Campbell has "quirky" throw

DCTiger

Link

"I don't see quirky. I see an awesome throwing motion," Coach Joe Gibbs said.

Who is Campbell's Freshman QB coach that screwed around with his throwing motion?

on a side note ... Carlos is back in practice ... 100 % ... and will play Friday night against Cincy.

He definately doesn't have the short and quick release of Dan Marino or Peyton Manning. He may have to shorten his release in the NFL. In college he could get away with that long wind up, in the NFL the DBs and LBs are much quicker and faster than in college. Result: the possiblity for more ints.

manning's mechanics have to be perfect b/c he doesn't really have a cannon. he's just the picture of perfection. if you have a big gun, like jason for example, you can hold the ball a little longer even in the league. watch guys like dontae culpepper and brett favre and even vick when he bothers to throw it. they all have bigger windups than manning b/c they all have stronger arms. if it works, no need to change it, and jason's looked better than noodle arm brunell or patrick ramsey from all i've read.

When I think of great QBs, 2 names jump out at me: John Elway and Dan Marino. Both had cannons for arms and also had ultra quick releases. JC will have to shorten his delivery to be effective, imho.

JC, while at AU, showed a tendancy to lock on to recievers and telegraph his throws. You can't do that in the NFL. Washington has a former NFL QB as a QB coach, so I'm sure that they will address the issue.

:au:

It's all about pass protection from the offensive line, deception, and play calling in the NFL. Just look at Joe Montana, he didn't have a quick release, or size, or even great arm strength. He had a great O-line and an uncanny ability to perform when the stage was bright. A great offensive mind like Bill Walsh as head coach did not hurt his cause either.

Tom Brady is an even better example. Like Campbell, Brady goes through the motions too with his arm before he throws. However, New England uses a lot of trickery and play action passing in their offensive repetoire.

Yes, an NFL QB has less time to throw the ball but this is Jason Campbell we're talking about, not Danny Weurful who took forever and a day to release the football. If the pass protection is there and the OC does a good job through play calling of keeping the Defensive LB's honest and off balance, then Campbell's throwing motion should not be a problem.

Every QB has one negative aspect of his game. Maybe too short, weak arm, slow release, etc. What you cannot take away from a QB is his heart, determination, and ability to win games.

I think that Jason Campbell will be just fine. Maybe he will quicken his release but a quick release is not essential to being effective in the NFL. Just look at Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware, Heath Shuler, and all of the other first round busts. All of them had quick releases but they were also a pack of deer lost in the headlights when they saw NFL defenses. If you cannot read an NFL defense, then your career will be over before it begins. With five OC's in five years, I think that Jason Campbell will have a good idea as to what to expect from an NFL defense and will be able to adjust his game.

Alex :sec::au:

Archived