Thought on the big 3 news outlets

auburnatl1

It’s becoming interesting how the 3  major US news outlets  are evolving.  I generally find their bias less in distortion and slant,  and more in what stories they fixate on and prioritize, and what stories to completely ignore.

Fox is almost solely domestic news and generally looks for negative stories that highlight their narrative.  Trans, crime, immigration, hunter, religious liberty, California is evil, Biden gaffes ect.  Their  web page style feels the most hokey.

MSNBC is obviously the other political extreme  and even more limited in what they focus on. Totally domestic , hit piece-oriented as well.  Trump litigation, Desantis and culture war, SCOTUS is bad, and that’s literally about it.  Their webpage’s written content is highly limited and stuffed with opinion pieces.

CNN stated a year ago they were abandoning their liberal slant and returning to pure news (msnbc had out liberal’d them in ratings). And though it is still left oriented, their effort to be more unbiased is evident. They by far have the most international news and have the largest “buffet” of topics - the most reach, resources, and scale.  Professional useful web page and least biased story headline sequence.

Yes, Im finding myself more and more getting my news from cnn’s webpage (I avoid all tv news -stuffed with opinion) and then lightly look at other outlets.  Obviously they’re still left oriented but it’s manageable  and I appreciate they’re trying to find the middle. My biggest issue with fox and MSNBC is less their bias and more they don’t cover 75% of what the hells actually going on.   Hawaii could be invaded tomorrow and fox or msnbc wouldn’t cover it (or know about it) unless there were trans soldiers or stolen documents.

Just my 2 cents and obviously there are other news content providers to consider.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1

Despite being liberal I pay a lot more attention to Fox News than I do CNN or MSNBC primarily because Fox IS the premier Conservative/Right wing News source in America and is usually pretty on par with what the prevailing or popular Conservative thought and opinion on things are.  

I get my news and information from other sources and so have no need for CNN or MSNBC (website or tv), who I view as more ratings focused than information focused, though I'll still cite their news articles occasionally for specific topics if they are the most convenient source. 

Politico is the best source for investigative political issues. Reuters covers International a lot better than our domestic channels. So does BBC. Bloomberg is heavy on the business side and more critical of U.S. social issues. CNBC tends right on economics and has some decent insights. Atlantic, Salon, and Slate tend to take on bigger social issues which right wingers don't like. Snopes will destroy any misinformation BS from the right or the left. Want truth. Snopes. Fox? Well, Fox is extremist right.

I visit them all. I make my own assessments. I make my own decisions. I don't lick the toes of anyone.

Edited by AURex

There is no political "left" in this country.  That fact represents a serious imbalance in power.  It will continue to produce more inequality and, an increasingly unstable society.

Edited by icanthearyou

Online, I generally look at CNN, WaPo, Reuters first because they're less sensationalist.  When I want to see the more right-centric take, I hit up Fox News (junkiest looking site of them all.  Just terrible) and Real Clear Politics.  A little more left I go NY Times or NBCNews.

At home on TV, if something big is happening, I check CNN first because they have the most boots on the ground.  But I flip over to Fox or MSNBC as well to see whose got the most up to date info.

15 hours ago, AURex said:

Politico is the best source for investigative political issues.

Stopped reading right there. Politico is where the story about HB Laptop being disinformation got started. The letter NEVER said that. Politico created the lie and allowed it to be forwarded and retweeted. They still to this day have not apologized for the lie and still have it up on their website.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/19/hunter-biden-story-russian-disinfo-430276

If you listen to politico, you are not seriously engaged in truth.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

3 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

There is no political "left" in this country.  That fact represents a serious imbalance in power.  It will continue to produce more inequality and, an increasingly unstable society.

I’m going to regret this but I’ll bite.  I promise I get that the powerful have a louder structural voice than the working class. But to say there is no left is just being silly and stretching to be provocative. Ie Bernie and AOC are leftist - maybe not pure Marxist’s, but they’re getting real warm and msnbc worships them. How about tyt.com? “Left” enough? No advertising and grass roots based. Again, instead of simply face palming , nebulously criticizing , and predicting end of times - give at least 1 solution.

Edited by auburnatl1

12 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I’m going to regret this but I’ll bite.  I promise I get that the powerful have a louder structural voice than the working class. But to say there is no left is just being silly and stretching to be provocative. Ie Bernie and AIC are leftist - maybe not pure Marxist’s, but they’re getting real warm and msnbc worships them. How about tyt.com? “Left” enough? No advertising and grass roots based. Again, instead of simply face palming , nebulously criticizing , and predicting end of times - give at least 1 solution.

Thank you.

On 7/28/2023 at 11:32 AM, auburnatl1 said:

It’s becoming interesting how the 3  major US news outlets  are evolving.  I generally find their bias less in distortion and slant,  and more in what stories they fixate on and prioritize, and what stories to completely ignore.

Fox is almost solely domestic news and generally looks for negative stories that highlight their narrative.  Trans, crime, immigration, hunter, religious liberty, California is evil, Biden gaffes ect.  Their  web page style feels the most hokey.

MSNBC is obviously the other political extreme  and even more limited in what they focus on. Totally domestic , hit piece-oriented as well.  Trump litigation, Desantis and culture war, SCOTUS is bad, and that’s literally about it.  Their webpage’s written content is highly limited and stuffed with opinion pieces.

CNN stated a year ago they were abandoning their liberal slant and returning to pure news (msnbc had out liberal’d them in ratings). And though it is still left oriented, their effort to be more unbiased is evident. They by far have the most international news and have the largest “buffet” of topics - the most reach, resources, and scale.  Professional useful web page and least biased story headline sequence.

Yes, Im finding myself more and more getting my news from cnn’s webpage (I avoid all tv news -stuffed with opinion) and then lightly look at other outlets.  Obviously they’re still left oriented but it’s manageable  and I appreciate they’re trying to find the middle. My biggest issue with fox and MSNBC is less their bias and more they don’t cover 75% of what the hells actually going on.   Hawaii could be invaded tomorrow and fox or msnbc wouldn’t cover it (or know about it) unless there were trans soldiers or stolen documents.

Just my 2 cents and obviously there are other news content providers to consider.

Good analysis. I started watching NewsNation a few months ago and love them. For now they are what Fox started as in the 1990s before they broke bad. They report what happened, then move on. They don’t have 5 or 6 hosts in a row come on to tell me what to think about what happened. They aren’t an arm of either political party. Yet anyways. I hold out hope for them and hope they don’t get corrupted. 

For print/digital I prefer BBC and Reuters. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everything they do is motivated by $$$ not actually doing journalism.

After I get home each weeknight I will watch NBC Nightly News or ABC Nightly News.  They seem to be right in the middle, which I appreciate as an independent.  

On 8/2/2023 at 8:59 PM, abw0004 said:

After I get home each weeknight I will watch NBC Nightly News or ABC Nightly News.  They seem to be right in the middle, which I appreciate as an independent.  

Lester Holt used to be my guy, but after what even his friends called "The Biden Infomercial" I no longer watch him. It was a sad sad day for me.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/06/biden-nationally-televised-hourlong-infomercial-426754

https://www.foxnews.com/media/nbc-town-hall-panned-as-biden-infomercial-the-undecided-voters-didnt-seem-undecided

https://nypost.com/2020/10/06/joe-bidens-msnbc-town-hall-panned-as-infomercial-for-nominee/

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

I would have to disagree with that.  All of those new outlets your cited above are very right leaning, so I don't count them as very credible if they are biased.  The way they view it, if you aren't railing on the left, you are wrong.  And as an independent, I don't appreciate that, just like I didn't appreciate CNN or MSNBC.

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I would have to disagree with that.  All of those new outlets your cited above are very right leaning, so I don't count them as very credible if they are biased.  The way they view it, if you aren't railing on the left, you are wrong.  And as an independent, I don't appreciate that, just like I didn't appreciate CNN or MSNBC.

RCP has news articles from both sides everyday. Don’t how that could be slanted.