HS quarterbacks

gr82b4au

I know that we talk about offensive line and the lack of HS recruiting for many years. To me, the biggest travesty has been the lack of quality HS quarterback recruiting.

Other than Bo Nix, who was an AU legacy and was going to go to Auburn no matter what, our high school quarterback recruiting has been abysmal for more than a decade. We always ended up with fringe kids that were not highly recruited by the big boys. I could go through the list but you guys have already seen the terrible job that Gus did bringing in high school quarterbacks. 

The point is that we will never be a big program unless we can attract elite HS quarterbacks. Everything in the sport revolves around the quarterback. There are teams out there signing four and five star HS quarterbacks every year, year after year. 
Yes, I realize that all of our best teams in the past 15 years had quarterbacks that transferred to AU from junior college or another college. That trend Has to change.
We must sign an elite 4/5 star HS quarterback in this class. And then sign another one in the next class. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My son and I were talking about the exact same thing two days ago.  IMO, the last ~ decade of AU football has been the worst QB recruiting and play we've collectively had.  From poor evaluations to poor development we've set ourselves up for failure.  We have to better in this area.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

My son and I were talking about the exact same thing two days ago.  IMO, the last ~ decade of AU football has been the worst QB recruiting and play we've collectively had.  From poor evaluations to poor development we've set ourselves up for failure.  We have to better in this area.

Wow he's still speaks to you??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Wow he's still speaks to you??

In a bird house, talk is cheep.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I know that we talk about offensive line and the lack of HS recruiting for many years. To me, the biggest travesty has been the lack of quality HS quarterback recruiting.

Other than Bo Nix, who was an AU legacy and was going to go to Auburn no matter what, our high school quarterback recruiting has been abysmal for more than a decade. We always ended up with fringe kids that were not highly recruited by the big boys. I could go through the list but you guys have already seen the terrible job that Gus did bringing in high school quarterbacks. 

The point is that we will never be a big program unless we can attract elite HS quarterbacks. Everything in the sport revolves around the quarterback. There are teams out there signing four and five star HS quarterbacks every year, year after year. 
Yes, I realize that all of our best teams in the past 15 years had quarterbacks that transferred to AU from junior college or another college. That trend Has to change.
We must sign an elite 4/5 star HS quarterback in this class. And then sign another one in the next class. 

I think Freeze will remedy this. Good times ahead.

If you are bored take a review of the top QB’s from 2019-2022, based on 24/7. Cj Stroud, Bryce Young and Caleb Williams stand out the most. Several have transferred via portal, including 3 from 2019 to include Nix, Jayden Daniels, and Rattler. A few have not played significant time like Vandergriff and Howard. IMO evaluation and development are key. Two areas I think Freeze is really solid at. So hopefully it gets better sooner than later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PoetTiger said:

IMO evaluation and development are key.

THIS!

We have mostly signed fringe high school QBs in the past 8-10 years, but we also failed to properly evaluate and develop 4* Kodi Burns, 5* Kiehl Frazier, and 4* Jeremy Johnson in the past 15 years.  We've been a graveyard for high school QBs since Brandon Cox graduated.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TigerVII said:

We've been a graveyard for high school QBs since Brandon Cox graduated

Amen, you can say that again. Barring the couple of generationally-talented athletes we lucked out on, you're exactly right. 

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Websters defines abysmal as, "immeasurably low or wretched."  So yeah ... perfect description.  I'll say this about building a perennial winning team -- it's much like constructing a house.  You have to start with the foundation first, then the walls before the roof.  Without a good foundation, the whole structure will be shaky.  The OL is much like the foundation.  A good OL can make any QB look great (hi there, AJ McCarron & Stetson Bennet!)  So glad that Freeze is addressing the wretched state of past recruiting efforts.  Great QBs generally aren't stupid and can recognize a good OL.  Remember when Russel Wilson was looking to transfer from NC State and chose Wisconsin over AU?  It wasn't because he preferred cheese & cold weather.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

so you and little bird had a talk

image.png

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Websters defines abysmal as, "immeasurably low or wretched."  So yeah ... perfect description.  I'll say this about building a perennial winning team -- it's much like constructing a house.  You have to start with the foundation first, then the walls before the roof.  Without a good foundation, the whole structure will be shaky.  The OL is much like the foundation.  A good OL can make any QB look great (hi there, AJ McCarron & Stetson Bennet!)  So glad that Freeze is addressing the wretched state of past recruiting efforts.  Great QBs generally aren't stupid and can recognize a good OL.  Remember when Russel Wilson was looking to transfer from NC State and chose Wisconsin over AU?  It wasn't because he preferred cheese & cold weather.  

God, the TP would’ve done wonders for us in 2011-12.

Edited by AUwent

I’m not necessarily sure talent was the problem…Gus brought in a few really talented QBs but he seemed to always break them and definitely could not develop their talents.   Guys like Woody Barrett, Kiehl Frazier,  and Sean White were no slouches in HS and also held some big time offers.  

All Gus’s successful QBs were transfers. Bo was by far the most talented HS QB Gus brought in but even he never reached his full potential here at AU under Gus or Harsin…partly the Oline can be blamed for that but still, a result of Gus.  I always felt like if Bo didn’t have Patrick probably coaching him some as well Gus would have completely broke him too….its like Bo had just enough natural talent to overcome Gus’s coaching. 

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Address the LOS and they will come.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

image.gif

Well, that was fast. Maybe I should have complained about this years ago. 

Start a OL, Edge, LB, thread

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2