• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blocton 'can't wait' to play for Auburn

Caleb Jones • AuburnSports

Staff

@CalebJ_Rivals

PIKE ROAD, Ala. — While most Pike Road football players are still getting ready for morning practice, Malik Blocton is already working.

The 6-foot-3 Auburn defensive end commit implemented a new part of training this season — running before his Wednesday and Thursday practices. It's helped him increase his speed and motor ability, leading to a monster senior season.

With playoffs on the horizon, Blocton finished the regular season with 76 tackles, 21 tackles for loss and 11 sacks. He feels like he'll have a shot to see the field early when he gets to Auburn.

"I feel like I can go in there and have a good chance of starting," Blocton said.

Pike Road finished the regular season as region champions, riding an eight-game win streak into the playoff, with the latest win over Booker T. Washington and fellow commit Joseph Phillips.

"Joe’s a really good player, he’s a really good opponent," Blocton said of Phillips. "I’m glad I got to share the field with him."

The next time the two share the field, they'll be in the same uniform and on the same defense. It's something Blocton is looking forward to, and has confidence that the two are gonna mesh well.

"We can fit really good if you put me and him on opposite sides of the field," Blocton said. "I mean they’re not gonna have anywhere to run. Either they’re gonna run at me or they’re gonna run at him."

When it comes to Ron Roberts' defense at Auburn, Blocton's already been impressed with what he's seen.

"It’s a really good defense," Blocton said. "Auburn’s defense is really good. They’re the No. 1 team in the red zone in the SEC. That’s a really big accomplishment playing in the hardest conference in the country. I feel like I fit really good into his scheme and I can’t wait to play for him."

Blocton's seen one familiar face dominating in Roberts' defense this season — his older brother Marcus Harris.

"It’s been really great," Blocton said. "Me and him used to share a room together, so just to see him on the big stage doing big things, it’s really inspiring to me."

Meanwhile, the relationship with defensive line coach Jeremy Garrett continues to grow. Garrett offered Blocton on the spot while he was at Liberty, after meeting him at a Georgia camp several years ago. Once Garrett made the move to Auburn, he picked up the phone.

"I was the first guy in the 2024 class he talked to," Blocton said. "It really means a lot. The relationship hasn’t slowed down since."

Pike Road will host Homewood in the first round of the playoffs this Friday.

• Like 3

Dude is gonna be a problem for opposing o-lines to deal with for Auburn.  I can't wait!  He us explosive and fast. Not to mention he plays with a nasty streak.  Something we have been missing a bit on d-line for a while. Him paired  with TJ Lindsey and followed by Jourdin Crawford and Malik Autry the next year is going to be fantastic. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Blocktons been in the backfield for Benjamin Russell the entire 2nd half. Hes  winded but BR has been passing a ton in this game.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I hate when reporters spring questions on kids.  Prompt them before the camera is rolling, so they don't have the deer in the head light stammer. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I hate when reporters spring questions on kids.  Prompt them before the camera is rolling, so they don't have the deer in the head light stammer. 

I actually thought he handled it well..

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I actually thought he handled it well..

He did. I just hate when reporters do that to kids

Blocton ready for next step

Caleb Jones • AuburnSports

There may not be a recruit out there that's visited Auburn more than Malik Blocton over the last two seasons.

He's been to just about every home game, seen spring practices and summer workouts. However, his official visit over Iron Bowl weekend was over the top for the Auburn defensive end commit.

"I mean, this is probably like one of the best weekends of my life," Blocton said. "This has been a really good weekend coming off of a good win Friday night. Then, coming up here and being treated with such hospitality, it has been a great weekend."

Malik Blocton is ready to sign with Auburn and get to work as an early enrollee. (Caleb Jones/Rivals.com)

Blocton's spent a lot of weekends in Jordan Hare Stadium. Not only for his recruitment, but to see his older brother Marcus Harris play defensive line for the Tigers. Before the game against Alabama, Harris was recognized for Senior Day and Blocton was right there with him.

"It was really good being out there on the field with him," Blocton said. "Then, seeing him have a big time clutch sack that the team needed. It just shows that anything is possible."

However, throughout all the Auburn games that Blocton's seen, none of them compared to the one Saturday evening.

"Yes, it was, it was a lot different," Blocton said. "Just everybody being out, the student section, the whole atmosphere was electric. I just can't wait to play in something like that. It was No. 1 for sure."

Blocton was in the recruiting section for the game, standing shoulder to shoulder with several of his fellow commits.

"We all understand the magnitude of the game and the tradition behind the game," Blocton said. "We are just kids right now, but next year that's not going to matter. We all have to come in here and play. We are all going to have to be a factor in that game next year."

The 6-foot-3 defensive end is making the most of his senior season at Pike Road, as the Patriots are still dancing in the 6A State Playoffs. He's totaled 109 tackles, 30 tackles for loss and 14 sacks this year.

He's hoping to bring that same output to Auburn as an early enrollee.

"I'm coming in a couple of weeks and y'all will get everything I've got for the next three years, I promise," Blocton said.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 11/25/2023 at 5:08 AM, bigbird said:

He is gonna be really good, IMO

He already looks pretty good. After getting his feet wet at the college level I would pity the fool  who gets in his way.

On 12/8/2023 at 4:45 PM, alabastertiger said:

It just seems with a name like Blocton that he should be an OL.

I translate his name to "Can't Blockhim".

24 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

12169561.png

Not sure what he is signing. High school recruits can't sign their NLIs til December 20th.

• Facepalm 1