Zep Jasper to debut for 'War Ready' in TBT

aubiefifty

yahoo.com

'Auburn for life': Former AU guard Zep Jasper ready to debut for 'War Ready' in TBT

Richard Silva, Montgomery Advertiser
5–6 minutes

AUBURN — On an island versus the future SEC Player of the Year, former Auburn basketball guard Zep Jasper faced an eight-inch height disadvantage.

Brandon Miller, the eventual No. 2 overall pick in the 2023 NBA Draft, dribbled the ball left in an attempt to go down the baseline. Jasper read the play perfectly, using his feet to stay in front of the 6-foot-9 Miller and picking his pocket to knock the ball out of bounds, sending an already lively crowd at Neville Arena into a frenzy as he wagged his finger like a 6-1 Dikembe Mutombo.

That exquisite perimeter defense was what Jasper was known for during his two-year stint on the Plains, and it's what he hopes to bring to team "War Ready" in The Basketball Tournament later this month, as the squad made up of a number of former Auburn standouts looks to make a deep run in the tournament.

AUBURN FOOTBALL: 'Aligned as we could ever be': Hugh Freeze ready for reset

LOOKING AHEAD: Experimenting with Auburn basketball's roster. What are some lineups we could see?

It'll be Jasper's debut appearance with War Ready, a team created a handful of years ago to compete in TBT, a 64-team summer basketball tournament that features a payout of $1 million to its winner. It's high-stakes, winner-take-all basketball that began in 2014 and has grown since.

War Ready's first task is handling The Ville, a team made up of players with connections to Louisville, on Tuesday (6 p.m. CT, ESPN+). To win it all, War Ready would have to pick up six straight victories.

"The goal is to win, that’s the biggest thing," Jasper told the Montgomery Advertiser earlier this week. "I probably have a big task with Russ Smith or someone or Peyton Siva or someone like that. Those guys can score in all types of ways. It’ll be pretty interesting guarding those guys."

Jasper, who said representatives from War Ready reached out to him a couple weeks after Auburn's season ended against Houston in the second round of the NCAA Tournament in March, had some familiarity with the team. He recalls watching it go up against ETSU's alumni team a couple years ago.

"Malik Dunbar, he’s actually from North Augusta, (South Carolina), and he played with them," Jasper said. "That was one of the main reasons I watched them on TV two years ago.”

Dunbar and War Ready ultimately fell to ETSU's squad, nicknamed the "Bucketneers." But War Ready was on Jasper's radar, and two years later he's now teaming up with Dunbar and other players with Auburn ties like Danjel Purifoy, TJ Dunans and Horace Spencer III, among others.

Jasper, a native of Augusta, Georgia, grew up a few miles from Dunbar. The duo has known each other since they were kids, before either decided to play with the Tigers under coach Bruce Pearl.

"It’s always good to have somebody that you know you can play with," Jasper said. "Throw some lobs to and just be pests on defense out there. I think it’ll be a pretty fun experience, especially (with) Louisville being a veteran team.”

Joining the squad wasn't exactly smooth sailing for Jasper, though. Attempting to add a player after the deadline for registration passed, War Ready needed to pony up $1,500 to get him on the team. The organization took to Twitter, calling on Auburn fans to donate enough money to pay the late fee.

The hiccup presented Auburn fans with an opportunity to show their love for Jasper, as the funds were raised — and them some — within three days.

All that did was bolster something Jasper already believed.

“Auburn has the best fans in the world," Jasper said. "The Auburn love is just like a family, they’re always going to love you whether you’re playing for them or not. Even when you graduate, you’re always going to be stamped. It’s Auburn for life. Best fans in college basketball.

“When we were No. 1 in the country, the Auburn family really showed out and showed up to every single game on that (19)-game winning streak, which was history. Without Auburn fans, we wouldn’t have did it. We wouldn’t have been No. 1 in the country. We wouldn’t have won (19) games in a row. That’s when I really felt (the love). Just being No. 1, having fun and also just greeting the fans each and every day.”

Richard Silva is the Auburn athletics beat writer for the Montgomery Advertiser. He can be reached via email at rsilva@gannett.com or on Twitter @rich_silva18.

This article originally appeared on Montgomery Advertiser: Former Auburn basketball guard Zep Jasper ready to play for 'War Ready'

Congrats to Jasper on getting to play in the tourney. He will be a good PG for the team. Wish they could get more of the fringe NBA guys to sign on like Harper or Coop. Might just make the team competitive in one of these.....though i think that did perform better in the last one 

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Zep Jasper to debut for 'War Ready' in TBT

War Ready lost 67-91 last night to The Ville which I think is made up of a lot of Louisville alums. 

15 minutes ago, gravejd said:

War Ready lost 67-91 last night to The Ville which I think is made up of a lot of Louisville alums. 

It is, but Louisville alums are a lot better than current Louisville. They played in Freedom Hall and it was packed, raucous.  War Ready needs shooters.  I was excited when Bryce was going to play, but then he backed out.  I don't think this team has ever made it out of the first round. But they are full of the same type of slasher player it seems.  Oh my they missed a bunch of shots badly too.

Oh and Jasper didn't start nor really run much point.  We were within 7-9 points despite 9 turnovers in the negative in the first half, but the crowd got pumped after some white dude absolutely postered Malik Dunbar on a pick and roll and drew the foul.  It was over then LOL. Could not stop the PNR.  Their point was really good. I think a Pitino guy. 

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

Our TBT teams have been an absolute disaster over the years. Definitely doesn't sound like a promising start.

With how dependent this team seems on fan donations, I can’t imagine this experiment lasts too much longer, but it’s been a fun time 

I don’t think Auburn has the same depth of semi-washed, yet still talented ex-players to compete against some of these squads. All of our dudes that are really worthwhile are still too young to completely buy-in to this (or are in some league)  

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 12:58 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

With how dependent this team seems on fan donations, I can’t imagine this experiment lasts too much longer, but it’s been a fun time 

I don’t think Auburn has the same depth of semi-washed, yet still talented ex-players to compete against some of these squads. All of our dudes that are really worthwhile are still too young to completely buy-in to this (or are in some league)  

Good point! It seems you don't see many of the current powerhouses doing well in TBT. Their players who have recently completed their eligibility are usually in professional leagues. I would take having our guys playing in the G League or NBA over some TBT championship any day!

• Like 2