Show your age…

Swamp Eagle

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We got a classic KB drop highlight in this game too!!! 😂😂

Lmaooo he redeemed himself though!!! 

• Haha 1

On 10/7/2023 at 1:40 PM, weagl1 said:

Tucker Fredrickson with Jimmy Sidle playing QB but he was mostly a RB too.  

I remember Sidle. Didn't he have a decent arm,  got hurt , and pretty much ran from them on? Full disclosure, I think I remember my Dad and Uncle talking about the injury, but I remember TF and JS from the radio. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

The first major RB was Rudi Johnson, the few years prior we didn’t have a big name rb 

Funny thing about Rudi Johnson is that he was initially unknown to Tubberville’s 1st staff at AU. They were at Butler Community College in Kansas to recruit QB Daniel Cobb, but Rudi’s play for that same team stuck out so much that they offered him in ‘99 and his amazing 2000 run is history.

15 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

I remember Sidle. Didn't he have a decent arm,  got hurt , and pretty much ran from them on? Full disclosure, I think I remember my Dad and Uncle talking about the injury, but I remember TF and JS from the radio. 

He got hurt in the first game of the season against Houston, he tore the rotator cuff in his right shoulder, and yes he had a decent arm. Him and Tucker in the same backfield was a thing of beauty. Auburn was a big favorite for the national championship when he got hurt.

eBay

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Hold on now Bobby was one scary dude. did you ever see Bobby in person

I thought the same thing 

My first AU game in person was the '64 Orange Bowl. So, my answer is Tucker Fredrickson. I'm surprised at how many here call Tucker their first memory. Some of y'all are way older than I had imagined. I thought I'd be one of the very few to remember Tucker.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

My first AU game in person was the '64 Orange Bowl. So, my answer is Tucker Fredrickson. I'm surprised at how many here call Tucker their first memory. Some of y'all are way older than I had imagined. I thought I'd be one of the very few to remember Tucker.

I was 8 when that game was played. I can't remember details of any certain game, but the radio was always on when AU played. Of course when AU actually got to play on TV , the old tube was dialed in. Mom was the most vocal AU loving, Bama deriding fan ever. Dad was more level headed , and he was the AU graduate. 

Great memories.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Hold on now Bobby was one scary dude. Did you ever see Bobby in person

I met him. I worked with Lloyd Nix selling class rings and fitted Hoppe for his. He was a scary dude. There is a TV documentary about him.

'The Trials of Bobby Hoppe' examines the former Auburn star's role in a 1957 shooting death - ESPN

Edited by Son of A Tiger
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

I met him. I worked with Lloyd Nix selling class rings and fitted Hoppe for his. He was a scary dude. There is a TV documentary about him.

'The Trials of Bobby Hoppe' examines the former Auburn star's role in a 1957 shooting death - ESPN

Wow only knew one other person who ever met him. Yeah I know all about Bobby he was a hell of a player tough as nails. 

• Like 2

Lionel James and Bo in 1982. I was 3 years old.

That 1982 Iron Bowl was "Bo Over the Top" and I somewhat remember it but I was tiny.

I do remember literally crying after the 1984 "Wrong Way Bo" Iron Bowl loss. I really didn't know what Bo did wrong, I just knew my Auburn Tigers lost to Alabama and I hated Alabama already!!! 

I mainly remember Iron Bowls until around 1986 and I can remember alot of games starting then. 

8 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

There's also a book. Goes into a lot of detail and does a good job of covering the Auburn Tigers of the day. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=redemption+of+a+hometown+hero

I have a friend who says he was standing outside the Tiger Theater in Auburn when Hoppe made somebody "dance" by firing his pistol at the guy's feet. Probably true, my friend isn't known for stretching the truth.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 3:20 PM, JuscAUse! said:

Bad shoulder senior season, stuck it out, no transfer portal NIL just a scholarship and a chance to play football at Auburn.  Only time I saw him was in a bowl game on TV as 9 yo.  When things got tough I would punch up my shoulder pads just like he did.

On 10/6/2023 at 4:57 PM, AURex said:

hahaha ya'll be babies. When I was a kid, I'd watch football with my dad on TV. I remember the great Tucker Frederickson, all 6'2" 220 lbs plowing down defenders. That man could ball !!

Plus, he played safety on defense.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2023 at 9:19 AM, soblfly said:

I remember this guy. He was a heck of a good back but couldn't hold onto the ball.

Yeah AU is littered with those…Mario Fannin and Boobee Whitlow come to mind.

On 10/9/2023 at 1:51 AM, tigeraddikt said:

Funny thing about Rudi Johnson is that he was initially unknown to Tubberville’s 1st staff at AU. They were at Butler Community College in Kansas to recruit QB Daniel Cobb, but Rudi’s play for that same team stuck out so much that they offered him in ‘99 and his amazing 2000 run is history.

Yup. Identical story to Luper recruiting a WR at Blinn College, only to witness some surprise dude named Cam. How that “surprise” was unknown I’ve no clue, but thank you sweet baby Jesus. 

On 10/7/2023 at 6:26 AM, Tigerpro2a said:

So the first one I remember at all is James Bostic, but it is very vague.

You couldn’t see him on the radio? You didn’t aim your rabbit ears right. 

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2023 at 9:01 AM, Win4AU said:

Can you imagine Craig in that 2013 offense.  He would have won the Heisman.

Craig and Marshall were completely different QBs. Craig couldn’t have run the zone read and was much slower than Marshall.