Are we sure Freeze took Over Play Calling Today

shabby

11 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

This thread is same post game thread for the past 7 years. Maybe this one will figure it all out 

Not sure what youre talking about. They announced at the beginning of the fmgame Freeze was taking over play calling. Just curious if we saw evidence of it. Playing calli g seemed substantially better whatever the case

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

Take the 3 before the half and go in with the lead. It didn't matter in the end but it sure felt like it did then. 

Agree, but what really killed is today was 3rd down on both sides of the ball. Defense had them at 3rd and 6 plus on ever scoring drive and could get off the field. Take that 3 before half and get one of those big 3rd and long and that's our W.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shabby said:

It sure seemed substantially better and different. They seemed to say at the beginning of the game that Hugh freeze was calling the game but in the middle of the game they seem to indicate Philip Montgomery was. Judging by what I saw in the field it sure look like freeze called the game. What are you guys think?

Freeze said he was more involved in game planning,  and approved all the plays (I assume pregame).   Not sure how many he called tho.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenTiger said:

This thread is same post game thread for the past 7 years. Maybe this one will figure it all out 

Really?  Not so much

4 hours ago, AUStew87 said:

3 against A&M versus 20 against UGA, yeah something changed. At some point everyone just needs to accept we don’t have SEC talent of offense this year. It’ll come in future years hopefully. 

We dont have it in the D Backfield either. Ask Brock Bowers...

I don’t think he outright took over. But I think he took a more active role. Montgomery is more of a straight spread guy. We had a lot more RPOs tonight, and that’s Hugh’s staple. That said, some of the formations and plays still had a very RG3 era Baylor feel to them. I think they honestly found a rhythm blending their styles together, and it looked much better. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

lol

13 hours ago, shabby said:

Not sure what youre talking about. They announced at the beginning of the fmgame Freeze was taking over play calling. Just curious if we saw evidence of it. Playing calli g seemed substantially better whatever the case

It's been since Gus we get the lines about the HC now taking over offensive playcalling. It'll be back to OC next week then HF week after most likely. But we all know the real answer.

Rhett Lashlee is texting in the plays.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

“Coach Freeze is always there in practice since fall camp,” running back Brian Battie said. “He’ll call his own plays every now and then. But Coach Mont, he’s still running the show.”

It doesn't matter who calls plays if Thorne can't run the RPO and can't throw it. He had one big run for 60 yards and one other for around 6 yards. Go back and look at how many chances he had to keep it and the edge was wide open. We need a OL that can protect a better QB. 

We are a couple of classes away from being back. And hopefully White will be out answer at QB. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, fasttimes said:

Agree, but what really killed is today was 3rd down on both sides of the ball. Defense had them at 3rd and 6 plus on ever scoring drive and could get off the field. Take that 3 before half and get one of those big 3rd and long and that's our W.

I agree with your point for sure. Take the 3 before half.

However, I believe we’re something like 2 of 12 while UGA was over 50%. And many times (not just a few) the Defense had them in 3rd and long and could not make the play.

i think with our lack of overall talent and depth right now, this is going to be a problem the remainder of the year. But we all should be encouraged with the amount of effort CHF and staff have given to move us forward.

He was LEFT with the LEAST amount of talent and depth that I have seen at Auburn since I graduated way back in 1970.

CHF and staff fortunately had the portal to start the rebuild and did way more positive than I thought possible.

He has a fairly well rounded recruiting class for 2024 in the wings, if we can keep them all until NSD.

As long as his and the staff’s efforts keep succeeding in the recruiting spectrum, I believe we see a marked improvement after CHF have a full Spring and Fall with this year’s returnees and 2024 recruits.’

We won’t be loaded like UGA next year, but the foundation has started and is exciting versus what Gus and Harsin failed miserably at the last 4 or 5 years.

JMO

• Like 1

Who is calling the plays doesn’t matter in the least when you don’t have the W
QB, WR’s and OL. That is a discussion for when you are wasting talent by having a bad play caller. It’s embarrassing how bad our WR’s are. Worst group of WR’s in the sec? I think so. That back shoulder throw was a thing of beauty to 16 and he couldn’t squeeze it…. Freeze and Monty want to pass a lot and push it down the field. We don’t have any of the ingredients for that. 😭😢

On 9/30/2023 at 4:36 PM, gr82be said:

Take the 3 before the half and go in with the lead. It didn't matter in the end but it sure felt like it did then. 

I like going for it there. We had nothing to lose and didn't know how many more times we would get so close to the end zone. 

We just have to figure out how to gain a yard when we need one. Shouldn't be that hard. I say ditch the shotgun in those situations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, au701948 said:

He was LEFT with the LEAST amount of talent and depth that I have seen at Auburn since I graduated way back in 1970.

That 70 team would beat the crap out of this years team. Sullivan, Beasley, Clark, Zofko, Willingham, Bresler, Strckland, McCracken, Speigner, McDonald, Yearout....the list can go on for a few more. Shug did have some talent on that team.

• Like 1

Freeze was more involved in offensive playcalling vs UGa, according to multiple articles posted today by fifty. Ole Hugh was reportedly not happy w/ Montgomery abandoning RPO plays against aTm. 

IMHO our consistently high snaps were a bizarre but huge factor in this loss. You could see it throwing everything off, most notably our turning the ball over on downs at UGa's 12 - the RB clearly hesitates because the handoff timing to him was off due to a snap Ashford had to jump to catch. 

Edited by aucanucktiger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Freeze was more involved in offensive playcalling vs UGa, according to multiple articles posted today by fifty. Ole Hugh was reportedly not happy w/ Montgomery abandoning RPO plays against aTm. 

IMHO our consistently high snaps were a bizarre but huge factor in this loss. You could see it throwing everything off, most notably our turning the ball over on downs at UGa's 12 - the RB clearly hesitates because the handoff timing to him was off due to a snap Ashford had to jump to catch. 

So agree with this. Its aamzing there werent turnovers due to the snapping issues

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shabby said:

So agree with this. Its aamzing there werent turnovers due to the snapping issues

Honestly the 4th down play where Jarquez failed to convert is basically the same thing IMO

• Like 3

5 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

^^^ 1000% this 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shabby said:

This seems to have been a relatively new problem. Hopefully will/can be addressed. May have to do with individual he is seeing eye to eye.

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

Now that you can push the pile,,, why does anyone line up in shotgun on fourth down and 1 or 2?

It is so easy to push the pile for 1 or 2 yards.

It's dumb and makes zero sense...

Yeah, let's try it anyway. 

13 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Now that you can push the pile,,, why does anyone line up in shotgun on fourth down and 1 or 2?

The only thing I can think is that with the high snaps being an almost immediate problem, even if we were a team that really liked under center runs, Freeze would be hesitant to trust the exchange. That’s me playing devils advocate - I feel like I’ve seen us do at least one under center run to date this year, but I also don’t remember the snapping being that horrible before that game 

20 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

office-michael.gif