Dylan Mulvaney

TexasTiger

I think this is a pretty balanced take by Andrew Sullivan who states he’s more irritated by the Right’s reaction than the Left’s, but recognizes both miss the mark. I do wonder how anyone can watch this video and not find it any more than a performance— a mockery of both women (or as Dylan mockingly calls it “girlhood.”) and trans women who genuinely struggle with what they are experiencing. Before reacting to this post, actually watch the video in its entirety. It’s a fascinating study about where we currently are on what is a far more challenging experience for many:

https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/the-strange-minstrelsy-of-dylan-mulvaney-0be?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I think this is a pretty balanced take by Andrew Sullivan who states he’s more irritated by the Right’s reaction than the Left’s, but recognizes both miss the mark. I do wonder how anyone can watch this video and not find it any more than a performance— a mockery of both women (or as Dylan mockingly calls it “girlhood.”) and trans women who genuinely struggle with what they are experiencing. Before reacting to this post, actually watch the video in its entirety. It’s a fascinating study about where we currently are on what is a far more challenging experience for many:

https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/the-strange-minstrelsy-of-dylan-mulvaney-0be?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

ICHY thinks Dylan is a role model for women & trans women. Or he reflexively and mindlessly facepalmed. Latter is more likely.

• Facepalm 1

17 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

ICHY thinks Dylan is a role model for women & trans women. Or he reflexively and mindlessly facepalmed. Latter is more likely.

I will never understand yours and IM4's obsession with transsexuals. 

I apologize for offending you.  I just do not understand it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I will never understand yours and IM4's obsession with transsexuals. 

I apologize for offending you.  I just do not understand it.

You’re not offending me. It’s silly how often you say that. I didn’t make Dylan news. It’s not some obscure story I dug up on a random forum. These are significant news stories playing prominently in legislatures and the media. These are valid topics of discussion. You approach these topics as intruding on your deeply held ideological positions that cannot be questioned. You have certain topics, like any fundamentalist, for which you cannot or will not engage in or tolerate critical thought and discussion. Why is that?

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You’re not offending me. It’s silly how often you say that. I didn’t make Dylan news. It’s not some obscure story I dug up on a random forum. These are significant news stories playing prominently in legislatures and the media. These are valid topics of discussion. You approach these topics as intruding on your deeply held ideological positions that cannot be questioned. You have certain topics, like any fundamentalist, for which you cannot or will not engage in or tolerate critical thought and discussion. Why is that?

Probably because transsexuals comprise .47% of the U.S. population.  They represent no threat to you and, all they wish to do is exist with equal rights.  They are not in any way a REAL issue.

Now, how about your obsession/preoccupation.  What is that based upon?  I understand the prejudice, the politicalization, the irrational fears, even the sexual cacoethes.  What's driving your interest?

• Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

Probably because transsexuals comprise .47% of the U.S. population.  They represent no threat to you and, all they wish to do is exist with equal rights.  They are not in any way a REAL issue.

Now, how about your obsession/preoccupation.  What is that based upon?  I understand the prejudice, the politicalization, the irrational fears, even the sexual cacoethes.  What's driving your interest?

You’re a fundamentalist with mindless mantras. If you were actually a thinking person, instead of someone wishing to seem erudite, and yet clueless about where to begin, you’d know the crap you just stated doesn’t apply to anything I’ve said on the subject. You consistently demonstrated you’re incapable of true discussion. You just repeat positions and mantras ad nauseum. 

Despite the small numbers, the newsworthiness is unmistakable. Despite the small numbers, the impact on language is dramatic (what are your pronouns? What gender were you assigned at birth?) and language is what we use to define reality. It’s also what we use to teach people everything- including medical professionals (including those working with birthing persons and chest feeders).

Despite the small numbers, there is an outsized impact on marketing and media.

Despite the small numbers, folks like you tell women to shut up. Their concerns aren’t valid because what do they know about womanhood? You’re a misogynist and homophobic so you dismiss many concerns. Those are actually two things about you I find offensive.

Now, folks like me believe folks should be free to live, dress, act and call themselves what they wish, even if it entails adherence to restrictive, narrow stereotypes even though I personally find such views regressive and inappropriate to apply to others. So I think Dylan is free to dress and act as she wishes (I’ll honor her chosen pronouns). I don’t think she’s intentionally malicious, but I also think she’s often mocking women and I understand those women who are offended. I think it’s exceedingly poor judgement for corporations to see her as representative of women or trans people, but I agree with Sullivan that the right wing response is ridiculous. You think women should seek Dylan’s endorsement on sports bras. That’s your right. 

To me, it would have made more sense to have Elliott Page sharing a Bud Light with friends like people do. I doubt many folks would have been bothered by that. Elliott seems like someone just trying to live his life. I think most folks support that. But Bud Light can do whatever the hell they like. I don’t care. But it is news.

These are all valid topics mature folks can intelligently discuss, even though you clearly can’t. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

You’re a fundamentalist with mindless mantras. If you were actually a thinking person, instead of someone wishing to seem erudite, and yet clueless about where to begin, you’d know the crap you just stated doesn’t apply to anything I’ve said on the subject. You consistently demonstrated you’re incapable of true discussion. You just repeat positions and mantras ad nauseum. 

Despite the small numbers, the newsworthiness is unmistakable. Despite the small numbers, the impact on language is dramatic (what are your pronouns? What gender were you assigned at birth?) and language is what we use to define reality. It’s also what we use to teach people everything- including medical professionals (including those working with birthing persons and chest feeders).

Despite the small numbers, there is an outsized impact on marketing and media.

Despite the small numbers, folks like you tell women to shut up. Their concerns aren’t valid because what do they know about womanhood? You’re a misogynist and homophobic so you dismiss many concerns. Those are actually two things about you I find offensive.

Now, folks like me believe folks should be free to live, dress, act and call themselves what they wish, even if it entails adherence to restrictive, narrow stereotypes even though I personally find such views regressive and inappropriate to apply to others. So I think Dylan is free to dress and act as she wishes (I’ll honor her chosen pronouns). I don’t think she’s intentionally malicious, but I also think she’s often mocking women and I understand those women who are offended. I think it’s exceedingly poor judgement for corporations to see her as representative of women or trans people, but I agree with Sullivan that the right wing response is ridiculous. You think women should seek Dylan’s endorsement on sports bras. That’s your right. 

To me, it would have made more sense to have Elliott Page sharing a Bud Light with friends like people do. I doubt many folks would have been bothered by that. Elliott seems like someone just trying to live his life. I think most folks support that. But Bud Light can do whatever the hell they like. I don’t care. But it is news.

These are all valid topics mature folks can intelligently discuss, even though you clearly can’t. 

I apologize.  I am sorry I have offended you.

• Facepalm 3

1 minute ago, icanthearyou said:

OMG. Copy and paste.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Dylan is a walking ball of stereotypes and tropes.  It's cosplay.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

He's a one note song.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This new tactic is worse than the umpteen years your spent doing nothing but facepalms. At least then you weren’t pretending to say something of substance. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wow.  You guys are really looking for a fight, trying to make it very personal. 

Sorry, it makes no sense to argue over a non issue.  Can't help you on this one. 

But please, carry on with your efforts to dehumanize others.  Your irrational anger is telling.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

33 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I apologize that I offended you.

Sorry, it makes no sense to argue over a non issue.  Can't help you on this one. 

But please, carry on with your efforts to dehumanize others.  Your irrational anger is telling.

If you want to discuss it, discuss it.  If you don't and just want to repeat mindless drivel like "I'm sorry I offended you" to avoid having to say anything that matters, then just go back to emoticons.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Dylan is a walking ball of stereotypes and tropes.  It's cosplay.

POST OF THE DAY.

It is nothing more than Cosplay...

11 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Please go back to emoticons if you can’t offer up anything of value. 

This is a sad, but telling, example of how many men see women in stereotypical ways (dress & behavior) even while seeing themselves as sympathetic and helpful. Watch the brief video and the way these guys prance in pink heels to supposedly raise the issue of violence against women.

7 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

This is a sad, but telling, example of how many men see women in stereotypical ways (dress & behavior) even while seeing themselves as sympathetic and helpful. Watch the brief video and the way these guys prance in pink heels to supposedly raise the issue of violence against women.

And how does he respond when called out for being patronizing? Insults the women further for not appreciating his “support.”

4B08813F-81C3-40C2-AF49-A0F31702448A.jpeg

20 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

That is a bunch of poofs with an excuse to wear heels. It helped nothing.

21 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

That is a bunch of poofs with an excuse to wear heels. It helped nothing.

I think it was fairly typical group of men, many who think they’re being progressive, but giving very little thought to a more complex issue and responding based on deeply held stereotypes of women.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

These guys didn‘t come up with this on their own, it is a female organization that is knows as Halton Women PI.

Having said that:  it was not helping as they looked like, well, Dylan Mulvanyish.

21 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

These guys didn‘t come up with this on their own, it is a female organization that is knows as Halton Women PI.

Having said that:  it was not helping as they looked like, well, Dylan Mulvanyish.

Men aren’t the only folks focused on ridiculous stereotypes. But this organization specifies it is focused on gender based violence, not sex based violence. Violence against women based on their sex is a huge issue that is increasingly being diminished. How does this organization define gender based violence?

7EC316E7-3418-4040-8584-23A08B1A3C88.jpeg

13 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

If you want to discuss it, discuss it.  If you don't and just want to repeat mindless drivel like "I'm sorry I offended you" to avoid having to say anything that matters, then just go back to emoticons.

I have given you my opinion.  And again, I am sorry you do not care for it.  This is in no way a political issue.  I am curious as to what is driving you though.  I cannot imagine what is causing you to be so hateful.  It certainly is not Jesus.  I ask again, what is causing you to view transsexuals with such raw emotion?  What is the significance of this issue to you.

If you do not care for my manner, my posting here.  You can easily remedy that.   But please, do not dictate the thoughts are acceptable to you.  Please moderate using the guidelines of the forum.