot. At the same time, we still go out to eat, there’s no hard feelings about anything. That’s how you breed good teams,” Stutts said.

“It’s all about the competitiveness. You’ve got to have it. I think we’ve done a really good job at that. Going in, there was no spot safe anywhere on the team because you’ve got new coaching staff, you’ve got tons of new dudes. Across the board, everybody is like that. Nobody has had any hurt feelings or anything, everybody is competing and having a good time, so it’s been really good.”

Auburn will scrimmage inside Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday, April 8 for their annual A-Day game. It will be the Tigers’ final spring practice of camp.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, toddc said:

Competition, communication highlight Auburn's offensive line improvements this spring

Untitled design-52 Kameron Stutts (Photo by Auburn Athletics)

AUBURN — It’s no secret that Auburn needed to dramatically improve the offensive line room during the offseason. First-year Auburn offensive line coach Jake Thornton and assistant Kendall Simmonsworked hard to recruit new talent and improve the veteran presence since Thornton’s arrival.

Kameron Stutts, returning to Auburn for his sixth season, recognizes the positive moves being made.

“I think I can speak a lot from the O-line room, because we’ve meshed a lot,” Stutts said.

Stutts joins Jeremiah Wright, Tate Johnson, Jalil Irvin, Garner Langlo, Colby Smith, Cort Bradley and E.J. Harris as returning players along the offensive front. Thornton and Simmons helped add transfers Gunner Britton, Avery Jones and Dillon Wade, plus junior college signee Izavion Miller, and high school signees Bradyn Joiner, Connor Lew and Clay Wedin.

Associate head coach and running backs coach Carnell Williams certainly sees a difference being made.

“Hats off to Coach Thornton and Coach Simmons and those guys working up front,” Williams said. “I think our O-line should be one of our strengths. They’re long, athletic, they have that chemistry already as a unit where they are playing together, feeding off each other, and I’m a firm believer when you get five group of men up front playing together, where we might be less talented, you can overcome that with chemistry. 

“Those guys have had a tremendous spring picking up this new scheme, picking up things we want to do in the run game. It’s been exciting.”

Stutts specifically loves the level of communication happening among the new-look group.

“I think the communication has gotten a lot better, just meshing together and figuring out all the small things, the little details,” Stutts said. “We’ve done a really good job going in, studying, getting extra work in. Just trying to make that final jump. We’ve had the talent the whole time, we just have to get those little things right and just get that stuff down so we can really get together and be as good as I know we can be.”

Auburn has only produced one 1,000-yard rusher in the last five seasons. Tank Bigsbyfinished with 1,099 yards in 2021, but that’s it. And Auburn’s overall offensive production hasn’t fared any better, finishing 86h, 68th and 88th in total offense the last three seasons.

“We’ve had some struggles on offense recently, so to come out this spring and to be doing as good as we are towards the end — I know we all really want to finish and have a last good couple of practices, then going into A-Day, finish strong there,” Stutts said. 

“But, it really helps going into summer with that confidence and everybody having a good feeling about it. That’ll lead on into the season and fall camp and keep it going through December and January.”

Auburn may add more offensive line in the April transfer portal, but that remains to be seen. For now, the additional bodies mixed with the returning players has seemingly produced decent competition throughout spring camp. And that competition, Stutts believes, will pay massive dividends come September.

“That’s how it should be. Iron sharpens iron, so whenever you’ve got dudes — like I said, we’ve been meshing well. Whenever you’re competing against your brother, at the end of the day it’s I’m trying to take your spot and you’re trying to take my spot. At the same time, we still go out to eat, there’s no hard feelings about anything. That’s how you breed good teams,” Stutts said.

“It’s all about the competitiveness. You’ve got to have it. I think we’ve done a really good job at that. Going in, there was no spot safe anywhere on the team because you’ve got new coaching staff, you’ve got tons of new dudes. Across the board, everybody is like that. Nobody has had any hurt feelings or anything, everybody is competing and having a good time, so it’s been really good.”

Auburn will scrimmage inside Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday, April 8 for their annual A-Day game. It will be the Tigers’ final spring practice of camp.

Love the read. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DAG said:

Love the read. Thanks for sharing.

Apparently you need more than just warm bodies to have any depth...

baited-toddler.gif

• Haha 1

25 quotes of note from Auburn players and coaches this spring

By NATHAN KING6 hrs

0 Comments

AUBURN, Alabama — With just one more walkthrough practice to go Friday before A-Day, Auburn's first spring under Hugh Freezeare coming to a close. The Tigers will finish off their 15 practices with what looks to be a rainy spring game Saturday afternoon in Jordan-Hare Stadium (1 p.m. CST, SEC Network+).

In all, 15 different Tigers, along with all 10 assistant coaches, chatted with local reporters this spring about the coaching change, goals for 2023, standout players in the spring, freshmen, quarterbacks and more.

In position order, here's one standout quote from each over the past five weeks of spring ball.

RB Jarquez Hunter, on Auburn’s new offensive line additions: “They work harder. I see them every day in the weight room, working hard on the field, conditioning and running. They're going to play their butts off. They go out there on the field and they work. They're much faster and quicker type of O-linemen, and they move better.”

RB Damari Alston, on the new coaches: “I feel a change in the relationship that I have with Coach Freeze than I had with the previous staff. I feel like I can talk to Coach Freeze anytime that I want to. That's always been the way with Cadillac.”

WR Camden Brown, on the offensive tempo:“I’m not going to lie, it brings me back to St. Thomas (Aquinas) ... going back to the fast stuff. Going back to last year, I had never been in a huddle before. It’s kind of weird because it was slowing down my play. I love going faster and faster and faster everyday. Last year at some times when we started going fast we were getting them, and when we started going slow we were giving them rest.”

TE Rivaldo Fairweather, on switching sports in high school: “It’s a funny joke: My basketball coach used to tell me, because I was always the biggest and the strongest on the basketball court, I used to get fouled out a lot. So, my coaches, they just told me, ‘Hey, like you should try to play football.’ I used to always play around with football, but I never took it serious. I really locked in on playing football and focused and perfected everything. My trainers and stuff, they really helped me with that.”

TE Luke Deal, on his role as a veteran: “Each and every year you just kind of find your role and try to develop through a team every year. Being one of the older guys, it’s nice to be one of the guys that people come and talk to, ask about. I value that a lot. I’m just trying to be a leader every day in our room, outside of our room, especially with everybody learning a new offense.”

OG Jeremiah Wright, on sticking on the offensive line of scrimmage: “I talked, prayed with my mom and grandmom and gone through everything and just felt in my heart that's what I wanted to do — stay on the O-line and just get my footwork, technique, everything down. I want to be one of the greats to do it.”

OG Kameron Stutts, on the offensive line’s strong couple weeks to close out spring: “It’s really big. We’ve had some struggles on offense recently, so to come out this spring and to be doing as good as we are towards the end, I know we all really want to finish and have a last good couple of practices. Going into A-Day, finish strong there. It really helps going into the summer with confidence and everybody having a good feeling about it.”

DT Marcus Harris, on the depth of this year’s defensive line: “If you're really a dog, you want competition. You've got somebody else competing next to you that you know is not going to just allow somebody to come take his spot. You feel me? Like, he's competing. He wants to be that guy. Competition, that's the best thing I think could happen to this D-line room.”

DE Jeffrey M’ba, on the coaches’ plans to rotate more on the D-line: “Last year we didn’t play a lot of D-line — and I know we were gassed at times. So to have some people that can go in and play and stuff, and I feel like the way the coach designed the D-line, they want to play a lot of players. And I like this idea because last year I feel like it was complicated.”

JACK Elijah McAllister, on what it takes to have a successful coaching change: “You can have new facilities, new uniforms, new coaches — everything can change around you. But it's about what's inside that locker room that produces the best product on the field. That comes with language, interaction with people, how you carry yourself every single day, practice habits which will eventually turn into gameday habits, which will allow you to hopefully have success. I think it all comes down to the players — not negating the impact the coaches have on people, but they can only do so much.”

LB Cam Riley, on the culture shift this offseason: “I would say the biggest change was everyone came together. I know you hear that a lot, but I actually kind of feel like everyone actually came together this year. I feel like there were a lot of things going on last year within the team that brought a lot of adversity and things like that, which caused a lot of division. But I felt like everyone actually came together and wants to play as one. We preach everyday about Auburn and getting back to what it used to be with winning games.”

LB Wesley Steiner, on the new defensive scheme: “I don’t see it much differently. It’s just the way we kind of speak it. Obviously, there’s a few things that are a little different, but just for me, concept-wise I think things are the same, so it’s not too hard to learn.”

CB D.J. James, on his decision to return for another year: “This school is a family. They have treated me like family since I got recruited here. I trust Auburn. I feel like my best interest and the best situation for me was to come back to school for another year.”

DB Keionte Scott, on the team’s attitude carrying over from last season: “When Coach Caddy got the job, that was a little flash of how we react with our backs against the wall. I definitely liked how everyone reacted to it. Now with more adversity with a new coach coming in and everyone’s slate being clean — and Coach Freeze letting everyone know they’ve got a chance, it puts everyone’s back against the wall. Everyone gets a chance to battle adversity again. It’s definitely something that everyone is looking at in a positive light.”

S Zion Puckett, on his future: “A lot of coaches have been telling me they can see a coach in me. I feel like once you try to drive yourself away from the game, I really think the game will bring you back. I feel like, going down the road, I might be a coach somewhere. I feel like I can impact children and also other people around me the right way.”

OC Philip Montgomery, on the group that’s stood out to him: “Offensive line, I think, has been a real positive surprise throughout the spring. I think the guys that we've been able to add to that room have made an impact. I think we're more athletic than what we've been, I think those guys are moving well. I think they understand what we're doing up front. I love the way they're approaching practice every day, that has been one of our strong suits throughout spring ball.”

RB coach Cadillac Williams, on what he learned from his time as Auburn’s interim coach: “Being thrown on that stage and having to address the whole team from staff and media a lot more, I just think the confidence part of it. Also it just made me feel like the good Lord has me here for a reason. I think I have truly found my purpose in life. That’s to always give back, serve and help folks in any way I can.”

WR coach Marcus Davis, on the emergence of Camden Brown: “He’s a younger guy who wants to do it right. His approach to it is super. I love his approach. I was just talking to them about it this morning and I think that’s what separates him is his mindset and his approach. You see the steady growth every day. I think that is a big part of how he approaches the game.”

TE coach Ben Aigamaua, on Hugh Freeze’s recruiting prowess: “Coach Freeze is a machine when it comes to recruiting. We love it as coaches because we go as he goes. So, we're out there in the middle of practice, FaceTime with recruits, showing them what we have to offer, showing them practice. And the recruits love it. … Recruiting is the lifeline of this program. I've always said, if you're not doing it, somebody else is.”

OL coach Jake Thornton, on rebuilding an inconsistent offensive line from the past few seasons: “It's certainly exciting. To do it at a place like Auburn is something that I've always wanted to come and do. As far as the pressure, this is the SEC. So any situation, any team, any game — everything is pressure-filled. But that's why we as competitors do that, and that's why we accept these challenges. I'm excited about it. I couldn't ask for a better group as far as work ethic.”

DC Ron Roberts, on how many players he needs in his defensive rotations: "I think we're probably in the 16-17 category (right now), and I think you have to be somewhere in the 24-25. So, there's about nine players or so where we're saying, you've got to come along. We need you to develop to either be ready to go — whether it be for limited reps, whether it be for 10 reps, spotting through a game if it comes time to step up, somebody goes down and we can fill a spot without taking a major drop-off. And that's the biggest thing.”

DL coach Jeremy Garrett, on the leadership of Marcus Harris: “What I enjoy about Marcus is the accountability that he takes in his play and for the room and his work ethic. I check on the strength coaches, how’s he doing in the weight room. I check on him academically how he’s doing. He’s a guy that’s putting it together for us in all three phases of what we want, being a great student-athlete and just doing his job on and off the field. That’s important to me because you don’t have any distractions.”

LB coach Josh Aldridge, on why his group has impressed this spring: “Regardless if you were to say we had the most talented room — that might not be the case — but I believe we have the most guys with similar traits. So we have the most competition, I think, on our team. Probably. It's fun to watch those guys practice.”

CB coach Wesley McGriff, on returning for his third stint at Auburn: "I walked right back into my home. It's good to be back home. In this profession, you move a lot. But it's been one transition where I didn't have to make a lot of adjustments. You know where everything is when you walk back into your house, and it's a blessing."

S coach Zac Etheridge, on Jaylin Simpson’s full-time move to safety: “I think Simp has found himself a home. I think he's an elite player — that if he holds onto everything that goes in football off the field, he can be a Sunday player. Just seeing his range, his athleticism, his ability to play man-to-man in the slot, the things that he can do, he can tackle well. So, his upside at that position is through the roof if he embraces it and studies the game like he should, I think he'll be a Sunday pick.”

• Thanks 1

SIAP but Jason Caldwell said on The Drive yesterday that Robby has been the best QB the past 7-10 days and is now running with the 1s. Says RA has made a big leap forward.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, toddc said:

Untitled design-52 Kameron Stutts (Photo by Auburn Athletics)

AUBURN — It’s no secret that Auburn needed to dramatically improve the offensive line room during the offseason. First-year Auburn offensive line coach Jake Thornton and assistant Kendall Simmonsworked hard to recruit new talent and improve the veteran presence since Thornton’s arrival.

Auburn has only produced one 1,000-yard rusher in the last five seasons. Tank Bigsbyfinished with 1,099 yards in 2021, but that’s it. And Auburn’s overall offensive production hasn’t fared any better, finishing 86h, 68th and 88th in total offense the last three seasons.

Why do so many articles appear black on dark mode. I can't read anything except hyperlinks since they're in blue. Am I doing something wrong?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Why do so many articles appear black on dark mode. I can't read anything except hyperlinks since they're in blue. Am I doing something wrong?

@Potatooooooes!! because @toddc pastes from sites that use black font with white background. He also likely does not use our dark mode so he is probably unaware the articles he pastes are unreadable to those of us who use dark mode. I have asked him before when pasting articles to click on paste as plain text at the bottom of the article after it has been 1st pasted but I don't believe it has sunk in yet.

Also I edited his original post so you can read it.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

SIAP but Jason Caldwell said on The Drive yesterday that Robby has been the best QB the past 7-10 days and is now running with the 1s. Says RA has made a big leap forward.

Ahhhh so unpredictable. The best potential though , if he ever gets competent with his passing .

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Potatooooooes!! because @toddc pastes from sites that use black font with white background. He also likely does not use our dark mode so he is probably unaware the articles he pastes are unreadable to those of us who use dark mode. I have asked him before when pasting articles to click on paste as plain text at the bottom of the article after it has been 1st pasted but I don't believe it has sunk in yet.

Also I edited his original post so you can read it.

You’ve never asked me that before and I post most articles in plain text. I’m seeing them fine when I post and this is the first time I’ve heard this. This is more of an IT problem than a poster problem. The articles I post don’t have black backgrounds. The reason I post some without plain text is because I want the pictures to show.

Edited by toddc

Four, count ‘em, four, 5* receivers will be at A-Day

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

If this happens you can click on to light mode and read them. This is the first time I’ve heard this was happening. Sorry, I’ll try to post all articles as plain text. The only problem with this is the pictures disappear.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, toddc said:

You’ve never asked me that before and I post most articles in plain text. I’m seeing them fine when I post and this is the first time I’ve heard this.

Yes I have. You just may not realize that's what I was telling you about a year or so ago. And instead of asking you again I have reformatted almost all your articles I have come across the past couple weeks so dark mode users can read it. A heads up. When a post is concerted to plain text there is no more pics in the article so if you still see pics then it has not been converted.

ETA: I see you know that about the pics.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes I have. You just may not realize that's what I was telling you about a year or so ago. And instead of asking you again I have reformatted almost all your articles I have come across the past couple weeks. A heads up. When a post is concerted to plain text there is no more pics in the article so if you still see pics then it has not been converted.

You’ve not told me that I remember and I think it only became a problem when the site was updated a few months back that I know of. I’m not as stupid as you seem to think. If you can’t post pictures with the articles (which is weird) without it messing up then that’s a problem the IT guys can probably fix. 

Edited by toddc

20 minutes ago, toddc said:

This is more of an IT problem than a poster problem.

It usually is handled by the website & swapping the font color.  But yes, all of your articles don't show anything for users using dark theme

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1