3/20/23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Dillon Wade ranked among top underrated SEC transfers

daniellocke

~2 minutes

Offensive lineman Dillon Wade announced his decision to transfer from Tulsa to Auburn on early signing day. Hugh Freeze hiring Phillip Montgomery, the former head coach of the Golden Hurricane, played a role in landing the four-star offensive tackle.

An article from Mike Farrell Sports titled “Top 5 Under-the-Radar Transfer Portal Additions in the SEC” was written by Mark Pszonak and included Wade on the list. The other names were defensive back Duce Chestnut who transferred from Syracuse to LSU, tight end McCallan Castles who transferred from Cal-Davis to Tennessee, wide receiver Tre Harris who transferred from Louisiana Tech to Ole Miss and offensive lineman Marques Cox who transferred from Northern Illinois to Kentucky.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Upon his arrival, new head coach Hugh Freeze knew that he had to revamp the offensive line. He has done so by adding several interesting pieces through the portal, including Wade, who looks likely to start at tackle this fall. Fellow transfer Gunner Britton (Western Kentucky) may very well start at the other tackle spot, but the current thought is that Wade is the one who will make a more powerful immediate impact.

Wade is the No. 26 ranked player in this year’s transfer class and the No. 4 ranked offensive lineman according to 247Sports. Avery Jones, an offensive lineman transferring from East Carolina to Auburn, is also among the top transfers, ranking No. 12 according to 247Sports.

Improving the offensive line has been perhaps the biggest recruiting focus for the Tigers and Wade will help check that box in 2023.

• Thanks 1

flywareagle.com

Auburn football spring practice ‘has provided hope for the future’

Andrew Hughes
2–3 minutes

According to CBS Sports' Barrett Sallee, Hugh Freeze's spring practices have 'provided hope for the future' of Auburn football Mandatory Credit: The Montgomery Advertiser

According to CBS Sports' Barrett Sallee, Hugh Freeze's spring practices have 'provided hope for the future' of Auburn football Mandatory Credit: The Montgomery Advertiser

Hugh Freeze’s first Auburn football spring practices were highly regarded by CBS Sports’ Barrett Sallee, who exalted the incoming coach’s short tenure at the expense of the slightly less short-lived tenure of his predecessor, Bryan Harsin.

“More than anything, this spring has provided — and will continue to provide — hope for the future,” Sallee prefaced before saying, “Auburn became stale under Harsin, but interim coach Carnell Williams generated hope when he took over during the final month of the season. With Freeze leading the way and Williams on staff, the future of Auburn football just needs a glimmer of hope. That seems to be shining bright so far.”

Thus far, Freeze has changed the rules of A-Day to prioritize progress over exhibition results, improve the team’s discipline, and most importantly, find leaders on the offensive line who can elevate the unit’s play following years of underperformance.

Analyst on Auburn football A-Day: ‘Don’t focus too much on results’

During the 2022 A-Day spring game, Holden Geriner led Team Auburn to drive resulting in a touchdown and then almost won the game on a two-point conversion. Geriner looked like a future star.

He still could be, but Geriner ended up throwing three passes throughout his entire redshirt 2022 season — showing that the results of the A-Day spring game are ultimately secondary to players understanding where they need to be on both sides of the ball.

Sallee echoed the sentiment that the more important thing for Auburn football fans to look out for than the results is what Freeze is asking of his offense.

“Auburn has kept things under wraps for the majority of spring practice, so it’s difficult to gauge how things are really going,” Sallee said. “When Freeze opens the doors for its spring game next month, however, don’t focus too much on results — especially on offense. Take a peek at what Freeze specifically asks of his offense, because that will give you an idea of what he feels could be the identity of this year’s team.”

al.com

Everything Hugh Freeze said about Auburn’s QBs, 1st spring scrimmage

Updated: Mar. 20, 2023, 3:55 p.m.|Published: Mar. 20, 2023, 3:24 p.m.

5–6 minutes

AUBURN, AL - March 17, 2023 - Auburn Head Coach Hugh Freeze speaks to the Lettermen Club during spring practice inside the Creel Family Player Development Lab at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL. Photo by Austin PerrymanAuburn University Athletics

Spring practice is in full swing on the Plains.

After returning from spring break a week ago, Auburn got back to it with three practices, including the team’s first scrimmage of the Hugh Freeze era on Friday. With a little less than three weeks to go until A-Day on April 8, Freeze met with the media at 3:30 p.m. for his weekly press conference.

Read more Auburn football: Keionte Scott putting “dynamic” playmaking on display so far this spring

Auburn confident Jeremiah Wright can be one of SEC’s “dominant” offensive linemen

Wesley McGriff identifies three main goals for Auburn’s defensive backs this spring

Below is a blow-for-blow recap of everything Freeze had to say about Auburn’s spring practices to date:

HUGH FREEZE

-- On the QBs: “They’re very coachable. It’s very new, what we’re asking them to do, and truthfully I wish we were further along after watching Friday’s tape. It’s certainly not from a want-to or a lack of can-do.” Says they need to coach it better so guys get a better understanding of what they’re trying to do. That’s the hope for this week.

-- Says they’re “going to get after it a good bit” this Friday and the following Wednesday in terms of live action for the scrimmages. “This Friday will be a good test for us.” They’ll have SEC officials there for Friday’s scrimmage. Says the first scrimmage last Friday was more of a typical practice than a full-on scrimmage.

-- Camden Brown had a back-shoulder touchdown in the first scrimmage. Freeze says the two positions that “have a long way to go” are the QB room and the wide receiver room. “I’m not saying we’ve arrived at other spots yet, but those are the farthest off.”

-- On evaluating the QBs especially as it pertains to Robby Ashford’s running ability, he recalls when he landed Malik Willis at Liberty, and how Willis didn’t have a lot of significant reps to that point. “Truthfully, going into that fall camp with Malik, I had no clue if he was going to be a complete player, because you just don’t evaluate that portion of the game (going live), because the whistle’s being blown.”

-- More on Ashford: “I think it’s very hard to evaluate just how good he can be practicing the way we do.”

-- On the Jack position: “We need to recruit more. We’re not where we need to be in rushing the passer.... We’ve got to get better at that spot, for sure.... We’re just deficient in true pass-rushers.”

-- On the QBs again, he says he likes the attitude and work ethic, as well as their desires to be coached, but he doesn’t like the inconsistencies.

-- On Keldric Faulk’s progression: “I think he’s going to be a phenomenal player, and I think he’s going to have to play early.”

-- Health-wise, the list of guys dealing with minor injuries -- hamstrings, sprained ankles -- is longer than he’d like. Tate Johnson dislocated his elbow and will be out the rest of spring.

-- Freeze says he has seen enough to know Jarquez Hunter is “really good.” Adds he is really pleased with what he has seen from the junior, calls him “a difference maker.”

-- On Tate Johnson being out: “We’re rotating folks around a lot. The thing we really would like to do is get three groups reps.”

-- Malcolm Johnson Jr. is dealing with a collarbone injury and is expected back in June. So he’s also out for the rest of spring.

-- Kentucky transfer defensive tackle Justin Rogers “is a handful” in the middle of the line that will require double-teams. Freeze hopes he stays healthy and can be a factor.

-- On melding his offense with Philip Montgomery’s: “It’s a process.” Says it’s going well, but he reiterates that he wishes they were further along with the QBs and their inconsistencies with the RPO game.

-- Leaders this spring? Tate Johnson, Jayson Jones, Elijah McAllister, all the tight ends (”as players and culture guys”). Those are the ones who have stood out most to Freeze. They’ll develop the “culture council” after spring ball and take into consideration input from the team when putting that together.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Thanks 1

Auburn football transfer ‘the most interesting offensive player on the roster’

Andrew Hughes
~3 minutes

CBS Sports' Barrett Sallee says an incoming transfer is 'the most interesting offensive player on the roster' for Auburn football Mandatory Credit: Gator Sports

CBS Sports' Barrett Sallee says an incoming transfer is 'the most interesting offensive player on the roster' for Auburn football Mandatory Credit: Gator Sports

The Auburn football roster will see a good number of transfers at every offensive position beside the quarterback position — and even the QB room could see a transfer portal addition following the spring. Hugh Freeze and his staff have done a masterful job picking up the recruiting slack from the last regime for the first season of the Freeze era, adding several impact players from the G5 level.

One of those recruits, USF transfer Brian Battie, was called by CBS Sports’ Barrett Sallee the “most interesting offensive player on the roster” during a recent deep-dive into Freeze’s goals — including making Auburn football relevant again and upending Alabama — during the 2023 season.

“Tank Bigsby is gone and Jarquez Hunter will likely ascend to the top spot on the depth chart, but Battie might be the most interesting offensive player on the roster in 2023,” Sallee wrote. “He rushed for 1,186 yards and eight touchdowns last year for USF and added 659 yards on kickoff returns. If Hunter is Batman, expect Battie to serve the Robin role. He can become Auburn’s version of a Swiss Army Knife.”

What Hugh Freeze needs to do to get most out of Robby Ashford in Auburn football offense

Sallee broke down what Freeze needs to do in order to get the most out of incumbent starter Robby Ashford — and it merely includes figuring out what more traditional QB skills the Hoover native has in his game that Freeze could use to complement his elite scrambling abilities.

“It’s not like Ashford has to be Tom Brady out there,” Sallee prefaced before saying, “All Freeze needs to do is find a few things that Ashford does well as a passer, and that’ll go a long way toward complementing his running prowess; his 709 yards and seven touchdowns last year were good for second on the team.”

Ashford is the presumed favorite for the starting job given his improvements as the 2022 season went on, but TJ Finley and Holden Geriner’s more traditional passing profiles could also entice Freeze and offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery. However, Ashford’s abilities do make him an intriguing fit for Montgomery’s RPO-heavy offensive schemes.

• Thanks 1

Battie, offensive linemen headline Mike Farrell's SEC All-Transfer team

Taylor Jones
3–4 minutes

As a college coach, you ability to sell is judged equally to your ability to win.

Hugh Freeze has checked the first box in his short time on the Plains, as he turned in the almost impossible feat of flipping a top-60 class to a top-20 class in the span of three weeks. He also worked hard in the transfer portal by bringing in 12 seasoned players who have a chance to start on the 2023 team.

Buy Tigers Tickets

The class, which ranks No. 4 according to 247Sports, has impressed the writers at MikeFarrell.com by being called the “best class in the SEC”, and two transfers have made several transfer portal-related lists since the window closed on Jan. 15.

In the site’s most recent list regarding the transfer portal, four newcomers have been named to the SEC All-Transfer team. Representatives of Auburn include an important skill player and three offensive linemen.

Here’s a look at which transfer made Mike Farrell’s SEC All-Transfer team, and why they will be an important addition to Freeze’s roster in 2023.

USATSI_19199174.jpg

Katie Stratman-USA TODAY Sports

Position: RB

Previous school: South Florida

What Jones says… 

Brian Battie was one of the best Group-of-Five backs this season for USF. He rushed for over 1,100 yards in 2022 for the Bulls, and will likely take on a big role for the Tigers in 2023 with Tank Bigsby leaving for the NFL Draft. It will be interesting to see if he can beat out Jarquez Hunter for the leading role this upcoming season.

USATSI_16882304.jpg

Stephen Lew-USA TODAY Sports

Position: OL

Previous School: East Carolina

What Jones says…

Avery Jones was rated as a four-star prospect, and the #13 overall guard coming out of high school in 2018. He has been very good for North Carolina and ECU over his five-year career and brings a ton of talent and experience to Auburn. I expect him to be one of the starting five up front for the Tigers in 2023.

USATSI_17259850-1.jpg

Ben Queen-USA TODAY Sports

Previous school: Western Kentucky

What Jones says…

Gunner Britton is yet another big pickup for Auburn on the offensive line. The 6-6, 275-pounder had a pass block grade of 83.9, putting him at #24 in the country when compared to other tackles. The Western Kentucky transfer only has one year of eligibility left. I expect him to start and be a leader along the offensive line for Auburn in 2023.

USATSI_19512190.jpg

Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports

Previous school: Tulsa

What Jones says… 

Another big pickup for Auburn along the offensive line is former Tulsa OT Dillon Wade. Wade was an anchor for the Golden Hurricane in 2022, playing a total of 818 snaps. He took a massive leap from 2021 to 2022, and many suspect that there is plenty of room for even more. Very good pickup for Auburn.

• Thanks 2

Keionte Scott putting ‘dynamic’ playmaking on display in Auburn secondary

Published: Mar. 20, 2023, 10:45 a.m.
5–6 minutes

When Auburn returned from spring break last week, Keionte Scott didn’t miss a beat.

The former junior college transfer picked up right where the Tigers left off a little more than a week earlier and was a menace in the secondary as everyone else got back into a rhythm. He was practicing with intent and making life difficult on Auburn’s wide receivers.

Read more Auburn football: Auburn confident Jeremiah Wright can be one of SEC’s “dominant” offensive linemen

Wesley McGriff identifies three main goals for Auburn’s defensive backs this spring

Hugh Freeze chimes in on NCAA’s proposed changes to clock rules

At one point in the day, Zac Etheridge looked over to fellow defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff and said, “Cool him off.” Scott was heating up in drills and having his best day of the spring to date, and McGriff loved every minute of it.

“I said, ‘I don’t have the water to cool this dude off,’” McGriff said. “He was locking them up (Monday), and it was fun to see. The best thing from that I you see his teammates high-fiving and head-slapping him. That guy can really impact the game. We just have to keep him trending and let him play.”

Scott has been trending upward since his delayed arrival at Auburn last fall. A transfer from Snow College who signed with Auburn’s 2022 class, Scott got to campus just a couple days before fall camp. Despite the shorter acclimation period, Scott quickly made an impact in Auburn’s secondary during the first days of practice.

He had an interception on Day 1 and earned one of the team’s player of the day honors. It didn’t stop there. Scott carved out a role in Auburn’s secondary, playing predominantly in the slot at nickel while becoming one of the Tigers’ most replied-upon and productive defensive backs. He joined a stable that included standouts D.J. James, Nehemiah Pritchett and Jaylin Simpson, and he finished the year with 54 total tackles — the most among the team’s defensive backs and fourth among all defenders — along with four tackles for loss (second most among defensive backs on the team), an interception and four pass breakups.

All while also handling primary punt-return duties and averaging 9.57 yards per return, which was top-20 nationally.

It was a transformative year for Scott as he acquitted himself well as a newcomer in the SEC.

“It’s definitely a blessing,” Scott said. “I’m definitely going to take that and use what I learned last year and apply it to my game this year. I feel like I was able to learn a lot getting that experience early and getting my feet wet a little bit. This year I kind of know what I’m getting myself into. Last year I kind of got into it and didn’t know what to look for. I definitely know what to look for and I’m using all that I acquired last year and being able to add it to my game this year, I’m excited to get into Year 2.”

For Scott, his role in Year 2 could be even more important as Auburn installs new defensive coordinator Ron Roberts’ system. Auburn’s coaches haven’t been keeping a depth chart this spring, but Scott has been one of two main options at the nickel/star position in the slot, along with veteran Donovan Kaufman. While he has also worked on the outside at corner, it’s what he brings to the table at nickel that could make him one of the more important pieces on Auburn’s defense.

The position will require more than just pass coverage in the slot; it could include playing more of a linebacker-type role while also being more involved in blitzing, given Roberts’ proclivity for dialing up pressure and creating havoc for opposing offenses. Though it’s still early in the install of the defense, Scott can already notice the difference in the role of the nickel this spring compared to last fall.

“We’re going to be doing a little bit more things, a bigger role and bigger things on our plate as far as being able to move around and do different things,” Scott said. “Nickel is nickel. Learning it now, I think there’s a little of difference, but not too big.”

As Scott quickly works to adapt to his advanced role in the secondary, McGriff has been pleased with what he has seen from the San Diego native and his approach to learning. He always has his notebook in hand and something to write with, prepared to jot down every bit of new information he can and commit it to his craft. At this level, Scott said, it’s all about finding an advantage in the margins; everyone is talented, so the details make all the difference.

“My timeline has been very brief, but I see a dynamic player,” McGriff said. “I see a guy that can impact the game. I see a guy that has the tools to play at a high level…. He’s a serious-minded individual. When he gets on the field, you can see his performance.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation.

• Thanks 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Four-star edge rusher Jamonta Waller to visit Auburn

JD McCarthy

~2 minutes

Four-star edge rusher Jamonta Waller is one of the best players in Mississippi and Auburn is very interested in him.

The feeling is mutual as he is unofficially visiting Auburn on Friday, he announced on Twitter Monday morning.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Waller is the No. 289 overall player and the No. 23 edge in the 247Sports Composite ranking. The Picayune native is also the No. 8 player from Mississippi.

He is coming off a dominant junior campaign for Picayune Memorial High School. The 6-foot-2, 225-pounder made 106 tackles, 24 tackles for loss, 11.5 sacks, and 31 quarterback hurries.

Auburn needs to land multiple pass rushers in the 2024 cycle and Waller would be a nice addition but the Tigers will need to have a great visit. This is his first time visiting the Plains and they have some ground to make up on the rest of the schools that are pursuing him.

SIPP TOUR PT. 2@CoachHughFreeze and @CoachRonRoberts I’ll be pulling up in Auburn Friday the 24th. @SWiltfong247 @ChadSimmons_ @RivalsCole @RealdealTY @CoachA_AU @adamgorney @samspiegs @gabrieldbrooks @LawrencHopkins pic.twitter.com/MlI7xsmaUl

— JamontaWALLER (@JamontaWaller) March 20, 2023

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow JD on Twitter @jdmccarthy15.

• Thanks 1

247sports.com

Freeze wants to see improved play from Auburn's quarterbacks

Mark Murphy
3–4 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama–With the Tigers into the third week of spring football practice, Coach Hugh Freeze made it clear on Monday that he is not pleased with the progress of Auburn’s quarterbacks. Freeze said he wants to see better play from Robby Ashford, T.J. Finley and Holden Geriner.

“They are very coachable,” Freeze said. “It is very new what we are asking them to do. Truthfully, I wish we were further along after watching Friday’s tape, but it is certainly not from a lack of want-to and I am not even sure it is a lack of can-do.

“I think we have to coach it better,” he said. “Hopefully, we will see a turn towards a better understanding of what we are trying to do this week.

“Again, I have been very encouraged by their willingness to listen and to be coached,” Freeze said. “We met a good while yesterday (Sunday), just me making sure we are all saying the same things about what we are wanting to do whether it is our RPO (run/pass option) offense or our progressions and reads so, hopefully, we can coach it a little better this week.

“Practice seven, eight and nine this week, hopefully, we elevate the play there,” Freeze said. The Tigers will get 15 total days of spring practices, including the annual A-Day contest on April 13th. The first major scrimmage is scheduled for this Friday with SEC officials at the session.

Freeze said the Tigers will be installing offense before Friday’s scrimmage. “We have a lot of work to do before we get to that point,” he noted.

11683214.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 T.J. Finley prepares to throw a pass in Monday's practice. (Photo: Jason Caldwell, 247Sports)

Ashford finished the 2022 season as the starting quarterback. Earlier in the season Finley was No. 1 on the depth chart prior to being injured. Geriner played just briefly last fall as a true freshman and redshirted. Those are the only three quarterbacks on the spring roster.

Freeze said there is nothing wrong with the attitude or work ethic of the QBs, but added, "I don't like the inconsistencies that I have continued to see through six (practices). I think part of that is on us, the staff, to get fixed. I have challenged myself and the quarterback to get some this fixed, the inconsistencies." He said he doesn't want the QB issues to be because of being indecisive or a lack of understanding when they need to be do. "Hopefully, by the end of the week we will see it being more consistent."

Looking at the passing game as a whole, Auburn’s new head coach said, “The two positions that stand out to me right now where we just have a long way to go are the quarterback room and the wide receiver room. I am not saying we have arrived at other spots. Those are the farthest off because they are probably–because, truthfully, we ask them to do the most and it is brand new to them.

6COMMENTS

“Which RPO should be run based on what coverage I see? How do I properly get off the technique the DB is playing. We are very, very raw at that right now.”

*** Subscribe: Receive the latest Auburn intel and scoops***

">247Sports

Auburn will be without Tate Johnson and Malcolm Johnson Jr for spring football

Published: Mar. 20, 2023, 4:20 p.m.

~2 minutes

Auburn wide receiver Malcolm Johnson Jr. carries the ball against Mercer during an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 3, 2022, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)AP

By

Nubyjas Wilborn | nwilborn@al.com

Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze told reporters Monday that wide receiver Malcolm Johnson Jr and offensive lineman Tate Johnson will miss the remaining spring football practices with injuries.

Johnson was Auburn’s starting center for four games last season under former head coach Bryan Harsin. He missed the rest of the year after having elbow surgery.

Read More Auburn Football: Everything Hugh Freeze said about Auburn’s QBs, 1st spring scrimmage

Freeze said that Johnson has a dislocated elbow and will be out for the rest of spring football. Johnson was getting first-team reps at left guard.

Freeze said Johnson Jr suffered a collarbone injury and expected the former four-star receiver to be back in June to prepare for fall camp. Auburn will have it’s seventh spring practice on Monday at the Woltosz Football Performance Center on Campus. The Tigers will play the A-Day game on Saturday, April 8, with kickoff set for 1 p.m. at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Tickets are $10 and the game will air on SEC Network+/ESPN+.

Nubyjas Wilborn covers Auburn for Alabama Media Group.

Auburn Football

Observations from Day 7 of Auburn spring football practice

Published: Mar. 20, 2023, 5:26 p.m.

AUBURN, AL - March 15, 2023 - Auburn Defensive Lineman Justin Rogers (#97) during spring practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL. Photo by Austin PerrymanAuburn University Athletics

NEW!

By

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn returned to the practice field Monday afternoon to kick off Week 3 of spring football. It was the seventh practice overall for the Tigers under first-year head coach Hugh Freeze, as well as the team’s first day back on the field after a light situational scrimmage on Friday.

After Freeze met with the local media for his weekly press conference, reporters were afforded a viewing window that lasted nearly 50 minutes at the start of practice. We got to watch four periods of practice during that window. Here’s a rundown of everything we saw during Monday’s session:

Read more Auburn football: Everything Hugh Freeze said about Auburn’s QBs, first spring scrimmage

Keionte Scott putting “dynamic” playmaking on display so far this spring

Auburn confident Jeremiah Wright can be one of SEC’s “dominant” offensive linemen

-- Freeze noted Monday that Auburn will be without two offensive contributors for the remainder of spring due to injury, while a handful of other players are dealing with minor nicks (less-serious hamstring issues and ankle injuries). The two players Auburn will be without: wide receiver Malcolm Johnson Jr., who injured his right collarbone and is expected out until June, and offensive lineman Tate Johnson, who dislocated his elbow. Both players were in attendance Monday, with Malcolm Johnson Jr. sporting a sling on his right shoulder and off to the side. Tate Johnson was in uniform and participated in stretch at the start of the viewing window but was otherwise sidelined.

-- Jeremiah Wright is still in a yellow non-contact jersey but was participating in practice. Auburn asks that players in non-contact jerseys not be identified, but the team has made available photos this spring of Wright in the yellow jersey, so it’s fair game.

-- Period 3 of practice included pace for the offensive units, lasting three rounds. Here’s what the lineup looked like for each round:

-- First unit: Robby Ashford at quarterback, with Jarquez Hunter in the backfield. The offensive line included Tulsa transfer Dillon Wade at left tackle, freshman Connor Lew at left guard, ECU transfer Avery Jones at center, Jeremiah Wright at right guard and WKU transfer Gunner Britton at right tackle. FIU transfer Rivaldo Fairweather was at tight end, while Auburn rotated a few guys at wide receiver: Nick Mardner on the outside, while Koy Moore, Tar’Varish Dawson Jr. and Ja’Varrius Johnson all got reps as well. The most notable development here is Lew, a true freshman early enrollee, working with the top unit.

-- Second unit: T.J. Finley at QB, with Damari Alston at RB. The offensive line had Garner Langlo at left tackle, Colby Smith at left guard, Jalil Irvin at center, E.J. Harris at right guard and Izavion Miller at right tackle. Landen King split out wide at wide receiver, while Auburn went to a two-tight end set with this group: Tyler Fromm and Luke Deal.

-- Third unit: Holden Geriner at QB, with Sean Jackson at RB. Offensive line: walk-on Evan Richards at left tackle, freshman Bradyn Joiner at left guard, Cort Bradley at center, Kam Stutts at right guard and freshman Clay Wedin at right tackle. Brandon Frazier was at tight end, with a trio of walk-ons at wide receiver: Colby Stafford, Jake Kruse and Jackson Billings.

-- During pace it was apparent why Freeze said Monday that wide receiver is one of the positions that needs to make the most progress this spring and isn’t where it needs to be, as Auburn had to rely on some walk-ons with the second and third groups. Omari Kelly and Jay Fair went through some early reps at the onset of the viewing period with T.J. Finley at quarterback in a drill but did not take part in pace.

-- During a light special teams period earlier in the viewing window, Auburn’s punt coverage got beat on a non-contact return by a walk-on wide receiver, Stafford.

-- Some names rotating at the star/nickel position during individual position drills: Donovan Kaufman, Keionte Scott, Caleb Wooden and Zion Puckett.

-- Working at safety during this period: Jaylin Simpson, Marquise Gilbert, Craig McDonald, Austin Ausberry.

-- Nehemiah Pritchett and freshman Kayin Lee were the top two corners working with Wesley McGriff during individual drills. McGriff has had high praise for Lee, a former four-star recruit who flipped from Ohio State, so far this spring.

-- Two of the rotations at linebacker saw Wesley Steiner and Austin Keys working in tandem, followed by Cam Riley and Robert Woodyard Jr.

-- Freeze spoke Monday about Auburn’s need to recruit more depth at the jack/edge spot on defense, because that unit isn’t as deep or as effective as it needs to be yet. That’s to be expected after losing both Derick Hall and Eku Leota. Working at jack right now are Vanderbilt transfer Elijah McAllister, true freshman Keldric Faulk, Dylan Brooks, freshman Brenton Williams and walk-on Hayden Brice. Freeze had some praise for Faulk, whose size (6-foot-6 and 275 pounds) is noticeable out on the field, adding that he expects the four-star freshman to play early.

-- Got to the defensive line at the very end of the viewing window while working my way around the two practice fields. Jeremy Garrett was working with a three-man front that included Jeffrey M’ba, Purdue transfer Lawrence Johnson and Maryland transfer Mosiah Nasili-Kite. That, of course, wasn’t the only group that repped up front during individual period, but it’s the only one I saw at the very end. Freeze earlier Monday spoke highly of Kentucky transfer Justin Rogers, who he said is a “handful” at nose tackle and the type of guy who will require double-teams from opposing offenses.

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Auburn will be without Tate Johnson and Malcolm Johnson Jr for spring football

Published: Mar. 20, 2023, 4:20 p.m.

~2 minutes

Auburn wide receiver Malcolm Johnson Jr. carries the ball against Mercer during an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 3, 2022, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)AP

By

Nubyjas Wilborn | nwilborn@al.com

Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze told reporters Monday that wide receiver Malcolm Johnson Jr and offensive lineman Tate Johnson will miss the remaining spring football practices with injuries.

Johnson was Auburn’s starting center for four games last season under former head coach Bryan Harsin. He missed the rest of the year after having elbow surgery.

Read More Auburn Football: Everything Hugh Freeze said about Auburn’s QBs, 1st spring scrimmage

Freeze said that Johnson has a dislocated elbow and will be out for the rest of spring football. Johnson was getting first-team reps at left guard.

Freeze said Johnson Jr suffered a collarbone injury and expected the former four-star receiver to be back in June to prepare for fall camp. Auburn will have it’s seventh spring practice on Monday at the Woltosz Football Performance Center on Campus. The Tigers will play the A-Day game on Saturday, April 8, with kickoff set for 1 p.m. at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Tickets are $10 and the game will air on SEC Network+/ESPN+.

Nubyjas Wilborn covers Auburn for Alabama Media Group.

Tate seems like he can't catch a break. I hope he can get better soon. 

• Like 1