Spring Practice Updates…

toddc

Mark my words spring football edition:

Holden will ball out at Aday and message board hero’s will anoint him QB1.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

The kiss of death is to ball out at A-Day 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Improved health, freshman standout aid Auburn's O-line equation

ByNATHAN KING 36 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama — The Tigers’ rebuilt offensive line still has plenty of progress to make before the season begins. But as Auburn spring practices draw within two weeks till close, the unit is at least gaining clarity in terms of solidifying a first- and second-team group, as was Hugh Freeze’s hope this spring.

Helping that goal has been some young players stepping up, along with an unexpected return from injury for a veteran offensive lineman. 

After Freeze initially assessed redshirt junior Tate Johnson with an elbow injury that would hold him out the rest of spring, he returned to practice Monday and was back in the starting lineup in pace drills during the media’s viewing window.

Johnson, Auburn’s starting center for the first four games last season before a season-ending elbow injury, has been re-inserted at right guard, complementing Jeremiah Wright at the other guard spot, East Carolina transfer Avery Jones at center, Tulsa transfer Dillon Wade at left tackle and Western Kentucky transfer Gunner Britton at right tackle. At the moment, that appears to be Auburn’s most likely grouping for a starting offensive line for the final five practices of spring ball.

“I honestly don’t have a lot of worries about the chemistry that will come together in that room,” Freeze said Monday. “It’s still new to them all and they’re still learning, but that’s not really something that I’m concerned about.”

When Johnson was sidelined, though, a true freshman took advantage and even earned first-team reps. Last week, 4-star prospect Connor Lew worked as the Tigers’ starting left guard, while Wright shifted over to the right side. 

And with Johnson back, the 6-foot-3, 280-pound Lew was slotted Monday as the backup center. 

“I think we hit a home run with Connor Lew” Freeze said Monday. "Connor Lew is going to play for us as a freshman. Needs to gain some weight. Hopefully that'll happen in the offseason, but he's smart, tough, strong. Moves well. Hopefully he — He learns the game. We're playing him both at center and guard and seems to be grasping it very well. So, expect him to play as a freshman.”

Lew is one of a few early enrollee freshmen to receive high marks from the coaching staff this spring, but as Freeze said, that can be a double-edged sword. Players like Lew and pass-rusher Keldric Faulk have made significant, immediate impacts on their respective position groups, but they certainly don’t need to be relied upon too much in their first couple months on campus.

“Well, I think (Lew) is going to be a good player, but I think it's an indictment of where we are, truthfully,” Freeze said. “I hope that we don't have to depend on freshmen too much longer to come in and provide significant help to us, but that's where we are.”

Auburn hopes its noteworthy transfer haul on the offensive line will be a reason for significant improvement in 2023. With Jones, Wade and Britton, the Tigers brought in three of the top 10 offensive linemen on the transfer market this year, per 247Sports’ transfer rankings. Top JUCO prospect Izavion Miller has also grabbed hold of the right tackle spot on the second team in spring practice and would likely swing to the left or right side in case of an injury to Wade or Britton.

“Did we close the gap far enough to be able to compete with the elite in this league?” Freeze said. “We won’t know that until the fall. But there’s no question in my mind that they improved us, and I’m pleased with how they’re going about their business.”

Auburn returns for practice No. 11 of spring ball Wednesday. The Tigers’ spring work will culminate next Saturday with the annual A-Day game (1 p.m. CST, SEC Network+).

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Win4AU said:

That's a likely scenario. Unless we bring in a transfer QB Geriner will probably be QB1 when the season starts. He's the most talented QB on the current roster.

• Like 4

With Jones, Lew, Wright, Johnson, and Stutts I think CHF feels pretty good about IOL. Can't afford injuries to OT however.

Keldric Faulk has Ron Roberts' attention: He has 'shown the ability to be a heck of a football player for us'

Untitled design-377

AUBURN – It has been rare to talk to a defensive coach at Auburn and not hear the name Keldric Faulk. 

For those who don’t know, Faulk, a former prized recruit from Highland Home (Ala.), flipped to Auburn on signing day after a long commitment with Florida State. 

Now, he’s turning heads at Auburn spring practice as an early enrollee freshman. Specifically, he has the attention of defensive line coach Jeremy Garrett, who was his main recruiter, and Tigers’ defensive coordinator Ron Roberts. 

“I think he’s grown quite a bit, I think we really started on practice six to really start seeing his ability go up,” Roberts said on Tuesday. “There’s so much hesitation, what do I do, what am I doing, how am I playing this, how am I playing that. Which is normal and kind of expected. He really is a guy who should be going to his high school prom right now. I think he’s done an outstanding job and shown the ability to be a heck of a football player for us.”

Roberts has gotten to see the quick growth of Faulk first-hand as he coaches the Jack linebackers at practice. He wants to temper expectations, but can’t ignore the talent at the same time.

“It’s been good, like I said, he’s going to be a tremendous football player,” Roberts said. “We don’t need to have the expectations too high and too much on him. He’s going to go through spring and make tremendous progress, he will probably make the biggest progress through summer and fall camp and hopefully, I’ll be looking at a guy who is ready to play SEC football.”

Garrett knew what he was getting when recruiting Faulk

Garrett, unprompted, wanted to talk about Faulk when asked about his defensive line picking up slack in the pass rush for a young Jack group. 

He noted that his guys will have to create pass rush, but said to watch out for one young Jack linebacker in particular. 

“A young Jack, I’m going to tell you–Keldric Faulk is going to be it,” Garrett said. “He’s going to be it. Really excited about the way he rushes and the way he’s progressed since he got here. He’s going to be good.”

According to Garrett, Faulk has yet to scratch the surface of what he’s capable of. 

It makes sense. 

Faulk told Auburn Live in December, while still committed to the Noles, that Garrett was truly investing in him.

“Man, he’s a real good guy,” Faulk said in December after the Alabama, Mississippi All-Star Game. “He’s been consistent with talking to me all throughout this week. I feel like he’s really trying to invest in me. He’s a real good coach, real good person.”

It sounds as though Garrett has kept his word. 

“He’s rare, and he’s so unassuming,” Garrett said. “Like, I don’t think he realizes how good he can actually be. He has come in and worked. He’s not listening to anybody tell him how good he is or anything like that. He’s coming in and studying, he’s working hard, he’s trying to learn. He is out there early walking through techniques. I just think the kid is going to be special and has a bright future as he keeps progressing.”

• Like 1

Philip Montgomery on why installing the 'RPO' game is slowing Auburn's offensive progression

philip-montgomery-auburn-football Philip Montgomery (Photo by Matt Rudolph/Auburn Live)

AUBURN — The Auburn offense will be heavily predicated on the “RPO” game. “RPO” of course meaning, “run-pass option.” Because of that fact, the development of the Tigers’ quarterbacks and wide receivers is coming along a little more slowly this spring than head coach Hugh Freeze and offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery anticipated.

“I think we’re making strides. We have a long way to go,” Montgomery said. “When you start implementing something that is complexly new and different than the norm that’s been around here, it takes time. We wanted to make sure we’re getting our foundations right to add and build to that when the time comes. I didn’t want to rush through the process of it. We don’t want to be the jack of all trades and the master of none. We’ve done a good job of pacing through some things, now scaling back and trying to be precise of how we added and what we added as we move forward.”

It makes sense. The Hugh Freeze-Philip Montgomery RPO offense will look very different from the Bryan Harsin-Mike Bobo-Eric Kiesau pro-style versions of offense Auburn deployed the last two seasons. For familiarity sake, the Tigers’ upcoming offense will look more like Tennessee at times, Ole Miss under Freeze at times, even elements of Gus Malzahn at Auburn at times.

And when asked, Philip Montgomery thought Freeze’s recent comments about the RPO game slowing down progress among Auburn’s offensive skill players were right on.

“That’s fair,” Montgomery said. “That’s one of the things we scaled back and trying to make sure as you start teaching this RPO-type game, you have to make sure we understand coverages, understand where things are happening, our eyes are in the right spot and how to adapt routes versus certain looks, and being able to take advantage of what you’re getting. For us, being able to pull the reigns back on that end of it and focusing in on making sure quarterback wise, we get in the right spot and focus on what’s going to make me do something or not do something, and then we’ll continue to generate and keep working off of that.”

Again, everything is new. For Montgomery, there’s many things his players have to be thinking about and processing through. It’s no easy task, just read how Montgomery explains it.

“There are different elements and variations of thing to concentrate on and work through,” Montgomery said. “Number one, putting our eyes on the right spot and on the right guy, and understanding what the defense is trying to do or take away from you, where they’re trying to add. The path you’re seeing for the back, our footwork if we’re starting to pull the football and start to throw it. All those things come into play with this. That’s all gotta happen that fast. Being able to correlate those things, getting back to base after we get into position and getting my feet back on platform, and getting into position to be accurate with the football, and release it in a timely manner. It’s not one of those things where you’re going to sit back and pat the football. You’re going to have to come up and be decisive with the football and know where you’re going with it.”

For quarterbacks, it’s a process of passing information back and forth in the most efficient way possible.

“It’s a huge part of what you do. It’s a give-and-take-type system, and a lot of that goes on our quarterback,” Montgomery said. “I don’t see that as pressure. Most guys who play this position want the ownership of that. Now, it’s making sure you give them enough reigns, but not so much that you’re in a tussle back and forth and we’re making good decisions with the football.”

And for the receivers, there’s plenty to learn as well.

“It’s a lot of teaching for those guys right now,” Montgomery said. “The way we set our spacing, the way we utilize that, it’s different for them to work those things throughout. Those guys are getting better and better. We still have growth to do in that room, but it’s not a lack of effort or want to.

“If you’re thinking a lot, you’re not playing fast, and we have to be able to play fast.”

The Tigers will practice every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for the most part leading into the April 8 spring game inside Jordan-Hare Stadium. Here’s the schedule of practices: February 27, March 1, 3, 13, 15, 17, 20, 22, 24, 27, 29, April 3, 5, 7 and 8. Auburn took the week of March 5-11 off for spring break.

Tate Johnson's return to practice 'a positive thing' for Auburn's 'athletic' offensive line

auburn-football Tate Johnson battles Marcus Harris during Auburn practice in 2022. (Photo by Auburn Athletics)

AUBURN — It appears to be a quick recovery for Auburn offensive lineman Tate Johnson.

Hugh Freeze said last week that it was unlikely that Johnson would return this spring, citing an elbow injury. But on Monday, Johnson was seen back with the first-team offensive line. 

Offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery confirmed Johnson’s return to the team on Tuesday, saying having Johnson back was a “bolt in the arm” for the Tigers’ offense.

“He’s a guy that works extremely hard and takes pride about his work and how he approaches things,” Montgomery said. “I know he’s still limited right now, but having him back in the mix is a positive thing right now.”

Tate Johnson suffered the same dislocated elbow injury last season, but it’s unclear if it’s the same arm as previously injured. Johnson started at center for Auburn during the first three football games of last season before being injured on the opening series of the Missouri game. He missed the remainder of the season. At the start of spring, Johnson moved from center to offensive guard, where he’s performed well.

As for the Tigers’ offensive line, Montgomery dished out some rave reviews three weeks into spring ball.

“Offensive line has been a real positive surprise throughout the spring,” he said. “The guys we’ve been able to add to that room have made an impact. I think we’re more athletic than what we’ve been. They’re moving well. 

“They understand what we’re doing up front. I love the way they are approaching practice every day. That’s been one of our strong suits throughout spring ball. We want to see them continue to raise the bar every day, continue to finish blocks and understanding what’s that going to generate later.”

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

“Offensive line has been a real positive surprise throughout the spring,” he said. “The guys we’ve been able to add to that room have made an impact. I think we’re more athletic than what we’ve been. They’re moving well. 

I really hope so. This offensive line has to be good or any problems with qbs or receivers etc will be exacerbated big time. If our oline can get better than the last few years , which shouldn’t be a stretch, we can win 8 games and go bowling in CHF’s first year. I would be ecstatic with that.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

There are some things about Spring practice that are giving me hope we could have a decent season this year (I said decent not great). 

1. Freeze is straight forward and honest in his evaluations. (Not getting BS coach talk).

2. When QB's and receivers were behind where he thought and needed them to be he said that

3. He has been generally positive about O-Line with caveat till playing against SEC top tier teams can't say for sure how good they are.

4. This week it appears that TJ still performing well but also now HG also seems to be getting the hang of it. (also seems HF is still looking at Portal for QB but won't just take a body).

5. Backs have looked good

6. Backend Defense (DB's) have looked good

7. D-Line has solid players with depth with a few standing out.

I am worried about LB like I am worried about QB and WR.  I also have to keep telling myself it is a new D and a new O there is a learning curve. Hearing that HG has improved with more reps in a new system gives me hopes that his improvement is indicative that as he and other players get more reps now during the summer and during fall camp they will all improve.

I am not wearing orange and Blue glasses where I expect us to compete for SEC west title ( I hope for it but don't expect it) I am looking for 7-8 wins a very good recruiting class and beginning to see Auburn becoming the team I always hope for.

• Like 3

Auburn LB Cam Riley on Powell Gordon: 'He would make every play' on the edge

Untitled design-378

AUBURN – Several linebackers have earned the trust of new linebacker coach Josh Aldridge and defensive coordinator Ron Roberts during the spring. Powell Gordon, a redshirt freshman linebacker, is starting to earn praise in some unique ways.

On Tuesday, Roberts mentioned Gordon as someone who was probably behind some of the veteran guys. He did however leave the door open for a possible position change for Gordon.

“Powell, same thing, he’s athletic, probably looks his best when he’s on the edge I think he’s more comfortable because it’s where he was at in high school,” Roberts said. “He’s a young guy, probably behind a veteran group of linebackers. That room is a little older.”

Will Gordon eventually move to Jack linebacker and play on the edge, or at least work at both Jack and inside linebacker?

“We did have a discussion, yes,” Roberts said.

Riley on Gordon

It seems as though that discussion spilled over to current linebackers on the team, and possibly even to Gordon himself.

Cam Riley, a junior linebacker, said he spoke with Roberts about that possibility for Gordon. It’s an idea Riley loves.

“He (Roberts) just told me yesterday,” Riley said on Wednesday. “I would like to actually see him down there though. I feel like he would do a pretty good job at edge. I feel like if he could get a little more weight on him, he would possibly be a great edge for us.

Riley described Gordon making a play in Friday’s scrimmage that he had never seen before. It seems as though Gordon surprised him with some athleticism he had not seen until Gordon was on a blitz in a live situation. 

“Powell, he’s grown tremendously, too,” Riley said about Gordon. “I actually saw a play during the scrimmage last week. I can’t describe it, it was some move he did I had never seen before. Once I saw that, I’ve been trying to tell coach, we need Powell on the edge. He would make every play. After the play I saw him make, I was like yeah, we need him down there.”

Gordon’s history as an edge player

Gordon impressed as an edge rusher on the high school level. He disrupted plays on a consistent basis when pinning his ears back and getting after the quarterback. He contributed 14 sacks to a State Championship run for Auburn High School as a junior. He had similar numbers as a senior as well. 

Auburn Live scouted him in person when Auburn High took on national high school power IMG Academy. On the opening play of the game, Gordon got the better of now Alabama offensive guard Tyler Booker, stripped the ball from the quarterback, and gave his team the ball in the red zone.

On the very next play, Gordon lined up at tight end on offense, ran a corner route and made a touchdown grab while falling down. 

Now, there are talks to get Gordon back down on the edge where he has made so many plays in his previous football career. 

Here’s what we wrote about Gordon when he committed to Auburn on August 7, 2021.

Gordon is a menace as an edge rusher. Playing mostly on the edge he was able to tally 88 total tackles, 14 sacks, and 32 tackles for loss. When he’s not filling up the stat sheet, he is usually causing problems for opposing quarterbacks. He shows excellent bend and good, quick hips when taking on blocks. 

• Thanks 2

Some positive news from the linebacker room.

Second-year Auburn linebacker ‘a whole new guy’ this spring

By NATHAN KING16 hrs

Share2 Comments

AUBURN, Alabama — For one of the best-rated recruits on Auburn’s roster, the combination of a healthy offseason and a reset button in the coaching staff is hoped to be a formula for success in 2023.

As the Tigers’ linebackers continue to earn high marks from the coaches for their consistent play during spring practices, redshirt freshman Robert Woodyard appears to be making strides with the goal of working his way into a role on the defense this year.

"He looks like a whole new guy from a couple months ago during the season at practice,” senior linebacker Cam Riley said Wednesday. 

The top-rated recruit in Auburn's 2022 class, Woodyard got his feet wet on special teams as a true freshman but still maintained a redshirt. It’s also worth noting the former Alabama commit spent a good portion of his first offseason with the program recovering from the season-ending knee injury he suffered as a senior at Williamson High School in Mobile — but he was still able to earn scout team player of the year honors by last year’s coaching staff.

Now healthy this spring, Woodyard has been a fixture in the main linebacker rotation this spring, along with Austin Keys, Wesley Steinerand Riley. Defensive coordinator Ron Robertssaid his linebacking corps probably has five players at the moment that appear ready for significant playing time, and Woodyard is among those. 

“(Woodyard) is a physical guy, he's always around the ball,” Riley said. “He has a knack for the ball, like he wants to make every play. He takes the time to actually learn the defense. He's a new guy, man. I can't believe it."

A signing-day flip from Alabama, Woodyard is a former top-150 overall prospect, rated as the No. 13 linebacker recruit in the country last year. 

He appeared in only four games in 2022, mostly on kickoff coverage, while preserving a redshirt and nursing his knee injury. Woodyard played one series at linebacker, though, in the home loss to Arkansas.

“He's definitely made a lot more growth than I had, than I did my freshman year, as far as trying to understand and learn the playbook and how to understand the concepts that we're doing,” Steiner said last season. “I think he's grasped it well for the most part.”

Auburn addressed its depth needs in the linebacking corps via the transfer portal, adding Keys, a starter at Ole Miss last season, and LSU youngster Demario Tolan. 

But a healthy Woodyard certainly has the talent and size — at 6-foot-1 and 240 pounds — to develop into a contributor at middle linebacker. After all, the group is under new management with position coach Josh Aldridge, and it doesn’t necessarily have much star power returning from last season, after four-year starter Owen Pappoe departed for the NFL draft.

“He can strike, he can make tackles, he's athletic,” Roberts said this week of Woodyard. “For him, it's just being young, and you want to be able to see him be more vocal on the field with communication and getting everybody in the right spots, being able to help people out on the field. That's some of the things we kind of expect from that position, so we kinda need him to take those growth steps forward.”

Auburn returned to practice Wednesday and will scrimmage for the third time this spring Friday evening.

• Like 2

Auburn running back room 'connected' and 'feeding off each other' during spring camp

damari-alston-auburn-football Damari Alston (Photo by Matt Rudolph/Auburn Live)

AUBURN — Despite the loss of Tank Bigsbyto the NFL, the Auburn running back room is in good shape according to offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery.

“I really like our running back room. I think we have guys in there that all feeding off each other. There’s a good battle going on in there. They all understand, it’s probably going to be some version of a rotation in the backfield,” Montgomery said.

Jarquez Hunter will be the workhorse, that much is clear. He’s rushed for 1,261 yards and 10 touchdowns during his first two seasons, averaging over 6.4 yards per carry in both seasons. Damari Alston and transfer Brian Battie will spell Hunter. Alston played sparingly last season, but showed flashes as a freshman, rushing 14 times for 85 yards, good for better than six yards per carry. Battie played three seasons at South Florida, racking up 1,842 yards and 10 touchdowns, before transferring to Auburn in the offseason.

“We know what Jarquez is going to bring and how tough he is and the physicality he brings — but all those guys are bringing those same things to the table,” Montgomery said. “I’ve been really impressed with that room. They have a chance to have a special season. They’re going to be a vital, vital part of what we do.”

Alston spoke with the media and seemed to echo the sentiments of Montgomery.

“Everybody has seen Jarquez play,” Alston said. “He brings that power, that force to the table, that speed. I feel like I bring that as well, that speed, and I can get pretty elusive in and out of my cuts. Brian, he brings the speed and the cuts as well. Not to mention we can all catch out of the backfield as well.”

Alston stands 5-foot-9 and 206 pounds after focusing on getting bigger and stronger in the offseason. “I’m playing some big-boy ball in the SEC, and I’m getting ready for that,” he said.

Montgomery admits Alston has been somewhat of a pleasant surprise this spring.

“He’s got really good vision. He’s learning to be more patient within his running style, and when he hits it, he has a really good gear,” Montgomery said. “I thought from the start of spring camp, he’s a guy that’s probably surprised me more out of the backfield out of the running back room. From day one, he’s got a good feel — but the speed he brings, he’s got gears in there.”

brian-battie-auburn-football-1024x538.pn Brian Battie (Photo by Matt Rudolph/Auburn Live)

Then there’s Battie, who while small at 5-foot-7 and 170 pounds, brings some unique skills to the field. “Speed and quickness” seem to be Battie’s hallmark, Alston said. And Montgomery can speak from experience, as Battie rushed for 169 yards against Montgomery-led Tulsa last season.

“The thing about Brian, and he’s got really good speed, but the thing you notice when you’re around him and play against him, is he is very difficult to tackle,” Montgomery said. “He does a great job of setting up blocks and being patient, he can start and stop and create spacing for himself. He hides behind things and then all of a sudden, he pops up and good things are happening. 

“I’m really impressed with what he’s been able to do so far. He’s got that shake to him. He can get you off balance. If you go watch his tapes, he doesn’t take many hard hits. He understand how to maneuver himself and finish forward. He’s electric with the ball in his hands.”

While there are question marks around different position groups on Auburn’s team, the running back room seems to be a room that’s quickly developing into one of the most reliable.

“I feel like us as a whole, we’re so connected,” Alston said. “Ever since, we’ve been going, helping each other out on and off the field. The running back room is at its best right now and will keep getting better.”

• Like 5

Top-heavy Auburn secondary focused on building depth

jaylin-simpson-auburn-football Jaylin Simpson (Photo by Matt Rudolph/Auburn Live)

AUBURN — Hugh Freeze hopes to build more depth in the secondary, but all in all, Auburn’s new head coach likes how his defensive backfield is shaping up.

“I wish we had all those signees here. I feel good about our first group there, but we need to create depth,” Freeze said. “A 12-game season in this league is tough. You have to have some serious depth. We’re still lacking at every position for that adequate depth.”

New defensive coordinator Ron Robertsechoes Freeze’s thoughts.

“Honestly we don’t have a whole lot of depth in the secondary,” Roberts said. “We need to get that to nine in the back end. At defensive back, we’re not a solid two-deep yet. Some of it is because of injuries — so there’s some youth in the back with the safeties, so we have to make some progress there.”

JOIN AUBURN LIVE FOR $5/MONTH RIGHT NOW AND RECEIVE ACCESS THROUGH AUGUST 31

Nehemiah Pritchett, DJ James, Keionte Scott, Jaylin Simpson, Zion Puckett and Donovan Kaufman are the primary returners, with Marquise Gilbert, Caleb Wooden and Cayden Bridges also returning after a year in the program. Sophomore J.D. Rhym returns after limited action as a true freshman, and early enrollee Kayin Lee is turning heads, but lacks the experience. 

Pritchett and James are the primary corners, with Rhym and Lee in development. Scott and Kaufman are battling at nickel, with Puckett, Simpson, Gilbert, Wooden and Bridges at safety.

This summer, Auburn will welcome in signees Sylvester Smith, Tyler Scott, Terrance Love and Colton Hood. Smith and Love will start at safety, while Scott and Hood will start at cornerback.

“That incoming freshman class are going to be counted on to be those guys, they have to get in here and get ready to go quickly,” Roberts said. 

Pritchett, James, Scott and Simpson are known commodities. Their presence appears invaluable during spring camp.

“It huge because it helps J.D. and Kayin, they have veteran guys that understand the foundation,” defensive backs coach Zac Etheridge said of those four returners.

Freeze recently said of freshman Lee, “he will be a heck of a player, he’s going to play as a freshman.” And Etheridge recently said of Rhym, “he has grit. He’s a tough kid that doesn’t shy away. He’s aggressive and really smart.”

But until that depth arrives, Roberts seems to be encouraged by what he’s seen.

“I think there’s some things they have been able to take concept-wise in coverage and be able to have a correlation. They’re all athletic, they will strike you, they can tackle in space, so that is pretty huge to see,” Roberts said. “Really the objective coming out of spring is how many guys can we get in the ‘can-do’ category. Because we’re going to need them all.”

Auburn will take part in the annual spring A-Day game on April 8 at 1 p.m. CT.h

• Thanks 1

know why this team is different? know why this team will be meaner? i have yet to see one player on the team this year sporting a man bun. you heard it here first. check me out later for more insights.............

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

know why this team is different? know why this team will be meaner? i have yet to see one player on the team this year sporting a man bun. you heard it here first. check me out later for more insights.............

Some of these girls finna drag you...

• Haha 1

What Hugh Freeze said with Auburn A-Day on the horizon

Justin Hokansonabout 1 hour
auburn-head-coach-hugh-freeze-reveals-positions-furtherst-away-spring-practice Hugh Freeze (Photo by Auburn Athletics)

AUBURN — It’s Week Five of Auburn football spring camp. Hugh Freeze met the media on Monday afternoon to chat about the progress on a number of fronts, as the Tigers will practice three times this week before Saturday’s spring A-Day game inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Here’s the high points from Freeze’s meeting with the media as practice No. 12 gets underway:

— Robby Ashford had soreness in his shoulder, but Freeze said last Wednesday he was “fairly close” to full speed. “He’s going today, so I think he’s OK.”

— Holden Geriner had a “solid” week of practice last week. He mentions Ashford and T.J. Finley also having good moments. It remains a competition.

— Ashford’s pocket presence, T.J.’s playing within the system, and Holden’s accuracy (specifically downfield) are all areas Freeze mentions as elements that each QB has improved upon.

— “Being the QB at a SEC school and a school like Auburn carries a lot of weight.” The competition goes into the summer, into the fall, saying it all matters.

— On the spring game format: “As it stands, we’re healthy enough to do that format. Spring games when it’s us against us, I don’t want to waste a day. The temptation and challenge is it can be a wasted day, not a wasted day for the fans or recruiting, but for the practice itself. That’s a difficult setting for us to do what we want to do.” Freeze talked about it being televised, etc.

— “I want to prepare the Auburn family that we’re going to do the best we can. We’re going to give them a game that I hope they can enjoy, but understand, we don’t know who we are offensively right now.”

— The defense will start with a set amount of points and the offense will try and top that to win the game.

— Freeze really wants to be able to scrimmage another school for A-Day, adding adopting a charity for proceeds to go to.

— Freeze adds: “Don’t expect too much. Unrealistic expectations lead to frustration.” He’s making it a point to simply set expectations for fans before Saturday’s A-Day. “I don’t want to show too much of what we think we’re going to be really good at.”

— Hugh Freeze has been pleased with tackling during tackling periods. “We’ve tackled fairly well in the scrimmages.”

— Offensively, we feel good about “two or three” run schemes that have been “successful.” They are still searching for consistency for the “bread and butter” in the passing game. Defensively, “how much more are we going to add to have enough in the arsenal to have a great game plan?”

— On the offense: “Truthfully, Wednesday was the exact opposite of the last Friday (scrimmage) and it was complete domination by the offense.”

— On the linebackers: “There have been some inconsistencies.” He mentions the linebackers having the most on their plate of any position group on defense.

— Hugh Freeze says the tight end room “has the most” on their plate of any position group on the team.

— Freeze says Jarquez Hunter “is the best running back I’ve ever coached.” He “keeps his mouth shut and goes to work.”

— Anyone improved from practice one to 12: “Mosiah Nasili-Kite.” He said the Maryland DL transfer has really disrupted lately and played well.

— “I thought we improved at receiver” last week. He mentions Rivaldo Fairweather being the “most consistent” catching the football, especially in tight quarters. He mentions Jay Fair and Ja’Varrius Johnson also standing out, then goes on to mention Nick Mardner, Camden Brown, Tar’Varish Dawson all making plays at time. “It’s way too early.”

• Like 2

Okay, os if the offense looks awful it's solely bc we ran schemes Hugh knew we suck at.

58 minutes ago, toddc said:

Biggest surprise to me is hearing Demario Tolan is not one of the top 5 inside LBs.  That either means our LBs are better than we thought due to poor coaching last year or Tolan is not catching on.  Brian Kelly raved about him last year at LSU and was a projected starter next to Harold Perkins in 2023 before he portalled to Auburn.  Hope he comes on over the Summer and Fall camp to give us a 3 deep LB room.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Appreciate it @toddc

These articles are much better than the ones 50 post! 

😁

Sorry if I’m double posting.