Show your age…

Swamp Eagle

1971 my grandfather took me to the Auburn-Alabama freshman game in Auburn (who remembers those games?). Near halftime I looked over & Pat Sullivan & Terry Beasley were climbing the steps up the aisle past our seats headed to the pressbox to be part of the halftime show on the radio. I jumped up but couldn't get past the folks between me & the aisle to get to them before they passed us. Turns out those folks were Auburn students & 1 of them told me, "We'll stop him for you on his way back down." But then another of them said, "You ought to get his autograph, he's Terry Henley. And this is Roger Mitchell. And this is Bob Newton. And this is Bill Newton." Well, I went nuts! I got all those autographs, & just think what those guys did the following year after Pat was gone! I don't know that Terry is the 1st RB I remember, but he was my 1st favorite RB. On that particular day I didn't really know who Bob Newton was, but I would know later!!  :)  To add 1 more memory, a few years ago I spoke at a church in Martin, TN where I commented about being an Auburn grad. Afterward a woman came up to tell me she'd also graduated from Auburn & her brothers had played football at Auburn but, she said, I probably wouldn't know them, Bill & Bob Newton. I said, "Oh yes ma'am I know them! I know who blocked those punts!" And I told her about getting their autographs. That was so much fun!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

1996 is the first AU season I can remember vividly. Markeith Cooper and Rusty Williams!

• Like 1

So the first one I remember at all is James Bostic, but it is very vague. I remember watching Bo with the Raiders and I knew he played at AU but was I was an 85 model. Bostic is the first I remember, and Stephen Davis is the one I remember being an actual avid fan and watching if that makes sense. 

Edited by Tigerpro2a

12 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Loved Terry’s grit and don’t mean to diminish him in any way, but what stats do you find so exceptional?

830 some odd yards and 94ypg doesn’t sound like much but all SEC worthy in 72. Guessing Terry ran a 5.1 or 5.2 forty so pretty amazing. 

Exceptional stat is enjoying a weekend in Auburn and only spending $2.00.

Recall running into his brother Mike at halftime of 89 Bammer when we were down 14-10. He was smiling ear to ear explaining how we had them just were we wanted them.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

830 some odd yards and 94ypg doesn’t sound like much but all SEC worthy in 72. Guessing Terry ran a 5.1 or 5.2 forty so pretty amazing. 

Exceptional stat is enjoying a weekend in Auburn and only spending $2.00.

Recall running into his brother Mike at halftime of 89 Bammer when we were down 14-10. He was smiling ear to ear explaining how we had them just were we wanted them.

He was a workhorse and what that offense needed. Led the conference in carries, 15th in ypc. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/sec/1972-rushing.html

My point was trying to understand what was meant by this statement:

IMG_8244.jpeg

• Like 1

Bo Jackson.

I remember visiting my sister when she was a student (1983-1985, not exactly which year).

We were driving around campus as she showed me different things and places and I would see cars that had writing on their windows saying "GO BO"  "RUN BO RUN", etc. I was thinking who the heck is Bo? (I was almost exclusively into the NFL at that time.) Needless to say, it didn't take me long to know who Bo was.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

He was a workhorse and what that offense needed. Led the conference in carries, 15th in ypc. 

IMG_8244.jpeg

Good point. LP usually good with words but I would never consider Terry a freak. Just a hard nosed solid player that loved Auburn and the game.

Wouldn’t even consider Bo or Hershel “ freaks”, just special. Heard Dye say that when Bo got to campus he called Dooley on advice in handling a “ special talent. Dooley told Dye to let him do what he wanted. Don’t think either player ever participated in weight room. Worked with a gentleman that played with Hershel. He said it was unbelievable the number of push up Walker would do daily with a defensive back sitting on him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

IMG_8244.jpeg

Terry was listed as 6' 188 in the 1972 program.   I suspect he was closer to 5'10" 175.   We scored just 22 TD's in 10 games, and Terry scored 11 of them.   He averaged 5 ypc, was all SEC, and I think he led the league in rushing in 72.   My admiration for him is colored by how much he loves Auburn and by how much he has given back to Auburn...

46 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Terry was listed as 6' 188 in the 1972 program.   I suspect he was closer to 5'10" 175.   We scored just 22 TD's in 10 games, and Terry scored 11 of them.   He averaged 5 ypc, was all SEC, and I think he led the league in rushing in 72.   My admiration for him is colored by how much he loves Auburn and by how much he has given back to Auburn...

He averaged 3.9 that year and was 3rd in total yards. Great Auburn man and tough as nails.

I knew his youngest brother, Vic. Good guy.

IMG_8245.jpeg

Bostic.  92 was the first year I actually watched a full game.  1993 I was all in.  Ive seen pretty much every game since.  It’s been a wild ride.

• Like 1

• Love 1

58 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Oh man I love this. I remember this game and still have my orange shadow Karsten Bailey #5 jersey

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Oh man I love this. I remember this game and still have my orange shadow Karsten Bailey #5 jersey

We got a classic KB drop highlight in this game too!!! 😂😂

• Haha 1

Mo Massengale.

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Can you imagine Craig in that 2013 offense.  He would have won the Heisman.

• Love 1