AU is NOT running Phil Montgomery’s normal offense.

GwillMac6

3 minutes ago, Piketiger1990 said:

I think people are getting 5 from 3 fumbles + 1 int + 1 turnover on downs

Interesting. Didn’t realize the NCAA was now classifying a 4th down stop as a turnover.

• Thanks 1

I don't know whose offense this is but I don't think it's lack of talent. If you can't get something going with a QB like Payton Thorne, RBs like Jacquez Hunter, Jeremiah Cobb and Damari Alston, WRs like Jay Fair, Ja'Varrius Johnson, Rivaldo Fairweather, Shane Hooks and Cam Brown, then something is wrong. There is plenty of talent there to be used in a good game plan.

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wow. the honeymoon is over and we have not lost yet. the man has said repeatedly it is a work in progress. as far as who's "O" we're running i thought it was a combination of montgomery and freeze? i also think this D will help keep us in ballgames.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

wow. the honeymoon is over and we have not lost yet. the man has said repeatedly it is a work in progress. as far as who's "O" we're running i thought it was a combination of montgomery and freeze? i also think this D will help keep us in ballgames.

To be honest, after viewing some of the SEC's crappy offenses so far this year; Auburn may be in the thick of things and could win the West with our defense.

No QB/WR/RB/Oline look too good so far.  There's tons of work to do at AU/LSU/USCe/UF/UAT/Arky/aTm,  even Ole Miss floundered around on offense vs Tulane until the end of that game.

• Like 5

Just now, JerryAU said:

To be honest, after viewing some of the SEC's crappy offenses so far this year; Auburn may be in the thick of things and could win the West with our defense.

No QB/WR/RB/Oline look too good so far.  There's tons of work to do at AU/LSU/USCe/UF/UAT/Arky/aTm,  even Ole Miss floundered around on offense vs Tulane until the end of that game.

Backup QB for Tulane too!!!

1 minute ago, JerryAU said:

• Like 2

Just now, IronMan70 said:

@aubuefifty

Nahh, the honeymoon isn't over by a long shot, at least not by me anyway. That doesn't mean you can't see what is going on down on the field and react to the obvious. We have a lot of talent on this team so my comment is also directed at comments to the contrary. The gameplan to utilize all that talent I named has been underutilized imo. I really like Coach Freeze and everything he has done so far, except for this 2 QB thing. It goes against almost everything I know about developing a QBs. I find his "Robby needs his touches" comments to be strange and something needs to change. That doesn't mean I don't like CHF.  

for the record i was not thinking of you when i wrote that. it was directed to the gloom and doom. i posted the new auburn everyday and it is a great show. opens with the locker room speech after the cal game.   but no sir i had not probs with what you said.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

@aubiefifty

Nahh, the honeymoon isn't over by a long shot, at least not by me anyway. That doesn't mean you can't see what is going on down on the field and react to the obvious. We have a lot of talent on this team so my comment is also directed at comments to the contrary. The gameplan to utilize all that talent I listed has been underutilized imo. I really like Coach Freeze and everything he has done so far, except for this 2 QB thing. It goes against almost everything I know about developing a QB. I also find his "Robby needs his touches" comments to be strange, something needs to change. That doesn't mean I don't like CHF.  

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

for the record i was not thinking of you when i wrote that. it was directed to the gloom and doom. i posted the new auburn everyday and it is a great show. opens with the locker room speech after the cal game.   but no sir i had not probs with what you said.

@aubiefifty

Oh good, I had made a typo on your s/n so I deleted the original post to you to correct it and our responses got out of order, lol. Anyway, yeah we've got the talent and I just hate to see talent wasted. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes but personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Coach Freeze call the offense for the entire first quarter or half.

• Like 1

Players getting paid big bucks (NIL $$), there may be some pressure on the coaches to get that player his touches.   

Portal players may not be immediate improvements at a position, they may not be all the hype some fans pump them up to be and they may not be plug-and-play type guys in a conference like the SEC.  

Just me brainstorming and thinking out loud. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Yes, I was thinking about that last night. We have a tremendous opportunity this year if we can just get this thing going.

• Thanks 1

It's the HCs job to run the program and that includes coaching your coaches.  We need to step up our skill position coaching, IMO.  Alignment, effort, consistency, and ball security on O have been major issues. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

The problem is not QBs.  The problem is coaching.

Either QB can win 8 games but,,, you cannot limit them with poor schemes, poor play calling, showing a lack of confidence.  It would also help if our blocking improved.

Playing "conservatively" (with fear and, no confidence) produced 5 turnovers.  I doubt it could be worse by opening up the playbook.

If you don’t think it could be worse, you don’t know football.   Let RA drop back and pass 50 times , you will see worse.   

Edited by aubaseball
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

It's the HCs job to run the program and that includes coaching your coaches.  We need to step up our skill position coaching, IMO.  Alignment, effort, consistency, and ball security on O have been major issues. 

I mean, if you think Caddy needs to step it up, why not just call him out by name, Bird?

:poke:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AUbritt said:

I mean, if you think Caddy needs to step it up, why not just call him out by name, Bird?

:poke:

And Marcus is the other. 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Interestingly worded thread title, like it's "AU"s fault Montgomery isn't running his usual O.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I'm not sure we have the talent on offense, other than RB (where we still don't have an elite player like Tank). The OL is better but I didn't expect it to be great. The WRs are unproven at this level (remember that before last season, almost everyone on this board expected us to have a great WR corp. We continue to be enamored by potential). QB is an upgrade, but I'm not sure how much of one. 

For the record, I don't blame Freeze for any of this. He inherited a roster much worse than some fans still realize. 

But I do think Freeze needs to ride with Thorne and open it up. Robbie had his chances and he's not it. Let's find out how the offense can perform with the full playbook and a confident Thorne. 

I don't think we will truly know what this offense is until A&M. Which is reminiscent of Gus. But I will reserve my judgment until then. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

In a situation like Auburn finds itself in with offensive head coaches does the oc call their offense or do they run the hc’s offense with some of the oc’s offense mixed in?  Running the hc’s offense would create consistency when coaching changes occur but running the oc’s offense would bring familiarity to the play caller.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

This is about the time we step in and fire the WR coach

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

The honeymoon will be over if we struggle to generating any passing offense this week then get obliterated by A&M next week.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

9 hours ago, cbo said:

I'm not sure we have the talent on offense, other than RB (where we still don't have an elite player like Tank). The OL is better but I didn't expect it to be great. The WRs are unproven at this level (remember that before last season, almost everyone on this board expected us to have a great WR corp. We continue to be enamored by potential). QB is an upgrade, but I'm not sure how much of one. 

For the record, I don't blame Freeze for any of this. He inherited a roster much worse than some fans still realize. 

But I do think Freeze needs to ride with Thorne and open it up. Robbie had his chances and he's not it. Let's find out how the offense can perform with the full playbook and a confident Thorne. 

I don't think we will truly know what this offense is until A&M. Which is reminiscent of Gus. But I will reserve my judgment until then. 

I'm holding out hope that we are "holding back concepts" and not running anything to actually help our QB and WRs get open until we actually need it.  Mainly b/c that that's all I have.  We barely used Rivaldo until the last drive.  He caught 1 roll out for 10-12yds before that (why aren't we doing this more???).

We aren't running RPOs, we don't seem to be running any route combinations to help our WRs.  Crosses, quick slants, bunch sets, etc.  Or the long 3rd down throw we had 4 WRs, two ran fly routes, two ran digs/comebacks.  Luckily Rivaldo dug out a poor & drastically underthrown ball from Thorne.  Why aren't we crossing WRs and getting DBs to run into or avoid each other to HELP our WRs create space?  Seems every other team can do that.

Back to my prayer that we are just not showing it yet.

Also, disagree on "unproven at this level".  We've played UMASS and Cal.  Two awful teams.  We're about to play a 3rd and all of these players have proven it vs terrible teams like this.  We haven't even gotten to "this level" yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I'm holding out hope that we are "holding back concepts" and not running anything to actually help our QB and WRs get open until we actually need it.  Mainly b/c that that's all I have.  We barely used Rivaldo until the last drive.  He caught 1 roll out for 10-12yds before that (why aren't we doing this more???).

We aren't running RPOs, we don't seem to be running any route combinations to help our WRs.  Crosses, quick slants, bunch sets, etc.  Or the long 3rd down throw we had 4 WRs, two ran fly routes, two ran digs/comebacks.  Luckily Rivaldo dug out a poor & drastically underthrown ball from Thorne.  Why aren't we crossing WRs and getting DBs to run into or avoid each other to HELP our WRs create space?  Seems every other team can do that.

Back to my prayer that we are just not showing it yet.

Also, disagree on "unproven at this level".  We've played UMASS and Cal.  Two awful teams.  We're about to play a 3rd and all of these players have proven it vs terrible teams like this.  We haven't even gotten to "this level" yet.

I wonder if the “holding back” isn’t because the offense doesn’t know the plays well enough.  Thorne and several of the WRs didn’t even arrive till August.  I bet things will look progressively better as the season progresses but the reps aren’t there yet.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

In a situation like Auburn finds itself in with offensive head coaches does the oc call their offense or do they run the hc’s offense with some of the oc’s offense mixed in?  Running the hc’s offense would create consistency when coaching changes occur but running the oc’s offense would bring familiarity to the play caller.

Supposedly CHF and the Montgomery run the SAME offense or at least almost the same offense. That was one of the reasons Montgomery was going to be a "great fit" according to the press releases when he was hired. Let's revisit this topic after the Texas A&M game. If he can't get Thorne and the receivers on the same page by then it will be worth the hand wringing.

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

@W.E.DI was surprised by our last scoring drive at Cal, so it does make me hopeful that they've been holding onto some plays for TA&M. 

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I wonder if the “holding back” isn’t because the offense doesn’t know the plays well enough.  Thorne and several of the WRs didn’t even arrive till August.  I bet things will look progressively better as the season progresses but the reps aren’t there yet.  

All of these WRs where here in May.  They were here all summer long.  Coaches can actually work/hold sessions with players over the summer now.  I think it's like 12 or 20 hour or something.  So they didn't walk into 2-a-days completely green.

But yeah, you don't get the full breadth and I agree that they need more time to work and spring would've been good (we tried to get as many players/QBs/WRs here this spring as possible).