Thoughts on QB1 Competition

StatTiger

17 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Observations and thoughts on the Quarterbacks:

· I’ve enjoyed Hugh Freeze's transparency level regarding the team, especially at the quarterback position. Up to this point, the man has stated the offense is not close to being installed. There has been no separation among the top-3 quarterbacks, and some of that could be related to coaching. Not only are the QB's struggling but the WR's have not been on the same page when it comes to the RPO game. For now, the QB’s will continue to rotate and receive equal reps to learn the offense.

· In the past, Coach Freeze has stated that “accuracy” is the No.1 priority, and the individual players are expected to possess this ability already. This makes sense since the NCAA limits the time coaches can spend with players, so the time spent on fundamentals will be limited. It's also the reason why we are seeing more QB's utilize personal trainers to work on their mechanics. The other consideration is that most players at this level (collegiate) develop good and bad habits, and the bad habits can be a challenge to overcome. This could benefit Finley and Geriner over Ashford.

· Freeze commented on practice and real-time performances, utilizing Malik Willis and Bo Wallace as examples. Some players are average in practice but shine when the games are played. Some players are exceptional in the controlled practice environment but struggle when the lights come on. This could benefit a player like Robby Ashford. Speaking of Ashford, he cannot display his full capabilities in practice because contact is limited. We witnessed this with Cam Newton and Nick Marshall. Evaluating what Ashford can do in practice won’t reveal his full potential. Freeze at Liberty did not know what he had in Malik Willis until the season began.

· The talk of adding another quarterback when the portal reopens remains a reality. It, however, does not mean that the 2023 QB1 isn’t already on the roster. Hugh Freeze stated it is his and his assistant’s responsibility to improve the roster and talent level every year through recruiting. The starter for 2023 could be Ashford, Finley, or Geriner, but if there is a capable QB in the portal who can provide quality depth, you sign him. It could also mean the portal transfer has an opportunity to be QB1. If a transfer QB is brought into the mix, I could see a current QB transferring out.

· A starter won’t likely be named until August. I could see a similar situation much like 2022, where a starter is named for the season opener, but there is a plan in place to play No. 2. If this is the case, we will know there was limited separation between No. 1 and No. 2, and it won’t be worked out until the games are played. It is rarely advantageous for rotating quarterbacks during the season outside of injuries, but sometimes it cannot be prevented.

· Regardless of who the starter is, we will see some level of improvement in the passing game. How much progress remains to be seen. The current staff possesses a better track record in developing a passing game than the previous staff, good news for those involved in the competition to be QB1.

· A lot can change from now until the season opener, which means allowing the process to play out. As transparent as Hugh Freeze has been, he will update the process, and we will know more as time passes. Freeze said from the outset that he would be more demanding of the QB position than any other position because more is asked of them. So, when we hear Freeze is not satisfied, it doesn't mean there is no hope for the current prospects. It could mean they're not close to the level of perfection Freeze has established. It reminds me of Steve Spurrier and his quarterbacks at Florida. He once chewed out Terry Dean after he completed his 5th TD pass of the game. Dean was thrilled he tied a school record, but Spurrier was upset he threw the TD pass to the wrong WR. 

· The key, for now, is obtaining the most of what the coaches have to work with. QB1 this year might be different from the starter in 2024. We all know that an efficient passing game is a must to compete at a high level in the SEC and the Power-5 level. The reality might be that Auburn needs to be more talented in the QB room to reach that goal immediately. A solid running game and a consistent run defense with an improved passing game could be enough to win 7-8 games in a 13-game season.

I am still excited about the future, which hasn’t been the case during the last 3-5 years.

thanks for taking the time to engage us.i got questions and if you cannot answer them i understand. how did tj do in the scrimmage with folks coming after him? does he have more confidence in the o line and trusting them before bailing on the play? i keep hearing geriner is the most accurate and he has made some huge gains. i have also heard it is pretty rough right now with him learning the system. and someone stated on the rant robby fumbled three times friday night and might be struggling more than the other two?  i would just like some clarification on how they all stand right now. i know things are subject tp change. like tank said geriner is the most accurate passer he has seen in i assume high school and maybe college ball? thanx for any insites.

11 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I'll happily take just an "ok" QB out of the TP!

Not sure why we didn't so that in the winter, TBQH. We'll see what the spring holds for us

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Not sure why we didn't so that in the winter, TBQH. We'll see what the spring holds for us

Yeah, we should've gone after SS.

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

I'll happily take just an "ok" QB out of the TP!

I believe there were was only one they were prepared to offer but that fell through on the player’s part. There was a second that would have come if offered but no offer was made. I’m sure they were not just going to sign a body. I don’t expect there be a bunch of options when the portal reopens in May.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Not sure why we didn't so that in the winter,

We tried. He didn't pass his classes

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

I believe there were was only one they were prepared to offer but that fell through on the player’s part. There was a second that would have come if offered but no offer was made. 

This^^^

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

I don’t expect there be a bunch of options when the portal reopens in May.

Probably not a bunch, but a few have made contact.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yes but after we knew this , we should’ve gotten someone IF, IF, IF, there was no true guarantee that we knew he could finish his classes.

Now if we actually do get this guy, the people harping about we should’ve got , such and suck is going to look like idiots. The opposite will be true for the staff if the eye chose to negate that knowing full well that these QBs aren’t ready. I tend to think we got someone who will be here this summer. 

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

I tend to think we got someone who will be here this summer. 

Me too

• Like 1

I'm confident that if the QB's really suck freeze will do all he can to get somebody here

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

There were others better than what we have now. We'll see how we end up after spring 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Yes but after we knew this , we should’ve gotten someone IF, IF, IF, there was no true guarantee that we knew he could finish his classes.

Now if we actually do get this guy, the people harping about we should’ve got , such and suck is going to look like idiots. The opposite will be true for the staff if the eye chose to negate that knowing full well that these QBs aren’t ready. I tend to think we got someone who will be here this summer. 

Let's be honest here....unless something happens that we've never seen before (like a returning starting QB leaving after spring), our options are going to be guys who couldn't win the starting job at their current schools.

Could it happen for a first time? Sure! Hope it does.

It's the old one in the hand, two in the bush. Right now we've got nothing. Hugh didn't want to/couldn't pay the kid that went to Kentucky. Our #1 choice was a moron. We tried to get thenkid that went to Notre Dame, Wisconsin, LSU transfer, etc. Was the 2nd tier like Sanders no different? In Hugh's mind he thought so.

I hope he's right

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm confident that if the QB's really suck freeze will do all he can to get somebody here

Plenty of evidence he's trying to get QBs and knows we need to upgrade asap

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Plenty of evidence he's trying to get QBs and knows we need to upgrade asap

If TJ comes out of fall as QB1, I think we lose 6 to 7 again, but that’s possibly true for any of the three competing. My biggest worry is, why has HG not grasped things better? Is it due to this being his second O to learn in 2 years, or was the scouting report wrong on him? Seems RA is still struggling bad and legs alone won’t win in the SEC. Gotta be able to make the passes and read what the D is bringing. Luckily, there’s plenty of time for one of them to actually pull ahead. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

If TJ comes out of fall as QB1, I think we lose 6 to 7 again, but that’s possibly true for any of the three competing. My biggest worry is, why has HG not grasped things better? Is it due to this being his second O to learn in 2 years, or was the scouting report wrong on him? Seems RA is still struggling bad and legs alone won’t win in the SEC. Gotta be able to make the passes and read what the D is bringing. Luckily, there’s plenty of time for one of them to actually pull ahead. 

HG is a RSFR vs a 4th year guy like the other two. Tbqh he should still be learning and making mistakes. Most kids ranked as low 4*, he'll outside the 100, should sit and learn for 3 years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Agree I think he has been doing that as well. No way they settle with what they have. As for SS, I do think he was waiting for an offer. I also think what he was asking for played some part in him not getting an offer. So that tells me the coaching staff feels like even if we get someone by summer, they will be as productive as SS in their eyes. 

I would sure hate to see us waste another year of a promising defense and what looks to be an upgraded OL, on subpar performance at the QB position, again. Many SEC teams seem to be able to sign competent QBs on a regular basis, some even more than one. I do think CHF will be the coach that can finally get the job done. We've just got to get this problem solved and the sooner the better.

• Like 5

“Let's be honest here....unless something happens that we've never seen before (like a returning starting QB leaving after spring), our options are going to be guys who couldn't win the starting job at their current schools.”

So, a guy like Joe Burrow, is someone that you wouldn’t take?  Not saying there is one out there, but I’m also not ruling out there might be one available.   No one really knows until the player gets an opportunity.   

Edited by aubaseball
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

“Let's be honest here....unless something happens that we've never seen before (like a returning starting QB leaving after spring), our options are going to be guys who couldn't win the starting job at their current schools.”

So, a guy like Joe Burrow, is someone that you wouldn’t take?  Not saying there is one out there, but I’m also not ruling out there might be one available.   No one really knows until the player gets an opportunity.   

Joe Burrow is exactly the type of QB we'd get. He couldn't win at his current place and wasn't a starter. He wasn't a starting QB that left, which is exactly what you quoted. 

What's more...Joe is 1 our if how many back ups that transfered in the spring that actually was good?

Also, @DAGpls help me out on explaining Joe wasn't Heisman Joe in season 1 with his 57% comp

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Joe Burrow is exactly the type of QB we'd get. He couldn't win at his current place and wasn't a starter. He wasn't a starting QB that left, which is exactly what you quoted. 

What's more...Joe is 1 our if how many back ups that transfered in the spring that actually was good?

Also, @DAGpls help me out on explaining Joe wasn't Heisman Joe in season 1 with his 57% comp

I agree he wasn’t Heisman Joe and had a lower completion percentage (especially early in year). He did provide almost 3000 passing yards in 2018 with higher completion percentages in last 5-6 games. It also gave them something incredibly positive to hang their hat on in 2019.

29 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Oh man ….nope he was not and he had a defense and running game to rely on for his growth. They could be patient with him. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We should be quite thankful that Joe Brady wants to stay in the NFL.

That said, from the sound of it, you don't need to be "good" to be better than what's currently on our roster. "Meh" would be an improvement!

https://www.on3.com/news/why-auburn-could-and-should-be-in-the-market-for-a-transfer-quarterback-after-hugh-freezes-latest-comments-on-the-position/

I will never forgive Potato for Bo leaving.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2