Tony Bell

AUloggerhead

Link

Here's a guy who was highly touted coming out of HS and seemingly a lock for earning a starting position and then was brought back down to reality by the tough love shown by CTT & staff. The experience had to be humiliating for Bell, but I'm willing to bet it made him a better person and will prove to be a turning point in his career.

Bell, who played mostly on special teams and made nine tackles last season, could have started at strong safety by now, but his spring-time detour landed him farther down the depth chart at free safety. All the while, he lost time and a chance to learn the schemes of new defensive coordinator David Gibbs.

Bell says he has no hard feelings about that, though. He says he deserved it.

"They had me No. 1 at the beginning of the spring, but that was my fault I didn't keep it," he said. "That's all on me. They gave me the perfect chance. They put me at No. 1, but I wasn't out here to back it up."

Bell says his athletic talent wasn't enough when fall practice began.

"There's no doubt I was behind, but I think I've gotten past where I was in the spring and gotten a lot better," he said. "All the guys are helping me out, but I'm not where I need to be."

Tuberville says he doesn't doubt Bell's athleticism. "Mentally, he's just got a ways to go," the head coach said. "He's got to keep working at it."

Bell is committed to doing just that.

"I was down a little bit, but I can't let something like that stop me from what I'm going to do this fall."

I believe Mr. Bell has learned a valuable lesson. WDE to CTT & staff. :au::thumbsup:

They made me go to study hall and do work instead of practicing. That definitely helped me."

Note to all Momma's and Daddy's of HS Recruiots : Your sons won't get this type of commitment to you son's academic purpose at the University of Tennessee or at Florida State. Forewarned is forearmed .....

While the article says he wasn't academically ineligible yet, he might well have become so had the downward grade trend continued. Rather than worrying about where he is on the depth chart, he could be off the team. Sounds like he understands that now, thanks to CTT's tutorage.

Looking forward to seeing him having a great year on the field to justify CTT's faith in him!

Let's see... Recruit good kids and expect, no make that demand, that they do their best on and off the field. What a novel idea. :D

On a serious note, I could not be more proud of the young men that Coach Tuberville and staff have brought to the Plains. They are doing things the right way and it is paying off bigtime.

WAR :au: EAGLE ! ! !

Let's see... Recruit good kids and expect, no make that demand, that they do their best on and off the field. What a novel idea. :D

On a serious note, I could not be more proud of the young men that Coach Tuberville and staff have brought to the Plains. They are doing things the right way and it is paying off bigtime.

174704[/snapback]

Amen!

:au::homer:

174704[/snapback]

Amen!

:au::homer:

174728[/snapback]

The making of an Auburn man ... A CUT ABOVE!!!

WAR EAGLE!!!

Archived