Are we sure Freeze took Over Play Calling Today

shabby

It sure seemed substantially better and different. They seemed to say at the beginning of the game that Hugh freeze was calling the game but in the middle of the game they seem to indicate Philip Montgomery was. Judging by what I saw in the field it sure look like freeze called the game. What are you guys think?

Definitely better. I think I only disagreed with two or three calls. I wish we would have made a statement early by going for it with 4th and a foot with  QB sneak and two H-Back pushers. Also handing off 7 yards deep with critical 3rd and 4th and 1's rarely is successful against teams much less talented than UGA. Guys played as well and as hard as they can.

• Like 4

3 against A&M versus 20 against UGA, yeah something changed. At some point everyone just needs to accept we don’t have SEC talent of offense this year. It’ll come in future years hopefully. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, autan said:

Definitely better. I think I only disagreed with two or three calls. I wish we would have made a statement early by going for it with 4th and a foot with  QB sneak and two H-Back pushers. Also handing off 7 yards deep with critical 3rd and 4th and 1's rarely is successful against teams much less talented than UGA. Guys played as well and as hard as they can.

Take the 3 before the half and go in with the lead. It didn't matter in the end but it sure felt like it did then. 

• Like 5

Just now, gr82be said:

Take the 3 before the half and go in with the lead. It didn't matter in the end but it sure felt like it did then. 

3 would’ve been big there. Take lead into half with UGA receiving in the second half. 

• Like 1

Just now, AUStew87 said:

3 would’ve been big there. Take lead into half with UGA receiving in the second half. 

Exactly 

I think the strategy changed of playing keep away to win the time of possession and lean on the defense to do their job, but also give them rest.

No. Jason Campbell was begging for the RPO the entire second half. Almost a direct quote would be, ' we need to get back to the RPO because UGA had no answers for it. '

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, AUStew87 said:

3 against A&M versus 20 against UGA, yeah something changed. At some point everyone just needs to accept we don’t have SEC talent of offense this year. It’ll come in future years hopefully. 

Two short fields was pretty much it. We ran the ball better but passing game and runs on 1st down still were massive issues 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Two short fields was pretty much it. We ran the ball better but passing game and runs on 1st down still were massive issues 

Ummm 307 total yards against UGA was almost double the production from last week

Play calling only felt different to me in that they looked at what worked over the last 3 games, and just did much more of that lol. The offtackle Thorne runs, the throwing to or using RBs in the flats as decoys, and off tackle RB runs. I don't think any of that is unfamiliar to us, although we didn't see it as much as we'd like last week. 

The cot dam backshoulder passes are creeping to a point that's worse than 2019 Auburn though. I see why we don't throw slants after that horrid whiff on the last drive, but there's gotta be something other than 20 yard fades to receivers who can't catch wide open balls anyway

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, shabby said:

Ummm 307 total yards against UGA was almost double the production from last week

300yds total offense is pretty bad.

You know that, right?

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

You know that, right?

I really find it hard to believe this team is so inept at passing the ball. We have to be close to last stat wise nationally I would imagine. 

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

You know that, right?

The response was in support of the comment that something changed in our offense. Not sure how you don't get the fact that doubling offensive production against a vastly superior team is a pretty significant Improvement in seven short days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was just glad to see Auburn sustain drives.  I feel like the defense gassed out after the 98 yard drive.  Week off to get healthier and probably look like poo in Baron Rogue.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I really find it hard to believe this team is so inept at passing the ball. We have to be close to last stat wise nationally I would imagine. 

It's amazing. Last year makes sense. Now we can't even do was G5 teams do in OOC games.

And what's wild is we're running the ball somewhat well, so we should be able to pass

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, shabby said:

The response was in support of the comment that something changed in our offense. Not sure how you don't get the fact that doubling offensive production against a vastly superior team is a pretty significant Improvement in seven short days

Honestly don't know of their defense is that much better

32 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Play calling only felt different to me in that they looked at what worked over the last 3 games, and just did much more of that lol. The offtackle Thorne runs, the throwing to or using RBs in the flats as decoys, and off tackle RB runs. I don't think any of that is unfamiliar to us, although we didn't see it as much as we'd like last week. 

The cot dam backshoulder passes are creeping to a point that's worse than 2019 Auburn though. I see why we don't throw slants after that horrid whiff on the last drive, but there's gotta be something other than 20 yard fades to receivers who can't catch wide open balls anyway

Agree. At this point, it appears to be a mass problem. No OL, which has been the case for years now, receivers and QB nowhere near being on the same page and WR whom just aren’t even good enough to make a play when a pass is actually thrown near them. Good effort today, but in the end, that really means nothing. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, shabby said:

Honestly, the fact that we almost doubled O yards is so much more of an indictment of the current lack of Offense identity than GA losing half their D to the pros since last year. In my sideline opinion, our offensive guru HC has a lot to figure out, if we are to even get to 6 wins this year, which means 15 extra practices, that are quite obviously needed. Our D is the only reason we beat Cal and the only reason we kept it in the vicinity against TAMU and GA. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Agree. At this point, it appears to be a mass problem. No OL, which has been the case for years now, receivers and QB nowhere near being on the same page and WR whom just aren’t even good enough to make a play when a pass is actually thrown near them. Good effort today, but in the end, that really means nothing. 

I don't know if it's the choice routes or what. I hear those are incredibly hard to implement, but Colorado runs them too, and they've been perfectly fine. I'd honestly contend their WRs look more talented than ours after seeing their 4th/5th option come in today and rip USC to shreds in one half. 

• Like 1