A look at our last 4 Classes. This is the issue:

W.E.D

13 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's arguing against it and capping for Gus ITT.  It's amazing

Just wondering where all of our depth disappeared to. 

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Just wondering where all of our depth disappeared to. 

Over those 5 classes, only 3 are starters on other teams.  3 others on the two deep.  No OL

13 hours ago, AUwent said:

I do feel bad for being as critical of him as I was. I've since realized that he was up against a massive disadvantage in the form of our schedule compared to the rest of the SEC, which hopefully will at least improve in the coming years. We (myself included) did look very spoiled calling for him to be fired after every single loss. "He had a bad record vs. the Big Three on the road!" Yeah, everyone does--those are three of possibly the top five most powerful programs in CFB.

That said, I can understand that our roster was starting to head towards the direction of where it is now thanks to some very poor development and some refusal to adapt on his part. And obviously a few games here and there we had no business losing.

Basically, a lot of nuance there.

To me the biggest problem was just the OL and ignoring that. I think the skill position guys he got were fine tbh. He didn’t maximize Nix, but he wasn’t the problem in 2021 (in someone else’s scheme admittedly). RBs were good, WRs were good, defense was going to be top tier every other year. He just needs an OL to have some fire in run blocking, and they didn’t have that  

It is neat that some of his last class like Pegues, Hudson and Dawson are doing their thing. King is even being molded to an Utah-caliber TE. I wish they could’ve figured it out here! 

• Like 2

It was always OL and QB. OL speaks for itself.
QB: The only reason we had nix in the first place was because he was a Legacy and loves Auburn. Other than him, we have not had a good high school quarterback at Auburn in 15 years. Think about that. We can list them but it is horrifying and there are children present.
Don’t get me wrong, transfer quarterbacks took us to the promised land twice. I know they can be great. But depending on transfer QB instead of recruiting HS studs will also get you where we have been in the last decade + and where we are today. In deep trouble. We need both - a stop gap and a stud HS QB. 
The funny thing is we will probably have to bring in another stop gap transfer QB for next year. 
hopefully the cycle will end soon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

QB: The only reason we had nix in the first place was because he was a Legacy and loves Auburn. Other than him, we have not had a good high school quarterback at Auburn in 15 years. Think about that. We can list them but it is horrifying and there are children present.
Don’t get me wrong, transfer quarterbacks took us to the promised land twice. I know they can be great. But depending on transfer QB instead of recruiting HS studs will also get you where we have been in the last decade + and where we are today. In deep trouble. We need both - a stop gap and a stud HS QB. 
The funny thing is we will probably have to bring in another stop gap transfer QB for next year. 

I’ll admit WW being from Arky makes me nervous after our last two tries with QBs from there.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I’ll admit WW being from Arky makes me nervous after our last two tries with QBs from there.

Must be something in the water (much sarcasm here)!!!Lol

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I don’t blame Jeremy on him, just bc the guy clearly had mental issues that blocked his talent. I kinda actually give him props for White, which may be weird depending on your POV. But missing out on Lamar, Zeke Pike/Tyler Queen being a waste of scholarships, being unable to evaluate Joey or Willis, there were definitely a house of horrors 

• Like 1

Auburn’s best time to really have a run post Tubs was probably that 2015-16 slot, looking back. No really good East teams, Richt was finished, and LSU was on the decline. Bama wasn’t the full offensive juggernaut that they became in the Tua-Bryce run. And the sad thing is (to tie it back to this thread), it wasn’t talent that cost them there. Horrid defensive coordinator hire in (in 2013, but it shows up) 2014, no Marshall successor in 15 or 16. I actually think those were probably teams that should’ve won the SEC at least once, if you find the QB

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Auburn’s best time to really have a run post Tubs was probably that 2015-16 slot, looking back. No really good East teams, Richt was finished, and LSU was on the decline. Bama wasn’t the full offensive juggernaut that they became in the Tua-Bryce run. And the sad thing is (to tie it back to this thread), it wasn’t talent that cost them there. Horrid defensive coordinator hire in (in 2013, but it shows up) 2014, no Marshall successor in 15 or 16. I actually think those were probably teams that should’ve won the SEC at least once, if you find the QB

If JJ hadn't had a thing for playing Clemson I'd agree with you. I don't care that they appear to be past their peak, I never want to play them again.

Edited by AUwent
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

If JJ hadn't had a thing for playing Clemson I'd agree with you. I don't care that they appear to be past their peak, I never want to play them again.

Hey on the flip side, if Gus manufactures any offense in those two years, Auburn’s possibly (!!!) in the playoff regardless of the 2017 SECCG, and would’ve been reallyyyyy high going into that disgusting 2016 loss to Georgia. Some real golden opportunities squandered 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 8:09 PM, W.E.D said:

2019 Class (5th yr Seniors):

• 3 starters on D,
  • 3 back ups on offense.
  • 0 OL

2020 Class (4th year):

• 0 Starters.
  • 2 2nd string LB.
  • 2 2nd String on offense.
  • 1 OL: Career back up

2021 class (3rd year): :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• 1 RB
  • 0 OL

2022 Class: (2nd year):

• 1 starting WR.
  • 1 Starting Star (hurt).
  • 0 OL.

Smattering of 2nd teasers

6 of 22 starters are HS recruits?  Stutts is 7 and a 6th year covid guy. Maybe 15 of 44 in the two deep?? 
We have 1 starter and 1 back up OL in our two deep from our previous 5 recruiting class.

Gus + Harsin essentially put us on probation

That’s not  just probation it’s that double secret probation like they had in Animal House (except it’s not a secret).  I don’t see how you could even intentionally set out to screw it up that bad and make it happen.  It’s something closer to sabotage.  

Edited by weagl1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bad snaps from center over and over. Off sides on kick off. Defense appears to be getting coached. The trend of terrible offensive coaching continues.  We can legitimately complain about high school recruiting but we have to coach better on the offensive side of the ball.  And we cant afford bad coaching on special teams. Bad snaps, too many men on the field, no help for our QB with slants, off sides on kick off, giving up kick returns to mid field, missed assignments, etc. is not about poor recruiting. 

4 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

Does Ga have better players? Yes. Did we get out coached again? YES! Good enough players to win today.  Not good enough offensive coaching to get it done. Sad. 

We made a lot of bad decisions. But not rushing more than 4 on their QB even after Bowers STILL continued to get wide open was Horrible. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 8:09 PM, W.E.D said:

2019 Class (5th yr Seniors):

• 3 starters on D,
  • 3 back ups on offense.
  • 0 OL

2020 Class (4th year):

• 0 Starters.
  • 2 2nd string LB.
  • 2 2nd String on offense.
  • 1 OL: Career back up

2021 class (3rd year): :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• 1 RB
  • 0 OL

2022 Class: (2nd year):

• 1 starting WR.
  • 1 Starting Star (hurt).
  • 0 OL.

Smattering of 2nd teasers

6 of 22 starters are HS recruits?  Stutts is 7 and a 6th year covid guy. Maybe 15 of 44 in the two deep?? 
We have 1 starter and 1 back up OL in our two deep from our previous 5 recruiting class.

Gus + Harsin essentially put us on probation

There were issues, but people forget the fact that going into the 2021 fall season, Auburn's roster was ranked #14 in the country based on composite talent.  That was ahead of Michigan, Tennessee, Penn State  etc.  There was talent on the roster.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

On 9/29/2023 at 10:03 AM, gr82b4au said:

I'm late to this thread but I was just reading what you said about our high school recruiting at the QB position and how it has sucked so I went back to the Tuberville era. Jason Campbell and Brandon Cox were our HS recruits and then it's mainly transfers ever since.

2008 - Chris Todd 

2009 - Chris Todd

2010 - Cam Newton 

2013 - Nick Marshall 

2014 - Nick Marshall

2017 - Jarrett Stidham 

2018 - Jarrett Stidham 

2021 - TJ Finley last 4 games of year

2022 - TJ Finley, Robby Ashford 

2023 - Payton Thorne, Robby Ashford

Starting QB's nearly every year since Tuberville's last season in 2008, have been transfers. When we did have a starting QB that signed here from high school, it was Kodi Burns, Barrett Trotter, Kiehl Frazier, Clint Moseley, Jonathan Wallace, Jeremy Johnson, Sean White and Bo Nix. 

We've been a graveyard for QB's who committed here from high school. It HAS to change soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I'm late to this thread but I was just reading what you said about our high school recruiting at the QB position and how it has sucked so I went back to the Tuberville era. Jason Campbell and Brandon Cox were our HS recruits and then it's mainly transfers ever since.

2008 - Chris Todd 

2009 - Chris Todd

2010 - Cam Newton 

2013 - Nick Marshall 

2014 - Nick Marshall

2017 - Jarrett Stidham 

2018 - Jarrett Stidham 

2021 - TJ Finley last 4 games of year

2022 - TJ Finley, Robby Ashford 

2023 - Payton Thorne, Robby Ashford

Starting QB's nearly every year since Tuberville's last season in 2008, have been transfers. When we did have a starting QB that signed here from high school, it was Kodi Burns, Barrett Trotter, Kiehl Frazier, Clint Moseley, Jonathan Wallace, Jeremy Johnson, Sean White and Bo Nix. 

We've been a graveyard for QB's who committed here from high school. It HAS to change soon.

steve-buscemi-big-daddy.gif 

Combine it with the absentee OL recruiting and our offensive recruiting the last decade was propped up by TE and WR that we never passed to.  We've been putrid on O for a long time.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/30/2023 at 3:50 PM, KillenTime said:

Doesnt matter how bad you recruit if you cant get the right number of people on the field. Horrible play calling. Just a piss poor coached team so far this year. 

On 9/30/2023 at 3:55 PM, KillenTime said:

Cant get the play calls in. Never make the defense pay for blitzing LBers. Bad. 

On 9/30/2023 at 5:19 PM, KillenTime said:

Bad snaps from center over and over. Off sides on kick off. Defense appears to be getting coached. The trend of terrible offensive coaching continues.  We can legitimately complain about high school recruiting but we have to coach better on the offensive side of the ball.  And we cant afford bad coaching on special teams. Bad snaps, too many men on the field, no help for our QB with slants, off sides on kick off, giving up kick returns to mid field, missed assignments, etc. is not about poor recruiting. 

On 9/30/2023 at 5:44 PM, KillenTime said:

OL struggling to pass so we go no backs and get sacked. Is anyone surprised. Thats just bad game plan and play call. Feel sorry for our players. 

23 hours ago, KillenTime said:

Does Ga have better players? Yes. Did we get out coached again? YES! Good enough players to win today.  Not good enough offensive coaching to get it done. Sad. 

Working on that post count I see.....

• Haha 2

On 9/30/2023 at 5:47 PM, KillenTime said:

Are u serious or kidding?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Working on that post count I see.....

Either that or he's found the key to the liquor cabinet and he's drunk posting. J/k

Remember that post on here awhile back where somebody said "There's people who are glass half full and there's people who are glass half empty. And then there's people like KillenTime who don't even own a damn glass." 😂

On 10/1/2023 at 7:15 AM, bigbird said:

steve-buscemi-big-daddy.gif 

Combine it with the absentee OL recruiting and our offensive recruiting the last decade was propped up by TE and WR that we never passed to.  We've been putrid on O for a long time.  

I hate to say it but I agree with you. 

• Thanks 1

The OP is definitely bleak. And it explains a lot.

But I'm going to remind that recruiting numbers is not the only problem.

Recruiting OL players out of high school is one of the most problematic challenges. Yes, if you recruit a big crop of 5 star OL kids, at least some of them will work out for you. But also, there are 3 star OL prospects that turn out to be excellent as they mature and get coached up.

So we need not only numbers, but much bigger numbers. And the reality is, if you can pull in some good OL players with a couple of years experience through the portal, at least you have some prior experience to work with.

But equally problematic is recruiting WRs. Auburn has recruited a bunch of highly regarded WRs over the past decade. Some were fast with hands of concrete. Some were midgets, some were heralded TEs, etc. The guys in our current WR room were not dregs of the barrel.

Finding WRs who can perform at the SEC level and become exceptional game day receivers is really hard. There's an element to success at WR that is not calculable in recruiting, not tangible or quantifiable.

So I'd say, at this point, on offense recruiting needs to be on not only OL, but also WR, because as we've seen too often, our current crop is not getting the job done.