2023 Fall Camp Thread

toddc

9 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Maybe so. I've apparently missed some of those details. I've only seen the articles that have Robby as really inconsistent. If Holden is behind him based on that then that's bad news for the QB room. 

From what I’m seeing, it’s not that Holden is underperforming. It’s that Ashford has really stepped up his game. Phillip Montgomery has apparently fixed a lot of Ashford’s mechanics that were making him throw so inconsistently last year. From what a lot of the Auburn beat reporters are saying, the QBs are actually looking pretty good. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

From what I’m seeing, it’s not that Holden is underperforming. It’s that Ashford has really stepped up his game. Phillip Montgomery has apparently fixed a lot of Ashford’s mechanics that were making him throw so inconsistently last year. From what a lot of the Auburn beat reporters are saying, the QBs are actually looking pretty good. 

If this staff could improve Ashford’s mechanics, imagine what they will be able to do with a QB like Walker. Records will be broken.

• Thanks 2

Auburn offensive tackle Garner Langlo no longer with team

Langlo had yet to appear in a game at Auburn through two seasons

Nathan King7 mins

Auburn offensive tackle Garner Langlo is no longer with the program as the Tigers traverse their third week of preseason practices, a source close to the situation informed Auburn Undercover on Tuesday night.

A redshirt sophomore from Ocala, Florida, Langlo had yet to appear in a game at Auburn through two seasons. He had been repping as the second-team left tackle in the early stages of Auburn's current preseason camp.

There is now only one player left on the roster from Auburn's 2021 recruiting class: running back Jarquez Hunter.

A former 3-star prospect, Langlo was on his third offensive line coach at Auburn, after being recruited by Jack Bicknell, coached by Will Friend the past two years, and this offseason with Jake Thornton.

In Langlo's absence at practice, Tulsa transfer Jaden Muskrat has been primarily working as the second-team left tackle.

Edited by Paladin
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, LPTiger said:

The Qb position is just different.  When I was in private practice, I had a partner who was as smart as anyone I have ever known including the top Wall Street lawyers.  He finished top of his class at the University of Chicago Law School which was in the top 8 then and now and clerked for the Chief Judge of the 5Th Circuit which is a big deal.  His briefs were so clear and eloquent it would shock you.   And, he could crank them out in no time.  In front of judges and juries he was just as eloquent and persuading.   But within our firm he just rubbed people the wrong way.  One year when we had decided to cut his comp for the third time in 5 years, I was assigned to explain the comp decision to him.   I told him "Bro you do all the hard things really, really well, amazingly well, as well as anybody in the firm, but its the little things, the easy things where you are not excelling."  He listened intently and said "The things you find to be easy, are the things I find to be most difficult."   This is my view of Robbie.   He has all the talent in the world.   The ball comes out of his hand with more velocity than any of or other QBs.  His leg talent is far better than any of our other QBs.   But, I think he just hasn't figured YET out how to make his teammates follow him.      

Along with his inconsistency, his turnovers are still a major concern for me. And we will not know if he is improved in that area until it's a live game situation...the fumbles and INTs. That's why I'm a strong advocate for Payton or Holden. Granted Holden is a major unknown but I just love the thought of having a QB that can accurately pass the ball. 

I know many get enamored with QBs that are a running threat (because 2 led us to a championship doing so) but I think in modern-day football offenses, QBs have to show they can hit passes when needed. A QB that can move around a little but is accurate. I just don't have a lot of faith at this point in Robby when it's 3rd down and we're in a passing situation. But I'll certainly trust Hugh if that's who he goes with. Because I know he'll have no issue putting in the next guy if his initial evaluation of the starter chosen isn't progressing. 

• Like 2

• Love 1

Has Auburn football narrowed down its QB competition? Observations from preseason practice

AUBURN — Coach Hugh Freeze wasn't ready to give a straight answer about Auburn football's quarterback competition after the first scrimmage of the preseason Saturday.

Freeze, who previously noted he wanted the QB race to be trimmed down from three contenders to two after the first 10 days of fall camp, had to go "watch the film" before saying anything definitive about a quarterback officially being ruled out of the running.

He still hasn't commented on the battle, and he won't have an opportunity to do so until he meets with reporters Thursday. But at practice Tuesday, it appeared incumbent starter Robby Ashford and Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne were the top two options. Thorne went through a drill with the first-team offensive line early in the media viewing period. Ashford went with the 2s and Geriner with the 3s.

In previous practices, all three QBs often saw action with the first and second groups. Geriner didn't get on the field Tuesday until the third unit came out.

STEPPING UP:Auburn football's Damari Alston leans on leadership lessons from Cadillac Williams, Tank Bigsby

IN HE MIDDLE:Auburn football looking for someone to pull away from pack in 'linebacker-driven defense'

In another drill later in practice — a session focused on blitz pickup — Ashford and Thorne split reps with the first group. Neither threw the ball during the drill, but they went through the motions while the offensive line, tight ends and running backs worked on identifying and stymying the incoming blitzes.

On the opposite side of the field was Geriner doing the same drill, but with the second-team offensive line in front of him.

The media only watched 30 minutes of practice. Geriner may have seen increased reps later on, but Ashford and Thorne looked like the main two QBs with reporters present.

Battle at LG continues

Jeremiah Wright and Tate Johnson continue to battle for the role of starting left guard. Wright was with the first group Tuesday, sandwiched between Dillon Wade at left tackle and Avery Jones at center. Kam Stutts was at right guard and Gunner Britton was at right tackle.

The second offensive line, from left to right, was Jaden Muskrat, Johnson, Connor Lew, Jalil Irvin and Izavion Miller

“I think you need four or five (guards), so I don’t give a rat’s tail who’s first (or) second team," Freeze said Saturday. "I don’t really care. We need all of them. ... We’re rotating them all in there. And Stutts, of course, is one of the leaders of the team. We’re going to need them all before it’s over.”

Defensive units

There were two defenses during the blitz pickup portion of practice, with the first group potentially giving some hints about who could be in line to start.

First group (second group)

Jack: Jalen McLeod (Brenton Williams)

DL: Marcus Harris (Lawrence Johnson)

DL: Jayson Jones (Justin Rogers)

DE: Mosiah Nasili-Kite (Elijah McAllister)

LB: Eugene Asante (Jake Levant)

LB: Larry Nixon III (Cam Riley)

Nickel: Keionte Scott (Caleb Wooden)

CB: DJ James (Champ Anthony)

CB: Nehemiah Pritchett (Kayin Lee)

S: Zion Puckett (Griffin Speaks)

S: Jaylin Simpson (Donovan Kaufman)

D-line packages

Prior to the blitz pickup portion of practice, the defensive line was working as a group off to the side. There were two sets of players primarily participating.

Justin Rogers and Lawrence Johnson were in the middle for one group, with Sings and Vanderbilt transfer Elijah McAllister on the edges. Keldric Faulk subbed in for Sings at one point.

The other group consisted of Hayden Brice, Quientrail Jamison-Travis, Stephen Johnson and Joe Frazier Jr.

Austin Keys in a non-contact jersey

Freeze updated the statuses of a few players after the scrimmage Saturday; most notably, he said transfer linebacker Austin Keys was dealing with a shoulder injury. Keys was seen Tuesday wearing a yellow non-contact jersey. Junior receiver Malcolm Johnson Jr. (shoulder) and Wesley Steiner (hamstring) were, too.

Receivers Camden Brown, Ja'Varrius Johnson and Koy Moore were not in yellow jerseys.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, toddc said:

Freeze, who previously noted he wanted the QB race to be trimmed down from three contenders to two after the first 10 days of fall camp, had to go "watch the film" before saying anything definitive about a quarterback officially being ruled out of the running.

He still hasn't commented on the battle, and he won't have an opportunity to do so until he meets with reporters Thursday. But at practice Tuesday, it appeared incumbent starter Robby Ashford and Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne were the top two options. Thorne went through a drill with the first-team offensive line early in the media viewing period. Ashford went with the 2s and Geriner with the 3s.

In previous practices, all three QBs often saw action with the first and second groups. Geriner didn't get on the field Tuesday until the third unit came out.

I'm hoping that the two running with the first and second teams were there because Freeze was trying to decide which would be the main backup for Geriner. :) I have no data to support hoping Geriner wins the QB competition, I just think he has the highest ceiling of the three.

• Like 4

Stutts having ‘great camp’

Bryan Matthews • AuburnSports Senior Editor

@BMattAU

AUBURN | Going into his sixth year at Auburn, Kam Stutts is playing under his third head coach, sixth offensive coordinator and fourth offensive line coach.

On top of that, the Tigers’ new staff added five offensive linemen from the transfer portal and signed another five in the 2023 class including a junior college early enrollee.

Still, Stutts never wavered and opted to return to Auburn and fight for a starting position.

Stutts is making a strong push to be Auburn's starting right guard. (Austin Perryman/Auburn athletics)

That decision appears to be paying off in a big way. He’s been one of AU’s top performers during fall camp and is on track to be a starter for the season opener against UMass Sept. 2.

“Stutts means a lot to me,” said offensive line coach Jake Thornton. “And in today’s world where it’s so easy to leave and go other places, he stuck it out. He’s been through good and bad here. And in our room, man, there’s not a bigger presence for what it means to be an Auburn offensive lineman.

“Every day when he gets in there, he’s the first one in, last one to leave, taking care of his body. The trials that he’s been through, the injuries, the coaching changes and trying to find his way, for him to stick it out and still be here, that alone means the world to me as a coach and to the rest of those guys. And it’s setting a great example to the younger players.”

Stutts, who started eight games at both left and right guard last year, has been competing against Jaden Muskrat, a Tulsa transfer, and Jalil Irvin, a fellow sixth-year senior, at right guard this fall.

“I think Stutts has had a great camp,” said Thornton. “Just like in spring, I think he’s done a really good job stepping in there, you know, a big dude — 340 pounds. He’s experienced, he’s smart, his football IQ is really high.”

Stutts and Irvin both came in with the 2018 class, which included former AU standouts such as Roger McCreary, Smoke Monday, Jamien Sherwood, Zakoby McClain and Seth Williams.

“We talk about it all the time, man, how much we've been through, and all the coaches and different things we've been through,” said Stutts. “But we just tried to stay the course and do the right things, and hopefully, it ends in a positive way.”

Auburn will take off Wednesday for the first day of classes and hold its 11th practice of fall drills Thursday afternoon.

• Like 1

Expanded role expected for Fairweather and Auburn tight ends

Auburn football could see more use from its tight ends this season.

Jason Caldwell4 hrs

AUBURN, Alabama—While adding several talented wide receivers to the offense is expected to add some firepower for Auburn’s passing game, one of the most important pieces for Hugh Freeze and company came at another position when Florida International tight end transfer Rivaldo Fairweather joined the program in January.

A former basketball player turned playmaker as a receiver at the tight end position, the 6-5, 245 Fairweather caught 54 passes for 838 yards and five touchdowns in three seasons with the Panthers. Showing the ability to make plays with the Tigers in the spring, Fairweather earned more responsibilities in the offense, said position coach Ben Aigamaua.

“We are kind of putting more on his plate as far as the pass game and the RPO world,” the first-year tight ends coach said. “This spring, everyday, he’s doing something out there spectacular with the catches, taking the ball off the DB’s head, whatever it is. He’s been really, really impressive during camp with the work he’s doing in the passing game. Run-game wise, we’ve got to keep improving and keep getting stronger, but overall through fall camp he’s come a long way.”

His teammates have also seen what Fairweather is capable of. After watching him in the spring, Malcolm Johnson Jr. said that the transfer tight end has only continued to improve.

“I know that he's a real baller,” Johnson Jr. said. “He loves to compete, and he's definitely going to go and get the ball. He makes some spectacular catches, and I can't wait to see what he does in the future.”

Fairweather coming to Auburn adds to an already deep tight end room with veterans Luke Deal, Tyler Fromm and Brandon Frazier along with redshirt freshman Micah Riley. Because of the different guys and different styles of play in the room, Aigamaua said they’ve added more for all of the tight ends as they look to make them an important part of the offense.

“We ask those guys to do a lot of things, especially when we’re in our different sets of personnel or guys we need to get into the game,” Aigamaua said. “It has been really, really good to see those guys embrace the role of either being a receiver or being an inline tight end and just going with it with all of the techniques and different things we’ve got to do.

“The biggest thing the guys are getting used to now is the amount of running they are doing out there now. From go-balls to corners to posts to digs, we’ve got a big route tree to run. I think that’s the biggest adjustment for them is just that they are in shape to do those things.”

Everything centers around Fairweather. Athletic enough to play multiple spots in the Auburn offense, he’s someone that Aigamaua said holds a big key to what the Tigers want to do this season.

“His role means a lot because we can do a lot of different things when he is in the game and when Luke's in the game or with (Brandon) and Tyler,” Aigamaua said. “Him and Tyler, they've got to be healthy for us because it creates a lot of mismatches, it creates a lot of problems. And defenses, they've got to figure how they want to play a two tight end system -- We'll even throw three out there and they've got to figure out how to do it... it's very valuable to have guys like him out on the field.

“They've got to see -- do we want the nickel in the game to cover him, and if we get into our bigger sets do they want him to fit the run? I think that's where it's important, they've got to be able to do both in the system and not just be a one trick pony, we've got to be able to do both.”

• Like 1

• Like 2
  • Love 2

TEs are interesting.  Everyone is talking about Fairweather but that room is stacked with experience and different skill sets.  The rundown mentioned Frazier on their latest episode.  Lots of high hopes for him when he came in.  Deal is a proven commodity especially with blocking.  Riley Ducker has been talked up a bit.  Fromm is floating around somewhere.  I bet you’ll see a lot of 2 TE sets with Fairweather lined up at WR.

9 hours ago, toddc said:

I am sure I am behind the times, but what is the “new helmet accessory” being used by some of the players like in the picture above? Sorry just had to ask.

Edited by au701948

26 minutes ago, au701948 said:

I am sure I am behind the times, but what is the “new helmet accessory” being used by some of the players like in the picture above? Sorry just had to ask.

It is intended to soften blows to the head and reduce the likelihood of concussions.   They came out about 3 years ago.

• Thanks 1

I had to run to a meeting a few hours ago and right before I left I saw a practice video that I can't find now.   In it Jay Fair is running routes, and he looks huge.   The on-line roster has him listed at 5'10" 186.   In that video he looked closer to 210.   Since he is from Texas, I bet Bird has his exact weight.  

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

It is intended to soften blows to the head and reduce the likelihood of concussions.   They came out about 3 years ago.

Why don't they just wear it all the time.. During games

4 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Why don't they just wear it all the time.. During games

Because they look ridiculous. 😝 /s

• Haha 2

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

TEs are interesting.  Everyone is talking about Fairweather but that room is stacked with experience and different skill sets.  The rundown mentioned Frazier on their latest episode.  Lots of high hopes for him when he came in.  Deal is a proven commodity especially with blocking.  Riley Ducker has been talked up a bit.  Fromm is floating around somewhere.  I bet you’ll see a lot of 2 TE sets with Fairweather lined up at WR.

All I see is a room stacked with 1 really talented pass catcher and a bunch of guys who are blockers and not known for their receiving  skills. I think most of the time in 2 TE sets predictably deal will be used as the blocker and Rivaldo as the playmaker!

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Need him to be an absolute menace off the edge! Imo that’s the biggest weakness and question mark on this team. The pass rush. We could really struggle to get off the field on third down once again….

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Need him to be an absolute menace off the edge! Imo they’re the biggest weakness and question mark on this team. The pass rush. We could really struggle to get off the field on third down once again….

GMac, IMO the lack of a pass rush has cost us a lot of wins in the last several years.   Several times all we needed was one sack to run the clock out, and we couldn't get home.  Or, we could only get home if we brought a blitz package, and we got burned when we blitzed.   The ability to get home with just 4 changes everything.   I'm hearing Sings has made serious progress, and the coaches previously thought he could help us at his prior playing level/ability.    This kid from AppSt has everyone talking (and it isn't because he looks great because he is going against our 2022 "tackles").   I also think the UK transfer has the ability to get real push up the middle.   If he can reset the center, that makes the Jack's job so much easier.

• Thanks 1

What's been said about Auburn's quarterbacks in preseason camp

Auburn's QB competition may have already been narrowed down from three players to two

Nathan King2 hrs

(Austin Perryman / Auburn Athletics)

There’s no doubt of Ashford’s athleticism and prowess as a dual-threat quarterback, as he finished with the most rushing yards by an Auburn QB last season since Nick Marshall in 2014. But inaccuracy was a major issue, and the redshirt junior has been complimented multiple times this preseason for taking several steps forward in that area.

"I honestly think Robby has thrown the ball better this fall camp,” Montgomery said. “I've seen him progress in that manner. He's hit a good sum of deep balls. He's been a little more consistent on his underneath stuff. And that's an area where he wants to improve. He's got a big arm. But it's the consistency of the fundamentals that kind of go into that part of it. He's worked really hard on that. I think he's really operated. He does a really good job of trying to lead and be positive and do the things that we're asking him to do. He comes out, and he loves competing. So he's gonna come out and compete every day. When he pulls it down, you better hold on, because he can do some things with it. But I think his biggest progression has been in the throwing side of it."

Sophomore receiver Camden Brown said Ashford’s deep ball was a particular strength this preseason, and that he’s made plenty of impressive throws in practice that caught his teammates’ attention.

“Robby has been better — and he’s getting better and better every single day,” Brown said. “... Him just being more relaxed and comfortable for sure. Him just staying on top of his work ethic, for sure. His deep balls are getting better. He threw a corner route to (Rivaldo Fairweather) and I was like, woah. That was really, really good for sure. His deep ball has been improving.”

Stutts leading the way as guard rotation taking shape for Tigers

Senior Kam Stutts is having a strong camp for the Auburn Tigers.

AUBURN, Alabama—In this day and age of play me or I’m leaving, Auburn senior guard Kam Stutts has been the exception to the rule, but it’s always been that way. Earning an offer from the Tigers during a summer camp, Stutts worked to become a player the coaches couldn’t pass up. Now he’s doing the same things heading into his final season on the Plains, with Jake Thornton and a new coaching staff seeing exactly what the big guard is all about.

“Stutts means a lot to me,” Thornton said. “And in today’s world where it’s so easy to leave and go other places, he stuck it out. He’s been through good and bad here. And in our room, man, there’s not a bigger presence for what it means to be an Auburn offensive lineman. 

“Every day when he gets in there, he’s the first one in, last one to leave, taking care of his body. The trials that he’s been through, the injuries, the coaching changes and trying to find his way, for him to stick it out and still be here, that alone means the world to me as a coach and to the rest of those guys. And it’s setting a great example to the younger players. 

“Like hey, if you don’t get what you want in year one? You don’t get what you want in year two? Stick it out and keep working. And it’s going to fall in your lap if you work hard enough for it so he’s been a big time factor for us on and off the field.”

It’s more than just his presence in the meeting room that has earned Stutts the respect of his coaches and teammates. Seeing his playing time increase last season, the Killen, Alabama native continued that in the spring with Hugh Freeze taking over the Tigers. Putting in the work over the summer that earned him a spot at SEC Media Days representing Auburn, Stutts has continued that early in the preseason and it’s rubbing off on the guys around him.

“I think Stutts has had a great camp, just like in spring,” Thornton said. “I think he’s done a really good job stepping in there, you know, a big dude… 340 pounds. He’s experienced, he’s smart, his football IQ is really high. So he’s done a really nice job.”

Stutts has put himself in a great position to be the starter at right guard while fellow fifth-year senior Jalil Irvin has moved from center to guard and has stepped up his play to give the Tigers another experienced player in a reserve role.

With the offensive line group starting to come together with Dillon Wade at left tackle, Gunner Britton at right tackle and Avery Jones at center, the biggest question is what will happen at left guard. Both Jeremiah Wright and Tate Johnson continue to get reps on the left side and Thornton said it has turned into a fun battle.

“They’ve both done really good things,” Thornton said. “They’re both competitors and the toughness level is there for both of them so they’re both growing as well. Jeremiah having not practiced in the spring and not getting any reps there and then Tate getting hurt in practice five and not getting a ton of reps there, you know, both of those guys are starting to gel and are starting to figure it out. I’m certainly excited about the depth that we’ve created at those two positions.”

Auburn will practice on Thursday and Friday before heading back to Jordan-Hare Stadium for the second scrimmage of the preseason on Saturday.