Spring Practice Updates…

toddc

Auburn offense down 2 contributors for rest of spring practice

38 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn's football team will be down a couple veterans on offense for the rest of the spring.

Junior center Tate Johnson and senior receiver Malcolm Johnson Jr. will miss the rest of spring practice Auburn coach Hugh Freeze told local reporters Monday afternoon, with elbow and collarbone injuries, respectively.

Johnson had season-ending elbow surgery last season after starting the first four games of the season at center, while Johnson Jr. has been dealing with a nagging injuries the past couple years and missed seven games in 2022. Freeze said he expects the receiver back in June.

A former 4-star prospect in the 2020 class, Johnson Jr. has just eight receptions for 110 yards and a touchdown in three seasons.

Johnson had been taking first-team reps at left guard early in spring ball.

• Thanks 1

Quick Quotes: Hugh Freeze opens Auburn's third week of spring practice

39 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama — With the first scrimmage now in the books, the heat continues to turn up for the Tigers at spring practice.

Hugh Freeze and Auburn are now gearing up for Week 3 of spring practice, set to get under way Monday. It'll be an eventful week on the Plains, with NFL draft hopefuls coming back Tuesday for pro day.

Follow along here for updates from Freeze's press conference Monday.

* Freeze says his quarterbacks are "very coachable" but "I wish we were further along" after watching Friday's scrimmage.

* Freeze and the offensive coaches had a quarterback-only meeting Sunday to go over goals for the next couple weeks of the spring.

* Auburn's next scrimmage this Friday will be more of a traditional scrimmage, while the first one last Friday was more of a situational walkthrough.

* The position groups that have the most work to do right now are quarterbacks and wide receivers, Freeze says

* Camden Brown had a back-shoulder touchdown in the first scrimmage

* Freeze says the quarterbacks not being live at the moment reminds him of when he had Malik Willis at Liberty, and he had "no clue" whether he'd be a "complete" quarterback until the season started and he got to display his mobility

* Freeze on Robby Ashford: "I think it might be hard to evaluate how good he might be, practicing the way we do."

Freeze on the JACK pass-rusher group: "Keldric Faulk's got a chance. He's a young kid right now, but he's what they're supposed to look like."

* More Freeze on Faulk: "I think he's a phenomenal kid, and he's going to have to play early."

* The list this morning is longer than 

Tate Johnson is "most likely" out for the rest of spring with a sprained elbow, per Hugh Freeze.

* Receiver Malcolm Johnson Jr. is also out the rest of spring with a collarbone injury

3COMMENTS

* The quarterbacks are holding some of the offense's progression back so far in terms of install

* Some leaders Freeze shouts out: JACK Elijah McAllister, OL Tate Johnson, NT Jayson Jones, "all the tight ends"

• Thanks 2

Was coming to tell about Tate's elbow.  He'll be out the rest of spring and he was really doing well.  It's a pretty good hit.

• Sad 1

I’m liking what I’m hearing about our DL!!!!   Jones, Rogers, and Mba are going to be terror!!!   If McAlister, Faulk, or others can be good at the Jack position, we’re going to have a real defense!!!!

Man, that stinks to hear about Tate!!!   He’s a fantastic kid and I was loving hearing all the good things about him this spring.    So now it’s likely between Miller and Stutts for that final Guard spot.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, toddc said:

Auburn offense down 2 contributors for rest of spring practice

38 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn's football team will be down a couple veterans on offense for the rest of the spring.

Junior center Tate Johnson and senior receiver Malcolm Johnson Jr. will miss the rest of spring practice Auburn coach Hugh Freeze told local reporters Monday afternoon, with elbow and collarbone injuries, respectively.

Johnson had season-ending elbow surgery last season after starting the first four games of the season at center, while Johnson Jr. has been dealing with a nagging injuries the past couple years and missed seven games in 2022. Freeze said he expects the receiver back in June.

A former 4-star prospect in the 2020 class, Johnson Jr. has just eight receptions for 110 yards and a touchdown in three seasons.

Johnson had been taking first-team reps at left guard early in spring ball.

Why did I know who the players were before I even read the article?!😶

11 minutes ago, JOSEPHIAMLEGEND75@GMAIL.CO said:

Why did I know who the players were before I even read the article?!😶

ESP ??

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I’m liking what I’m hearing about our DL!!!!   Jones, Rogers, and Mba are going to be terror!!!   If McAlister, Faulk, or others can be good at the Jack position, we’re going to have a real defense!!!!

Man, that stinks to hear about Tate!!!   He’s a fantastic kid and I was loving hearing all the good things about him this spring.    So now it’s likely between Miller and Stutts for that final Guard spot.  

Don't forgets about Harris.  

I think we start the year like this...

DE            NT           DT          "Jack"

Harris    Rogers    Jones      McAllister 

MBa       Jones      ???            Faulk

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

???- Zykeivous Walker maybe?

• Like 1

Freeze wants to see improved play from Auburn's quarterbacks

66 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama–With the Tigers into the third week of spring football practice, Coach Hugh Freeze made it clear on Monday that he is not pleased with the progress of Auburn’s quarterbacks. Freeze said he wants to see better play from Robby Ashford, T.J. Finley and Holden Geriner.

“They are very coachable,” Freeze said. “It is very new what we are asking them to do. Truthfully, I wish we were further along after watching Friday’s tape, but it is certainly not from a lack of want-to and I am not even sure it is a lack of can-do.

“I think we have to coach it better,” he said. “Hopefully, we will see a turn towards a better understanding of what we are trying to do this week.

“Again, I have been very encouraged by their willingness to listen and to be coached,” Freeze said. “We met a good while yesterday (Sunday), just me making sure we are all saying the same things about what we are wanting to do whether it is our RPO (run/pass option) offense or our progressions and reads so, hopefully, we can coach it a little better this week.

“Practice seven, eight and nine this week, hopefully, we elevate the play there,” Freeze said. The Tigers will get 15 total days of spring practices, including the annual A-Day contest on April 13th. The first major scrimmage is scheduled for this Friday with SEC officials at the session.

Freeze said the Tigers will be installing offense before Friday’s scrimmage. “We have a lot of work to do before we get to that point,” he noted.

11683214.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 T.J. Finley prepares to throw a pass in Monday's practice. (Photo: Jason Caldwell, 247Sports)

Ashford finished the 2022 season as the starting quarterback. Earlier in the season Finley was No. 1 on the depth chart prior to being injured. Geriner played just briefly last fall as a true freshman and redshirted. Those are the only three quarterbacks on the spring roster.

Freeze said there is nothing wrong with the attitude or work ethic of the QBs, but added, "I don't like the inconsistencies that I have continued to see through six (practices). I think part of that is on us, the staff, to get fixed. I have challenged myself and the quarterback to get some this fixed, the inconsistencies." He said he doesn't want the QB issues to be because of being indecisive or a lack of understanding when they need to be do. "Hopefully, by the end of the week we will see it being more consistent."

Looking at the passing game as a whole, Auburn’s new head coach said, “The two positions that stand out to me right now where we just have a long way to go are the quarterback room and the wide receiver room. I am not saying we have arrived at other spots. Those are the farthest off because they are probably–because, truthfully, we ask them to do the most and it is brand new to them.

4COMMENTS

“Which RPO should be run based on what coverage I see? How do I properly get off the technique the DB is playing. We are very, very raw at that right now.”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, toddc said:

Freeze wants to see improved play from Auburn's quarterbacks

66 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama–With the Tigers into the third week of spring football practice, Coach Hugh Freeze made it clear on Monday that he is not pleased with the progress of Auburn’s quarterbacks. Freeze said he wants to see better play from Robby Ashford, T.J. Finley and Holden Geriner.

“They are very coachable,” Freeze said. “It is very new what we are asking them to do. Truthfully, I wish we were further along after watching Friday’s tape, but it is certainly not from a lack of want-to and I am not even sure it is a lack of can-do.

“I think we have to coach it better,” he said. “Hopefully, we will see a turn towards a better understanding of what we are trying to do this week.

“Again, I have been very encouraged by their willingness to listen and to be coached,” Freeze said. “We met a good while yesterday (Sunday), just me making sure we are all saying the same things about what we are wanting to do whether it is our RPO (run/pass option) offense or our progressions and reads so, hopefully, we can coach it a little better this week.

“Practice seven, eight and nine this week, hopefully, we elevate the play there,” Freeze said. The Tigers will get 15 total days of spring practices, including the annual A-Day contest on April 13th. The first major scrimmage is scheduled for this Friday with SEC officials at the session.

Freeze said the Tigers will be installing offense before Friday’s scrimmage. “We have a lot of work to do before we get to that point,” he noted.

11683214.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 T.J. Finley prepares to throw a pass in Monday's practice. (Photo: Jason Caldwell, 247Sports)

Ashford finished the 2022 season as the starting quarterback. Earlier in the season Finley was No. 1 on the depth chart prior to being injured. Geriner played just briefly last fall as a true freshman and redshirted. Those are the only three quarterbacks on the spring roster.

Freeze said there is nothing wrong with the attitude or work ethic of the QBs, but added, "I don't like the inconsistencies that I have continued to see through six (practices). I think part of that is on us, the staff, to get fixed. I have challenged myself and the quarterback to get some this fixed, the inconsistencies." He said he doesn't want the QB issues to be because of being indecisive or a lack of understanding when they need to be do. "Hopefully, by the end of the week we will see it being more consistent."

Looking at the passing game as a whole, Auburn’s new head coach said, “The two positions that stand out to me right now where we just have a long way to go are the quarterback room and the wide receiver room. I am not saying we have arrived at other spots. Those are the farthest off because they are probably–because, truthfully, we ask them to do the most and it is brand new to them.

4COMMENTS

“Which RPO should be run based on what coverage I see? How do I properly get off the technique the DB is playing. We are very, very raw at that right now.”

Remember when we would here similar statements on QB expectations the last decade? Yeah, me either 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Remember when we would here similar statements on QB expectations the last decade? Yeah, me either 

Yeah . He seemed to be very restraint too but you can tell he is pissed. That’s terrible…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I did.  🤦‍♂️

That looks like a pretty solid DL to me!! 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Maybe the Maryland transfer at 2nd DT?

• Like 2

Freeze is phrasing it the right way, but it's not good when the HC says he wishes they were further along and "we have to coach it better." IMO, he is shifting blame off QB's that just don't have it. 

We have a problem at QB, which most of us already knew. I will be surprised if any of the 3 start the first game of the season. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

So, is Finley still expected to transfer after spring? Or has that changed?

Nobody knows 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

So, is Finley still expected to transfer after spring? Or has that changed?

Smart money says he was over Harsin and ready to leave (who could blame him) and then was at least somewhat reinvigorated by Freeze and one more opportunity to win the starting job. If he's the starter he stays, if not he goes. 

That's just my guess.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Smart money says he was over Harsin and ready to leave (who could blame him) and then was at least somewhat reinvigorated by Freeze and one more opportunity to win the starting job. If he's the starter he stays, if not he goes. 

That's just my guess.

But, if Danny Hugh doesn't name a starter till fall camp, TJ would be taking a risk. I just gotta believe  Danny Hugh has got an ace up his sleeve regarding a transfer QB. Reading between the lines of what he says, he knows he can't win with the 3 he has.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

But, if Danny Hugh doesn't name a starter till fall camp, TJ would be taking a risk. I just gotta believe  Danny Hugh has got an ace up his sleeve regarding a transfer QB. Reading between the lines of what he says, he knows he can't win with the 3 he has.

I'm still shocked Freeze didn't bring in a transfer QB before spring. But I agree he either has an ace up his sleeve or he is confident he can find someone post-Spring. 

26 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Question is, can we actually land one?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Biggest question of Freeze's first year, IMO. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

That' not a bad guess at all. It is really difficult to project the starting DL just because there are so many ways it could go ...which is a great place to be in. 

What I love is we have several BIG bodies to rotate at NT an DT. I think Rogers locks down the starting job at NT, but he is a big boy and will need plenty of help. 

Nasili-Kite will be in the 2 deep as well I think. 

here is my bold prediction.....starter at Jack will be Keldrick Faulk by game 4 at the latest. 

8 hours ago, AUwent said:

@AUwent That is not the question. The question is will there be any in the portal Hugh sees as enough of an upgrade to take?

We could have had Sanders had Hugh wanted him.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

Feel like either the transfer from Purdue or Maryland will be the DT over JJ whom seems to fit more in line with a NT...but it could be two heavy guys early on run downs.  We have a lot of depth options inside for the first time in a while and hopefully benefit from a lot of rotation.  I think all the sites putting out their Spring Depth Chart guesses had a variety mixes of players/positions.

Rogers, Jones and even Johnson can play the NT.  Kite seems more of 2/3.  I'm guessing Walker will be the 3rd DE and get limited time.

• Like 1