AU gets no respect

alexgreatau

AlexgreatAU My Man, I have been following Auburn for over 50 years and we have always been "an underdog team." The downside to this philosopy is that you get NO RESPECT when you prove you can't handle the pressure of being picked high as WE HAVE done so often. Hey, it's our own fault to a  degree. I think Tubs is trying to get us out of that syndrome of being an up and down team  that does nothing but piss off the oddsmakers in Vegas trying to cover the spread. We have made paupers out of princes many times....with our unpredictable play. Pat Dye attempted to rectify this syndrome and to some degree, succeeded but eventually fell victim to it too.

We need to learn to EXPECT GREAT THINGS and then DELIVER THEM on a consistent basis IF we expect media respect and higher ratings. The down side of this is we become spoiled like the Bammers and lose perspective of a "game" and "players" and elevate them to Gods and the game to a life or death situation. NOT GOOD EITHER! OK, had my say. Roll on Baby Roll on... :big:

174546[/snapback]

Shug

I agree with you when you say we have a tendicy to not live up to expectations and therefore lose respect in the national eye. What I do not understand is when teams like Oklahome get punked two years in a row in the NC game still garner nations respect?

the polls are alot like a horse race...........it doesn't matter where you start it's where you finish that counts.

Okay, time out. It's good to start the seaason as an underdog instead of top 5, but it DOES matter where you start. Starting between top 15 - 20 in the SEC means you usually cannot lose ANY games and finish top 5, there's just not enough games in the season to catch up. On the other heand, start top 5 - 10, lose to a good team early, and historically an SEC team can climb back into the title picture by the end of the season. Given that it's SUPER rare for a team to go 13-0 in the SEC, it DOES matter where these knuckleheads put us preseason.

"Michigan and Notre Dame don't want to play us anytime soon, that may be true. Both of these institutions are looking for an easy win and it won't come against Auburn".

I beg to differ, Notre Dame and Mich play 2 of the toughest schedules year in, year out, despite historical rivals like Army also being on the schedule. After Housel and Tubbs cancelled FSU (a team we're 17-4-1 against, including an AU win the last time we played in '90), we can't exactly talk about schools cancelling either.

Archived