Thoughts on QB1 Competition

StatTiger

22 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I agree he wasn’t Heisman Joe and had a lower completion percentage (especially early in year). He did provide almost 3000 passing yards in 2018 with higher completion percentages in last 5-6 games. It also gave them something incredibly positive to hang their hat on in 2019.

That team had absurd talent on both sides of the ball this team doesn't. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd take his stats in a heart beat and you're right, he became good after the Bama game. A lot of ppl think Joe was amazing their first year and it really wasn't the case.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AUwent said:

We should be quite thankful that Joe Brady wants to stay in the NFL.

That said, from the sound of it, you don't need to be "good" to be better than what's currently on our roster. "Meh" would be an improvement!

https://www.on3.com/news/why-auburn-could-and-should-be-in-the-market-for-a-transfer-quarterback-after-hugh-freezes-latest-comments-on-the-position/

I will never forgive Potato for Bo leaving.

I'd agree Joe Burrow would be an upgrade. Not doubting that at all. We also 100% need a new QB. Joe Burrows are a needle in a haystack when taking someone who has bever significantly contributed.

We're gonna be rolling the dice hoping to hit the lottery 

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

There were others better than what we have now. We'll see how we end up after spring 

Yes but we weren't paying what UK overpaid for Leary. Weren't taking SS with his inconsistencies combined with his injury sitch. And weren't getting the UVa transfer because NC State had his former QB coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

I would sure hate to see us waste another year of a promising defense and what looks to be an upgraded OL, on subpar performance at the QB position, again. Many SEC teams seem to be able to sign competent QBs on a regular basis, some even more than one. I do think CHF will be the coach that can finally get the job done. We've just got to get this problem solved and the sooner the better.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes but we weren't paying what UK overpaid for Leary. Weren't taking SS with his inconsistencies combined with his injury sitch. And weren't getting the UVa transfer because NC State had his former QB coach.

fax-machine-feed-me.gif

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

In a shock to nobody, I don't get the reference.

Fax...Facts...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'd agree Joe Burrow would be an upgrade. Not doubting that at all. We also 100% need a new QB. Joe Burrows are a needle in a haystack when taking someone who has bever significantly contributed.

We're gonna be rolling the dice hoping to hit the lottery 

Nowhere did I say I expected us to "hit the lottery"/get someone as good as Burrow. I would happily take "mediocre" when looking at what we currently have!

Just very frustrating when you look at all the bad luck we had with QB transfers in December. Normally I like seeing KY have success but damn it'll sting if Leary balls out there.

Edited by AUwent

40 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes but we weren't paying what UK overpaid for Leary.

Always find this excuse funny.

"We have a massive need for a QB and we were too cheap to get a 1st round QB"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I would happily take "mediocre" when looking at what we currently have!

I agree. We passed on that opportunity with SS. Which was my initial point (I think in this thread).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We passed on that opportunity with SS

So did literally everyone but Lane and he's not a fan

38 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Not an excuse. We simply didn't see the value in paying him what is rumored to be near or over $10 million UK supposedly paid to get him. 99.9% of college QBs aren't worth that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So did literally everyone but Lane and he's not a fan

Yeah but they also got Walker Howard, who's supposed to be a stud?

(Mind you, regardless of whether it was us or Kiffin doing the rejecting, I'm supremely glad we didn't let Sexton take us behind the woodshed again.)

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not an excuse. We simply didn't see the value in paying him what is rumored to be near or over $10 million UK supposedly paid to get him. 99.9% of college QBs aren't worth that.

"Rumored"

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Agree. It doesn’t smell right when we are told we have plenty of money to support Freeze. We have nothing at the most important position on the team. Be we can’t spend money like … Kentucky. 

• Like 1

This is going to sound disrespectful but I don't mean to be. It is just my honest opinion of the situation from the outside looking in. If Auburn's starter next year is already on the roster, Auburn will again miss out on bowl season. If you can't pass, the other teams will load the box like they have been doing. Wasting Hunter's talent as was Tanks. 

TJ has not shown he is capable of making good reads. Sure, he throws a nice pass downfield. He also panics and forces things. Even the best offensive line will have breakdowns. When that happens, TJ will go into interception mode. This is not what a good QB does. Further, I get that he nor Robbie were given an opportunity to shine but they were given an opportunity.

Robbie has not shown that he can protect the ball. He fumbles way too much. Further, I saw him miss 4 of 5 screen passes against bama. There is no touch on the ball. Everything is a fastball. Unacceptable by any metric. Sure, he can run great but you have to worry about a fumble. Just like the run up the middle without anyone within 5 yards of him and he fumbled(not a single person touched him or the ball. small hands?). So he is a player that fumbles a lot when he runs and throws interceptions when passing. He might be better served to be in the Onterio McCalebb role. 

Holden didn't get a chance last year. He looked as if he had great touch on the ball in limited action but if he can't pick up the offense, he can't play. He might be better served sitting for another year behind a transfer QB and the coaching staff hedge their bets(plan on his replacement) in case he never gets the offense.

I hope for the sake of the season that a good QB has reached out to Auburn. I hope that McCall has his grades in order. I hope that there will be someone on roster in the fall that can complete a forward pass with some consistency. Because this crap year in and out is far beyond old at this point. 

Edited by Chaotic_zx
  • Like 3

Thanks Stat, good stuff as always. 

Re transfer QBs being inferior, Okla & LSU say hi. Even in Aikmans day that was frequently false. It's not unusual at all for experienced, uber accurate QBs starting at mid level Fresno State-ish schools to portal themsleves in hopes of starting at top tier program. Anf they play against just enough quality Ds to make them realistic for the SEC. I also think the jury should still be out re Geriner's college-level accuracy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cbo said:

Agree. It doesn’t smell right when we are told we have plenty of money to support Freeze. We have nothing at the most important position on the team. Be we can’t spend money like … Kentucky. 

@cbo Again it's not can't. It's chose not to. The money is there. Also don't forget Leary is dealing with a lingering shoulder injury himself. Not sure that's worth putting millions into.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

If Auburn's starter next year is already on the roster, Auburn will again miss out on bowl season.

@Chaotic_zx Nope. We will win our 4 noncons, beat Vandy, should beat both Mississippi schools at home, and both Arky plus A%M lost a lot of players in the portal and are still at a 15 & 25 player deficit respectively. Should win both those too. Given the fortunate schedule timing break I fully expect Hugh & Co. to manage the QBs to limit their mistakes enough to get us at least 8 wins.

This staff did the right thing on not overpaying for Leary/SS. Both have an injury history and both have been very solid but not world beaters in lesser conferences than the SEC.

Other QB swill be available soon. Minus McCall, none of them will be household names, but I don’t remember AU fans rolling Toomers when we signed Newton or Marshall. CHF knows what he wants and needs for this offense and will have an even better understanding of that after spring. 

I’m still hopeful that HG keeps improving and moves ahead of Finley and RA. it has only been 8 practices so far. Too early to know on him. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I don’t remember AU fans rolling Toomers when we signed Newton

Um....that's a little crazy revisionist history. 5* HS QB and 5* JUCO #1 player when JUCO actually mattered. He also absolutely dominated at Blinn.  Everyone was ecstatic 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

but I don’t remember AU fans rolling Toomers when we signed Newton or Marshall

I don’t remember us rolling toomers with them and we wouldn’t have with McCall. I definitely remember them being a priority and we really wanting them just like McCall. 

12 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

This is going to sound disrespectful but I don't mean to be. It is just my honest opinion of the situation from the outside looking in. If Auburn's starter next year is already on the roster, Auburn will again miss out on bowl season. If you can't pass, the other teams will load the box like they have been doing. Wasting Hunter's talent as was Tanks. 

TJ has not shown he is capable of making good reads. Sure, he throws a nice pass downfield. He also panics and forces things. Even the best offensive line will have breakdowns. When that happens, TJ will go into interception mode. This is not what a good QB does. Further, I get that he nor Robbie were given an opportunity to shine but they were given an opportunity.

Robbie has not shown that he can protect the ball. He fumbles way too much. Further, I saw him miss 4 of 5 screen passes against bama. There is no touch on the ball. Everything is a fastball. Unacceptable by any metric. Sure, he can run great but you have to worry about a fumble. Just like the run up the middle without anyone within 5 yards of him and he fumbled(not a single person touched him or the ball. small hands?). So he is a player that fumbles a lot when he runs and throws interceptions when passing. He might be better served to be in the Onterio McCalebb role. 

Holden didn't get a chance last year. He looked as if he had great touch on the ball in limited action but if he can't pick up the offense, he can't play. He might be better served sitting for another year behind a transfer QB and the coaching staff hedge their bets(plan on his replacement) in case he never gets the offense.

I hope for the sake of the season that a good QB has reached out to Auburn. I hope that McCall has his grades in order. I hope that there will be someone on roster in the fall that can complete a forward pass with some consistency. Because this crap year in and out is far beyond old at this point. 

just from reading different articles and opinions it seems gariner is making some moves and beginning to understand the "o" better. i hope it is true because the better the competition the better off we will be. i just want someone to tell me if tj is better in the pocket now that our line is better.