The dubious legal theory at the heart of the Trump indictment, explained

TitanTiger

Wasn't sure which Trump thread to put it in, but Vox gives a good detailed explanation of the legal issues with this indictment and why they (and most here it seems) see it as the weakest of the potential court cases against him.

https://www.vox.com/politics/2023/4/4/23648390/trump-indictment-supreme-court-stormy-daniels-manhattan-alvin-bragg

Thanks. A good read, and reinforces the concern about how robust the case is. Short of something dramatic in this newer evidence Bragg claims to have found, I don't see this going anywhere.

If Bragg can successfully argue that the 2-year statute of limitations on state law has not expired, perhaps he's thinking that will be enough of a success? Seems iffy, since that's only a misdemeanor. Just guessing at his thinking.

Dangerous, political weaponization of the justice system. Trump has done a lot of things but if I were Biden I’d be worried in a few cycles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Dangerous, political weaponization of the justice system. Trump has done a lot of things but if I were Biden I’d be worried in a few cycles. 

Not sure why you see it as weaponization before all the facts have come out. At the very least, no one seems to disagree that Trump's actions on this were at least a misdemeanor, even if tying them to a federal felony charge is a stretch at this point.