Thoughts on QB1 Competition

StatTiger

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

Fax...Facts...

I thought it was a shredder. 😆 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i just want someone to tell me if tj is better in the pocket now that our line is better.

Without pressure, TJ would be fine. It is when pressure happens is when he has issues. Unless the QBs are live, TJ isn't going to feel that pressure. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2023 at 2:44 PM, StatTiger said:

I believe there were was only one they were prepared to offer but that fell through on the player’s part. There was a second that would have come if offered but no offer was made. I’m sure they were not just going to sign a body. I don’t expect there be a bunch of options when the portal reopens in May.

There won’t be many better options at all, but that as on the HC, for not doing more due diligence of what is this teams current Achilles heel. You offered one guy, his grades weren’t there and then South Carolina and Ole Miss swooped up the best portal QB’s. We can hope maybe one of the kids from UGA decides to transfer, but at this point, you better be coaching up what you have now, because it’s very unlikely that an already developed and experienced QB will be around. 

• Like 1

I am not saying Geriner will be QB1 but I think to many assumed he was odd man out as he was getting 3rd team reps and not looking very good. He is a Redshirt Freshman competing against 2 QB's that have been SEC starters.  A new Offense comes in and an RPO offense is all about seeing reacting, muscle memory to make the throw and timing.  If it takes you to long to see and react your timing is off and your throws look horrible and that is what we were told about Geriner. Now we hear he looked much better Friday not perfect but much better.  He has gotten more reps in and is starting to learn the offense and all of a sudden he cam make throws he wasn't making a week ago.

He is a 4* who played against less then elite teams so there was some doubt about him but in the camp circuit we saw he had a live arm and was accurate but the camp circuit is not the same as a game or even a full scrimmage.  A week ago people were saying he didn't look like he had the arm strength or the accuracy.  So some were wondering if he had some unknown injury. Maybe it wasn't arm strength and accuracy but just taking to long for him to process. After another week of reps all of a sudden he looked much better and his arm is healthy.

An RPO offense requires both the receivers and the QB's to make the same reads. Some bad throws are because a QB expected one thing and the WR went a different way. Reps and coaching both the QB's and the WR's improves that.

As the most experienced I expected TJ to initially look the best with Ashford second but we are starting to see Geriner looking better and competing. Also scrimmages where QB's really can't run takes away Ashford's strength so it is hard to judge.  I think HF is looking for a transfer QB if he can find the right one but with time and getting used to an RPO offense our QB's will get better as will our WR's.

Of course I am worried about QB but I am encouraged about the little news that has come out about how the Offense is improving from week to week.  If O-line is as good as some seem to indicate and with a solid D we can have a decent record this year as long as we have a serviceable QB which is all I was looking for this year. Anything beyond that is gravy.  Time will tell. 

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 3

On 3/25/2023 at 6:12 PM, W.E.D said:

Joe Burrow is exactly the type of QB we'd get. He couldn't win at his current place and wasn't a starter. He wasn't a starting QB that left, which is exactly what you quoted. 

What's more...Joe is 1 our if how many back ups that transfered in the spring that actually was good?

Also, @DAGpls help me out on explaining Joe wasn't Heisman Joe in season 1 with his 57% comp

I agree!!! It seems that a ton of fans think Burrow set the world on fire both years at LSU. He struggled in 2018 with 18 TD's, if I remember correctly, and 57% completion %. He couldn't get on the field at Ohio State and his first year at LSU was similar to Chris Todd in year 2 at Auburn. Hell, Chris Todd had better numbers than Burrow for the most part. 

10 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I agree!!! It seems that a ton of fans think Burrow set the world on fire both years at LSU. He struggled in 2018 with 18 TD's, if I remember correctly, and 57% completion %. He couldn't get on the field at Ohio State and his first year at LSU was similar to Chris Todd in year 2 at Auburn. Hell, Chris Todd had better numbers than Burrow for the most part. 

See my previous comment about Joe Brady--we don't want him in the SEC again!

• 4 months later...