2023 Softball vs Missouri

Top of 1st inning:  Penta walked the first batter, struck out the next 2, then got the next one to pop up.

Bottom of 1st inning.  Missouri started a true freshman (Cierra Harrison) in the circle.  Peralta and Garcia each got base hits.  Harrison pitched 2 balls to Jesse Blaine and Coach Anderson pulled her and put Krings (who pitched the 2nd game on Saturday)in the circle.  Blaine hit a sac fly to score the first run.  Then KK McCrary hit a ball in the infield and Missouri turned a double play.  Wish they had left Harris in!

Missouri 0 - Auburn 1

Edited by Golden Eagle
  • Like 1

I was wondering why we were being so successful against an SEC opponent and Mizzou is also the bottom of the SEC in hitting and pitching... yet these games are nail biters.... we are scoring the average runs i.e. ERA that Mizzou's pitching staff gives up...

Screenshot_20230327_182536_Chrome.jpg

Edited by AU1947

Auburn vs Missouri game 3 is a candy corn game lol Orange with white pants vs all yellow for Mizzou. Very colorful under the lights. 

Lisenby throws out a perfect base stealer for Mizzou.  High throw but strong and great tag on helmet by Peralta.  Tied at 4 mid 4th.

We lead 5 hits to 1.  But nothing doing again. 

Penta gets 2 Ks and 8 on the day.  Bottom 7 with a chance to walk off again. Let's do it!!!

• Like 1

Bri Ellis hot shot past 3rd for hit.  Roach on 2nd.

• Like 1

DENVER BRYANT WALK OFF TO RIGHT FIELD!!!! AUBURN WALK OFF 2 IN A ROW FOR SWEEP!!! WAR EAGLE

• Like 6
  • Love 2

7th inning was clutch.  Good to see.  Before the walk, last base runner was 3rd inning.  Then a walk and 2 hits after the first out. 

• Like 1

Game 3 Recap:  Auburn wins 2-1 in the bottom of the 7th (again).

Auburn had 2 runs on 7 hits with 0 errors (just like game 2 on Saturday).  They struck out 7 times, walked 2 times, and left 3 runners on base.   Maddie Penta pitched all 7 innings and threw 112 pitches.

Missouri had 1 run on 1 hit (a solo home run) with 0 errors.  They struck out 8 times, walked 4 times and left 3 runners on base.  True freshman Cierra Harrison threw the first 7 pitches and gave up 2 hits and 2 balls to the third Auburn batter when she was replaced by junior Lauren Krings.  Krings threw 99 pitches.

CMD was mic'ed up for this game and they played some of his comments to the team during the broadcast.  Would be interesting to hear what others think, but I thought he was spot on and did actually effect some behavior changes during the game.  These examples are really basic and I presume he has told them these same things (many times) in previous games.  One would hope/expect that they wouldn't need to continually be reminded but they all seemed too focused on winning vs playing each pitch.  They were trying too hard/forcing things, which didn't work, which caused more forcing, etc.    Hope they learned some lessons from this game...

• Maddie struggled a little during the game and he came out to talk to her. Reminded her to just throw the pitch and not try to direct where it was going after it left her hand (seemed to me she was trying too hard to win the game with her pitching - probably put a lot of pressure on herself to live up to Saturday's 17-strikeout performance).  It did seem to settle her down and her pitching picked up in the last couple of innings.
  • Aubrie Lisenby was catching and he told her to stop moving so much behind the plate.  Said she was tipping off Missouri to the pitch that was coming.  I hadn't noticed she was doing that.
  • Gathered the offense and told them to lay off the rise ball.  Pointed out that Krings wasn't throwing strikes and didn't have to because Auburn was swinging at balls (particularly rise balls) out of the strike zone.  He challenged them to be disciplined and make Krings throw strikes.  He also told Brie Ellis to 'stop thinking' and just react instinctively to the pitch.  She got her first hit of the series in the 7th inning.
Edited by Golden Eagle
  • Thanks 1

Good comments.  I just watched on replay, skipped about 3 innings in the middle.  Noticed McNemar wasn't dressed, arm in a sling.  Great clutch hits by Ellis and Bryant in the 7th.  We are in a pretty good position in the conference, considering our schedule.  We don't play either UT,  Kentucky or Arkansas.  UT and UK are on top of the conference.  Alabama and Florida seem to be having down years.  We are two games head of Alabama in the conference right now.  Ole Miss next at the Jane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golden Eagle said:

Game 3 Recap:  Auburn wins 2-1 in the bottom of the 7th (again).

Auburn had 2 runs on 7 hits with 0 errors (just like game 2 on Saturday).  They struck out 7 times, walked 2 times, and left 3 runners on base.   Maddie Penta pitched all 7 innings and threw 112 pitches.

Missouri had 1 run on 1 hit (a solo home run) with 0 errors.  They struck out 8 times, walked 4 times and left 3 runners on base.  True freshman Cierra Harrison threw the first 7 pitches and gave up 2 hits and 2 balls to the third Auburn batter when she was replaced by junior Lauren Krings.  Krings threw 99 pitches.

CMD was miked up for this game and they played some of his comments to the team during the broadcast.  Would be interesting to hear what others think, but I thought he was spot on and did actually effect some behavior changes during the game.  These examples are really basic and I presume he has told them these same things (many times) in previous games.  One would hope/expect that they wouldn't need to continually be reminded but they all seemed too focused on winning vs playing each pitch.  They were trying too hard/forcing things, which didn't work, which caused more forcing, etc.    Hope they learned some lessons from this game...

• Maddie struggled a little during the game and he came out to talk to her. Reminded her to just throw the pitch and not try to direct where it was going after it left her hand (seemed to me she was trying too hard to win the game with her pitching - probably put a lot of pressure on herself to live up to Saturday's 17-strikeout performance).  It did seem to settle her down and her pitching picked up in the last couple of innings.
  • Aubrie Lisenby was catching and he told her to stop moving so much behind the plate.  Said she was tipping off Missouri to the pitch that was coming.  I hadn't noticed she was doing that.
  • Gathered the offense and told them to lay off the rise ball.  Pointed out that Krings wasn't throwing strikes and didn't have to because Auburn was swinging at balls (particularly rise balls) out of the strike zone.  He challenged them to be disciplined and make Krings throw strikes.  He also told Brie Ellis to 'stop thinking' and just react instinctively to the pitch.  She got her first hit of the series in the 7th inning.

Thanks for the comments from Dean.  I wanted to watch because of the micd. Volume wasn't loud enough in my house to hear what he said. I do think Bri is trying too hard. Was happy to see her back to hitting a hard single. Early season she focused on those hits and they expanded to doubles and fences. 

• Like 2