Baseball vs. Georgia Tech

Wonder how long Butch is gonna ride it out with Nate. I know his defense is great but the offense is beyond brutal rn. Plus him being a captain and being the 2nd highest recruit Butch brought to campus before Irish and Stanfield came along.

Good to see our offense bounce back and great outings from isbell and Horne.

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Like 1

Just now, AUBwins said:

How did we win it? HR?

Base hit to right with Kirby on 2nd after stolen base. Pinch hitter and try to get name correct. Only 10 at bats this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, warbiscuit said:

Wonder how long Butch is gonna ride it out with Nate. I know his defense is great but the offense is beyond brutal rn. Plus him being a captain and being the 2nd highest recruit Butch brought to campus before Irish and Stanfield came along.

Called the Mendoza affect. Don’t want to down any kid and Butch is the coach. 

When a position player's batting average falls below . 200, the player is said to be "below the Mendoza Line".

“It derives from light-hitting shortstop Mario Mendoza, who failed to reach . 200 five times in his nine big league seasons. “

Edited by SaltyTiger

20 minutes ago, warbiscuit said:

Why do so many Auburn sports struggle with offense? What’s our deal? Is bad offense like an Auburn sports curse?

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Baseball vs. Georgia Tech
9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

How did we win it? HR?

Single, then stolen base put the man on 2nd. Pinch hitter with two out comes through with a long single into right field that scores the winning run. Key to the run was the steal. If you like baseball, you had to like this game. Or maybe it's just me?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AUINSY said:

Why do so many Auburn sports struggle with offense? What’s our deal? Is bad offense like an Auburn sports curse?

Offensively we have been a good baseball team this season. Struggles of late could be aided by the absence of some key players, injury and virus.

10 hours ago, AUINSY said:

I don't think 21 hits and 12 runs points to bad offense, even in 12 innings. The remark was about a particular player's hitting ability (offense) being brutal, not the whole team's offense.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I don't think 21 hits and 12 runs points to bad offense, even in 12 innings. The remark was about a particular player's hitting ability (offense) being brutal, not the whole team's offense.

Thanks @Mikey for the clarification. I suppose that's the result of my drive-by approach to observing Auburn baseball. I'm relieved to know baseball isn't suffering from the offensive flu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

As of yesterday team BA at .318, not the best in the SEC while not shabby at all. Top 15 individual SEC hitting leaders include 4 AU types. 

• Like 2

I watched to the end. Glad to see us go for the stolen base leading to the winning run. I was surprised a couple of innings earlier we got the first two runners on and didn't try to bunt them over. End result.....no runs. It was amazing to see both teams get 11 runs and then had trouble getting one for several innings. In any event it's always great to beat the crotch crickets in anything.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/14/2023 at 11:40 PM, warbiscuit said:

I get the sense Butch won't make a change...pretty much no matter what.   I love his mental make up and leadership, but it sucks that a starting SEC catcher can't do any more than call his own pitches and blosk at an acceptable level.  Htting and being able to throw out an occasional stolen base attempt just aren't in the cards for us right now.

We really need Foster, Peirce, and Stanfield back in the lineup to match up against SEC competition.

• Like 1