Is it a mistake to

not teach the younger generations simple, practical things (disclaimer, I am 55).   I was filling my vehicle with gas today beside a young man with a motorcycle.  It didn't take him long to fill up, and I noticed him pushing his motorcycle.   By the time I got filled up he was several hundred yards away pushing and getting on and off his bike.    I jogged over to him (in flipping flip flops that our puppy has mostly chewed to pieces) and asked if he needed a push start and he said "yes sir" (this model did not have kick start).    I get him going, flips flops and all, and tell him to pop the clutch and....... nothing happens.   I said "you do have it in first gear don't you."   He replied "no, sir, it's in neutral."    I'm guessing less than 5% of cars these days have a straight shift and standard clutch, but all motorcycles do.....     What other practical things should we be sure to make sure the younger generations know --- I'm hoping for zero snarkiness......

• Haha 4

My wife has an internship program with UCF usually 3 or 4 students a year will work a month at her location. These are students in their senior yr. male and female healthcare majors who must complete the internship to grad.. Students have all been prep before starting the internship. These are just a few 

* how/where to put a stamp on an envelope

* how/where to put a return address on an envelope

* how to fax yes dentist still use fax machines

* how to remove staples from papers 

* One of the hardest is getting them to show up on time or at least calling in to let her know they will be late.

* Dressing appropriately is a big one she has sent both male and female home to change

* Surprisingly their computer skills are not that great

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

57 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

not teach the younger generations simple, practical things (disclaimer, I am 55).   I was filling my vehicle with gas today beside a young man with a motorcycle.  It didn't take him long to fill up, and I noticed him pushing his motorcycle.   By the time I got filled up he was several hundred yards away pushing and getting on and off his bike.    I jogged over to him (in flipping flip flops that our puppy has mostly chewed to pieces) and asked if he needed a push start and he said "yes sir" (this model did not have kick start).    I get him going, flips flops and all, and tell him to pop the clutch and....... nothing happens.   I said "you do have it in first gear don't you."   He replied "no, sir, it's in neutral."    I'm guessing less than 5% of cars these days have a straight shift and standard clutch, but all motorcycles do.....     What other practical things should we be sure to make sure the younger generations know --- I'm hoping for zero snarkiness......

If the bike didn't have a kick-start to crank, then why didn't he use the push-button start?  Ok, enough about him.  What about you driving a car in sad-shape flip flops?  Safety hazard, my 55-year-old dude -- get yourself some proper shoes(!)  

11 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

If the bike didn't have a kick-start to crank, then why didn't he use the push-button start?  Ok, enough about him.  What about you driving a car in sad-shape flip flops?  Safety hazard, my 55-year-old dude -- get yourself some proper shoes(!)  

Dude to make matters worse, I was driving a 488 Spider....    More important, the battery was dead!!!!

52 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Logger, I wish you could see my flip flops.    We rescued this sweet little girl 4 weeks ago.   She looks like a mix between a coyote and a wolf but she is tiny=37 lbs.   She has the best kisses.  So far she has chewed up my flip flops, the cord to my outdoor fryer, my son's computer cord, my computer cord, a leash...   But she has the best kisses....   I also wish you could see me pushing that dad gum motorcycle....

• Haha 3

Why did I know Golf would appreciate this....   I really wish you all could all met "KAI."    That is short for coyote.   She is so precious and naughty.   

• Like 2

Agree with golf re: addressing envelopes. A lot of my students don't have the first clue about that.

I used to teach check writing back in the day, but haven't done that in a while.

Untangling the wadge of clothes in the washing machine before you put them in the dryer. I would see people just throw the clump in the dryer instead of taking it apart, and then wonder why the clothes on the inside were still wet.

• Like 2

How to inflate car tires and use jumper cables to start a car with a dead battery. They haven’t the first clue.  

• Like 6

10 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

Untangling the wadge of clothes in the washing machine before you put them in the dryer. I would see people just throw the clump in the dryer instead of taking it apart, and then wonder why the clothes on the inside were still wet.

That's just funny as hell for some reason to me.

16 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

How to inflate car tires and use jumper cables to start a car with a dead battery. They haven’t the first clue.  

Some adults don’t have a clue either:

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

11 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Some adults don’t have a clue either:

Someone driving a Tesla doesn't know the difference between a propane tank and an air tank.    Go figure.

• Haha 3

The Good Samaritan:   What are you doing?

The guy: I don't know (he is being 100% honest)

The lady: What are you doing (when asked a question and you are befuddled, just repeat the question back)

The Good Samaritan:  What are you doing with that.

The lady: trying to figure out how to put gas in the car (Freudian slip -- ma'am your car is an EV), I mean in the tire....

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

The Good Samaritan:   What are you doing?

The guy: I don't know (he is being 100% honest)

The lady: What are you doing (when asked a question and you are befuddled, just repeat the question back)

The Good Samaritan:  What are you doing with that.

The lady: trying to figure out how to put gas in the car (Freudian slip -- ma'am your car is an EV), I mean in the tire....

Trying to be fair here:  the lady is correct about the tire needing to be filled with a gas, just not the one chosen.   I couldn't make out the which state issued the license plate.  Is it Texas?  Without seeing the video, and if someone had told me about it, then my first guess would have been Florida.  

4 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Trying to be fair here:  the lady is correct about the tire needing to be filled with a gas, just not the one chosen.   I couldn't make out the which state issued the license plate.  Is it Texas?  Without seeing the video, and if someone had told me about it, then my first guess would have been Florida.  

I'm pretty sure it's a California tag.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I took a screen shot of the vehicle and when enlarged,  you can see the first letter is a "C".  Which made me think California.   And it looks like a California tag.  

Screenshot_20230715_213347_YouTube.jpg

• Like 1