We're lucky to have al.com's news team

AUDub

Can't say much for their sportswriters but their news reporting and commentary are racking up Pulitzers in an era when local news is in bad shape. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/08/business/media/archibald-ramsey-john-pulitzer-prize-alabama.html

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not a fan of how AL.com parent company gobbled up all the local news outlets in Alabama and started ending all the print editions of the local papers and moving everything online to a centralized location. 

AL does do good statewide investigative journalism, but I think their local reporting in individual cities like Huntsville, Birmingham, Montgomery, and Mobile has suffered and is not as good as when each city had their own individual news outlet. 

That said, yes, I do think Al.com does importan journalism work on Alabama and our state government as a whole. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Not a fan of how AL.com parent company gobbled up all the local news outlets in Alabama and started ending all the print editions of the local papers and moving everything online to a centralized location. 

Unfortunately that's the way things were going industry-wise. Internet has essentially ended print media. 

It's a damn shame. Used to love getting local sports pages and stuff while on vacation and catching up on the local minor league teams and stuff lol. 

3 hours ago, AUDub said:

Can't say much for their sportswriters but their news reporting and commentary are racking up Pulitzers in an era when local news is in bad shape. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/08/business/media/archibald-ramsey-john-pulitzer-prize-alabama.html

Unfortunately, Alabama gives them a lot to work with.

• Haha 1

Whitmire and his buddies, John and Roy, are pathetic. They masquerade as journalists, but really are just pot stirrers. No one with good sense reads their trash.

23 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Unfortunately, Alabama gives them a lot to work with.

However, as a political, social and religious conservative, I have to agree with you. Alabama is a backward state in so many ways. Politics is the 2nd most popular contact sport after football.

Edited by PUB78
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PUB78 said:

However, as a political, social and religious conservative, I have to agree with you. Alabama is a backward state in so many ways. Politics is the 2nd most popular contact sport after football.

Correlation or cause?

19 hours ago, homersapien said:

Correlation or cause?

I think both Homer.  Where did it begin? Was it after reconstruction, the 1901 Constitution or during the Wallace era?

7 hours ago, PUB78 said:

I think both Homer.  Where did it begin? Was it after reconstruction, the 1901 Constitution or during the Wallace era?

All three. The Evil Trifecta in Alabama Politics.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2023 at 1:17 PM, PUB78 said:

I was referring to political, social and religious conservatism

One could argue it was there from the beginning of statehood.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I was referring to political, social and religious conservatism

One could argue it was there from the beginning of statehood.

Oh. You are probably right on this.