Feelings on this model of CFB

AUght2win

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Fans show up and tune in to root for their school. No specific player or talent level is what draws fans to the stadium

Yes, that's why GA Tech sells out every game bc golly darn people are rooting for their schools!

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yes, that's why GA Tech sells out every game bc golly darn people are rooting for their schools!

That is such a bad argument. What is the point of naming a less popular school? Are you intimating college football isn’t popular? Or that it’d popular at GT with more money? Or…?

Yes, some schools have more popular football programs than others. Incredible stuff.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

That is such a bad argument. What is the point of naming a less popular school? Are you intimating college football isn’t popular? Or that it’d popular at GT with more money? Or…?

Yes, some schools have more popular football programs than others. Incredible stuff.

They are less popular bc they are bad and the players are bad. They used to be good and had plenty of support. people would sell out and show up for games.

If Auburn went on a streak of 6 win seasons for a decade, do you think JHS is still going to be packed out?

Hell no

11 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

GT still averages around 69% capacity as terrible as they have been. I would think the drop off in attendence when schools go from decent/good to average/bad is by large related to the sidewalk fans no longer going. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

GT still averages around 69% capacity as terrible as they have been. I would think the drop off in attendence when schools go from decent/good to average/bad is by large related to the sidewalk fans no longer going. 

And their AD is near broke bc football runs all

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

They are less popular bc they are bad and the players are bad. They used to be good and had plenty of support. people would sell out and show up for games.

If Auburn went on a streak of 6 win seasons for a decade, do you think JHS is still going to be packed out?

Hell no

First off, yes JHS would. We have a fanbase like Tennessee or Nebraska. They show up regardless.

Secondly, you still don’t understand the argument. The argument is that if college football AS A WHOLE was filled with walk-ons, people would still watch. That’s why player skill isn’t what is propelling its popularity.

People don’t go to CFB games primarily for the thrill of seeing elite athleticism. That’s for pro sports. People WILL buy tickets to see Lebron or Jordan or Brady or Manning pull off incredible feats.

But nobody went to Auburn-Florida in 2019 “because I have to see Bo Nix and Kyle Trask play!” Nobody went to the A&M game because they just couldn’t pass up the chance to watch Tank play. It really doesn’t matter who is wearing the AU - AS LONG as they’re wearing the AU.

The players are benefiting from and participating in something, they are not offering irreplaceable value to it.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Fans show up and tune in to root for their school. No specific player or talent level is what draws fans to the stadium. It’s an affinity for the school

I feel like this is why I don't agree with your original statement. Hundreds of players filter in and out of a college athletics program over the years. I watch because I love my school and want us to win... If a player helps that happen, I'm glad he's here. What originally brought him here doesn't lessen the game for me. Bo Nix is a great example. You'd be hard pressed to find a player with a greater emotional connection to a school. That relationship went down in flames, and you could even suggest his personal stakes...his 'legacy' and all the expectations that were coupled with it...became more detrimental than beneficial.

Edited by WarrrEagleHey
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WarrrEagleHey said:

I feel like this is why I don't agree with your original statement. Hundreds of players filter in and out of a college athletics program over the years. I watch because I love my school and want us to win... If a player helps that happen, I'm glad he's here. What originally brought him here doesn't lessen the game for me. Bo Nix is a great example. You'd be hard pressed to find a player with a greater emotional connection to a school. That relationship went down in flames, and you could even suggest his personal stakes...his 'legacy' and all the expectations that were coupled with it...became more detrimental than beneficial.

Keyword there. I know you didn’t mean it literally, but I’ll use to illustrate the differences the new system has brought.

We are getting into territory now where guys are there for 6 months. That’s what Thorne will do. There is just utterly no connection to Auburn and no representation of the school with a bunch of guys who very plainly not interested in it at all.

Like you, I want to see AUBURN win. But it’s feeling less and less like I’m watching Auburn. It’s basically just a pro team with no affiliation. Might as well have a draft.

• Thanks 2

I have mixed emotions about the TP. On one hand it's a good thing because it allows players who may not be able to get enough playing time at a school to transfer somewhere that they can see the field. On the other hand I think many are using it prematurely because of impatience etc. These kids only have a limited number of years to enjoy the college football experience, so for the most part I support the TP 

As for the NIL I'm dead set against it. I have no problem with a limited stipend, but here's a newsflash, college is a time when you are supposed to be pretty much broke. Young people have been in that situation during their college years for decades. Personally, I don't have my degree from Auburn because my parents business was failing at the time, and I would no longer take their money for school, and I couldn't afford it on my own. 

If you had told me at 19 that I could have free room and board, 100% tuition, training rooms, stipend money, a nutritionist, and three squares a day, all I had to do was play football?

My God, where do I sign up?

So, I'll watch Auburn football because I love the school, and enjoy being entertained for a few hours on Saturday, but believe me the NIL collective will not get a dime of my little stash. Just my $.02

• Like 1

If we were actually winning people would be a lot more ok with it. But since we are in the toilet it's sullied people's view of the current climate. 

Trust me, it'll be fun again when we start winning

• Like 1

Well, people better hold their pants because it will only get worse particularly now there is mega conference and expanded playoffs. 

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

First off, yes JHS would. We have a fanbase like Tennessee or Nebraska. They show up regardless.

Secondly, you still don’t understand the argument. The argument is that if college football AS A WHOLE was filled with walk-ons, people would still watch. That’s why player skill isn’t what is propelling its popularity.

People don’t go to CFB games primarily for the thrill of seeing elite athleticism. That’s for pro sports. People WILL buy tickets to see Lebron or Jordan or Brady or Manning pull off incredible feats.

But nobody went to Auburn-Florida in 2019 “because I have to see Bo Nix and Kyle Trask play!” Nobody went to the A&M game because they just couldn’t pass up the chance to watch Tank play. It really doesn’t matter who is wearing the AU - AS LONG as they’re wearing the AU.

The players are benefiting from and participating in something, they are not offering irreplaceable value to it.

Valid points here

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

I have mixed emotions about the TP. On one hand it's a good thing because it allows players who may not be able to get enough playing time at a school to transfer somewhere that they can see the field. On the other hand I think many are using it prematurely because of impatience etc. These kids only have a limited number of years to enjoy the college football experience, so for the most part I support the TP 

Well stated. The issue is how it came about. One year you can’t buy a guy a sandwich. The next year it’s the Wild West. The so called ‘adults in charge’ created a mess over many years and thought it was wise to create an irreversible mess overnight. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

As for the NIL I'm dead set against it. I have no problem with a limited stipend, but here's a newsflash, college is a time when you are supposed to be pretty much broke. Young people have been in that situation during their college years for decades. Personally, I don't have my degree from Auburn because my parents business was failing at the time, and I would no longer take their money for school, and I couldn't afford it on my own. 

If you had told me at 19 that I could have free room and board, 100% tuition, training rooms, stipend money, a nutritionist, and three squares a day, all I had to do was play football?

My God, where do I sign up?

So, I'll watch Auburn football because I love the school, and enjoy being entertained for a few hours on Saturday, but believe me the NIL collective will not get a dime of my little stash. Just my $.02

I wonder what the cost is of what u mentioned.  4 yrs free tuition, free room and board,  3 meals fit for a king everyday. Gotta be high 6 figures

20 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I wonder what the cost is of what u mentioned.  4 yrs free tuition, free room and board,  3 meals fit for a king everyday. Gotta be high 6 figures

Oh, I'm sure it is. When I was at Auburn I think tuition was around $350 - quarter. 

Used books from the used book store probably totaled about 450?

I was working full time as well at the rate of about $4.00/hr.

I knew a lot of guys who survived on spam sandwiches. 

Back then you could get a pretty good meal at Thornton's dining hall for about two fifty.

I had a girlfriend who was a cocktail waitress at one of the local watering holes. She would make more money waiting tables on Friday, and Saturday night than I would swinging a hammer all week. Course, my brassiere size was significantly smaller than hers.

😁

Edited by Eagle-1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I have no real beef with players making money. But I don’t like the current model. Personally, I think it should be like a union pension and players (at every school) get the same amount depending on how many years you play (like being vested).

Because like I said in the previous post, people showing up to Texas games back then wasn’t dependent on Kevin Durant. They were showing up to support their school. KD obviously generated MORE excitement, aiding the program, but he didn’t make or break it. That should at least be taken into account when discussing how much value individual players truly bring to college sports.

The Durant argument is dumb.   He only played one year and if not for the rule change, he wouldn’t even have played one.   Go back to being able to go straight to the NBA, NFL and so on if you want money.   A portion of the money that goes to each university from Tv revenue should be invested in the athletes along with their current scholarships.   
How anyone can be excited or love what college basketball has turned into is beyond me.   

36 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

The Durant argument is dumb.   He only played one year and if not for the rule change, he wouldn’t even have played one.   Go back to being able to go straight to the NBA, NFL and so on if you want money.   A portion of the money that goes to each university from Tv revenue should be invested in the athletes along with their current scholarships.   
How anyone can be excited or love what college basketball has turned into is beyond me.   

How is that a dumb argument? Lol. He said that exact thing. He dealt with it and advocated for players making as much money as possible prior to the NIL with his "dumb" narrative (GREAT JOB KD).  Now we got grown ass men like you crying over it. And you would be the first one trying to capitalize on money if you had even an ounce of the talent they had at this level. These arguments kill me. You are mad at another man for getting their money? Lol. Then you will be the first person at the game asking these dudes to sign autograph for you. Do you go to nursing students and ask them for autographs? Do you spend your time away from your family, obligations and friends speaking about the engineer students at Auburn? If you are so upset about it why are you wasting your time with auburn athletics or collegiate sports in general? "Oh because I have pride for my school." No because you are entertained by the freaking sport. Speaking of dumb, idiotic arguments , you really think they want to give the players a portion of the TV revenue? LMAO. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I don’t understand the notion of looking at the game from the sole perspective of what’s best for the players. It’s disingenuous to say college football revolves are the players. The NFL and NBA are leagues where many people show up for the name on the back of the jersey, CFB is based on the name on the front. The reality is CFB players are participating in something MUCH larger than them.

The narrative from some is that it’s virtually slave labor to give kids a full college scholarship for playing a game. That CFB is like the NFL, and without these kids’ elite skill level, college football venues would be empty on Saturdays.

Basically: talented kids power CFB and are what make it truly popular. Of course that isn’t the dynamic for anybody familiar with what college football really is. The actual dynamic is  that college affiliation powers CFB, and is AIDED by skilled players.

Fans show up and tune in to root for their school. No specific player or talent level is what draws fans to the stadium. It’s an affinity for the school and the idea that these kids are true representatives of our school.

Don’t believe me? Look at a football model where it’s purely about watching elite athletes play - the XFL and USFL. Every XFL or USFL team would manhandle 99% of college teams. It’s a higher level of play. But despite having better players, their stadiums aren’t packed and their brand isn’t a 100th of what CFB is. 

We need to stop acting like if it wasn’t for the 5 star players, that CFB would fold. Most CFB fans would still root for their school if every team was compromised or walk-ons.

Amen!

59 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Means NOTHING to a couple of guys on this thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Well, people better hold their pants because it will only get worse particularly now there is mega conference and expanded playoffs. 

Theres going to be more money floating theough the system for everyone. And a Supreme Court that agrees on nothing found common ground on blasting the old system where everyone was getting rich other than the people providing the labor. And schools are and have been spending millions of dollars to recruit these players because its a good investment. If the compensation gets too high, Im sure the market will correct itself.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

If we were actually winning people would be a lot more ok with it. But since we are in the toilet it's sullied people's view of the current climate. 

Trust me, it'll be fun again when we start winning

You can say that all you want but my consumption of CFB as a whole has dropped by 90%. I don’t watch *any* other games now besides AU, and I used to be a guy who would get up to watch Gameday every week.

If the disconnect grows deep enough to the point where I truly don’t feel like the players represent Auburn, I will have no reason to watch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Well stated. The issue is how it came about. One year you can’t buy a guy a sandwich. The next year it’s the Wild West. The so called ‘adults in charge’ created a mess over many years and thought it was wise to create an irreversible mess overnight. 

They went from “give the kids nothing” to “literally don’t refuse them anything”. I’ve always said I don’t think society’s best and brightest are involved in college athletics.

1 hour ago, CR said:

Theres going to be more money floating theough the system for everyone. And a Supreme Court that agrees on nothing found common ground on blasting the old system where everyone was getting rich other than the people providing the labor. And schools are and have been spending millions of dollars to recruit these players because its a good investment. If the compensation gets too high, Im sure the market will correct itself.

Okay but explain “everyone was getting rich”. Explain that part. Who? And how? WED just stated above that Georgia freaking Tech, a major athletics program, is in the red as an athletic department. In fact, the yearly reports say all that about a dozen colleges are in the red athletically. So who’s getting rich and how?

CFB isn’t like a publicly traded stock. Jimmy Rane doesn’t “invest” in the program and then make money off it.

Colleges use football money to prop up other sports (like gymnastics which makes nothing and costs a ton) and spend money internally on whatever need-be. Now maybe that spending is exorbitant at some places. We did, after all, just build a 90 freaking million dollar FOF. So if you want to constrict spending, no argument here.

But let’s get it straight, no singular person is “getting rich” off college football players.

The only argument for exploitation would be the TV networks. They make millions - but also PAY millions to the schools for broadcast rights. So idk. But y’all need to stop talking about it like the school president is taking half of the gate of the Iron Bowl or something.