Difference in Gender and Sex

TexasTiger

The obvious loophole with the trans issue is sports. It’s become a fixation for the right and has been an issue since Renee richards decades ago in tennis. Personally I don’t find trying precisely define what a man and woman is incredibly useful.  Circular debates everywhere.  But testosterone and someone who went through puberty with it does require common sense in athletics.  You can try to manage defining genders in sports but at a more personal level - Imo I hold many trans individuals accountable for registering  in competitive women’s sports to begin with - it’s unfair and they know it. Sucks for them but it is what it is.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

The obvious loophole with the trans issue is sports. It’s become a fixation for the right and has been an issue since Renee richards decades ago in tennis. Personally I don’t find trying precisely define what a man and woman is incredibly useful.  Circular debates everywhere.  But testosterone and someone who went through puberty with it does require common sense in athletics.  You can try to manage defining genders in sports but at a more personal level - Imo I hold many trans individuals accountable for registering  in competitive women’s sports to begin with - it’s unfair and they know it. Sucks for them but it is what it is.

Way to straddle the fence.  Renee Richards was an amateur tennis player before the transition.  She proved not to be as controversial as you remember.  Having a 6’ 4” former male swimmer compete against women is a different story.  Lea Thomas was something like 174th ranked male swimmer that set records in women swimming.

Both Serena and Venus Williams were beaten by the 203rd ranked male tennis player when he was in his 50’s.

If women sports are to be protected precisely defining what a man and a woman are is needed.

If a person goes through puberty as a man they will have an advantage.  If the governing bodies come to the conclusion that if a man does not go through puberty as a man, by the use of puberty blockers, how do you think some parents of athletes will react? 

Some say let the trans have their own category.  That will be next to impossible unless there are a lot more trans in the world.

*Sucks for them* is not how the courts are going to look at this.

To be clear, a man should not compete in women sports at any level just by declaring himself a woman.

17 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

To be clear, a man should not compete in women sports at any level just by declaring himself a woman.

And water is wet. Again, obviously it isn’t fair (and in some sports, dangerous) and hopefully most will accept the situation and choose to let competitive sports go. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The poster has a point regarding many of these social media “gotcha” moments. They’re not generally efforts to truly facilitate understanding and respect and mostly just breed resistance & resentment.

• Like 1