Baseball vs Texas A&M

Another game we should not have lost. One of the most important stats for baseball is percentage of first pitch strikes. Not sure where we officially stand, but it seems like our pitchers are insistent on starting hitters 1-0 or 2-0. Meanwhile our hitters are increasingly falling behind 0-1 or 0-2. 14 strikeouts last night and many of those were non-competitive at bats. I would feel better if I could say this is due to a youth movement but a lot of this is coming from our juniors and seniors. Hope to see our coaches make some adjustments tonight. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Another game we should not have lost. One of the most important stats for baseball is percentage of first pitch strikes. Not sure where we officially stand, but it seems like our pitchers are insistent on starting hitters 1-0 or 2-0. Meanwhile our hitters are increasingly falling behind 0-1 or 0-2. 14 strikeouts last night and many of those were non-competitive at bats. I would feel better if I could say this is due to a youth movement but a lot of this is coming from our juniors and seniors. Hope to see our coaches make some adjustments tonight. 

Other than one inning poor night at the plate. No chance after the 7th inning 3 run Homer.

https://auburntigers.com/sports/baseball/stats/2023/texas-am/boxscore/20784

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Other than one inning poor night at the plate. No chance after the 7th inning 3 run Homer.

Agree. The most frustrating play for me was watching our 2d baseman run into right field twisting and turning and fall down while letting a routine fly ball drop beside him. That is an outfielders ball all day long. That’s not unique to Auburn though. It’s the worst play in baseball at all levels and started in the 90s when ESPN started highlighting guys like Ozzie Smith doing it. A guy running into a ball in a straight line and forward is always going to have a better read than a guy running backwards and sideways. I don’t understand coaches not coaching that. 

• Like 2

I feel sorry for LaRue. He wants to hit the ball but he just looks so uncomfortable at the plate. He's had some truly bad looking strikeouts this season. Fingers crossed that he'll get it together before long.

• Like 1

Hard to win games when your pitching is giving up between 8-20 runs per game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fishepa said:

Hard to win games when your pitching is giving up between 8-20 runs per game.

It’s obvious we miss Gonzalez and don’t have great arms. But not throwing first pitch strikes is killing us. It’s driving up pitch counts and putting the hitters in charge. It also leads to more walks, and ultimately runs. 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I feel sorry for LaRue. He wants to hit the ball but he just looks so uncomfortable at the plate. He's had some truly bad looking strikeouts this season. Fingers crossed that he'll get it together before long.

Agreed. I love the guy. Great arm but his next level potential is drying up if he can’t fix it. There’s a place in MLB for a guy with his skills hitting .225, but not hitting .125. Would love to see him turn it around. 

Won the first one 10-9 but pitchers gave up 14 walks. Down 3-0 after top of 1st in the second game. Pitcher walked the 4 of the first 5 hitters. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by Gowebb11

Already given up 7 runs and still in the top of the 2nd. This pitching staff isn't juco quality. Lots of misses

44 minutes ago, tigers23 said:

Already given up 7 runs and still in the top of the 2nd. This pitching staff isn't juco quality. Lots of misses

The mechanics of some of these guys is atrocious. Butch has a lot of work to do to rebuild this staff. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

The mechanics of some of these guys is atrocious. Butch has a lot of work to do to rebuild this staff. 

Situation looking grim at best. 

20 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

Loss. 12-6.  Gotta get better pitching, fast (is that possible?)

As soon as Gonzo gets back.  Just hoping he will get back.

I want to believe that will radically change the way this staff performs.  Five or six quality innings on the front end of Friday will make the back end on Sunday a whole lot stronger.  

I'm starting to think this is going to be an in between year.  I know the SEC is ridiculous but you have to do a little better than what Auburn has done so far.  Didn't we have a great recruiting class this past year?  Maybe this team is just too young?  Maybe this is the result of Covid?