Show your age…

Swamp Eagle

Sitting in a dove field as my Dad's bird dog (I was too young to carry a gun) with his leather covered radio listening to Secdrick McIntyre get carry after carry!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Bo’s the obvious one for my generation but the first I really remember … like knew what was going on (sorta) is Stacy Danley.  Him, Reggie Slack and Alexander Wright we’re really my first taste of Auburn Football as an 80s kid.

So you are a youngster. I have Auburn hats, jackets, sweatshirts, and underwear older than you. Brilliant move pulling Golf in to run this ship straight.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Sitting in a dove field as my Dad's bird dog (I was too young to carry a gun) with his leather covered radio listening to Secdrick McIntyre get carry after carry!

Football on the radio was awesome!  The college recap show on Sunday was almost all of the television we had back in the day.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

First Auburn RB in your memory.

I’ll start: Terry Henley

So the Greater Birmingham Auburn Club just had their annual banquet.   Terry Henley was awarded the best athlete award...   He said he showed up for his official visit and:

1. Mac Crawford met him at Sewell Hall and gave him a $20 bill.   He said he left 2 days later with $18.

2. He said when he left on Sunday his pocket was full of "girls' numbers"  and "I knew I needed to have more of that."

3. At the very end of his speech he got VERY EMOTIONAL and said "I'll never give back what Auburn gave to me, and I am forever grateful.  I believe in work, hard work."

4.  Those who don't know should goggle Terry's stats.   He was a complete FREAK.   At least 5 guys from the 72 team were there for him.

• Like 4

Got my first shoulder pads from Terry Henley in Montgomery (and an autographed photo).

Wore those shoulder pads with a cut off Pat Sullivan jersey underneath for 5th through 8th grade.  I was the worst triple option QB in the history of football.

I still remember Mickey Zofko getting hurt on a kick return in his first NFL game.

Edited by icanthearyou
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

So the Greater Birmingham Auburn Club just had their annual banquet.   Terry Henley was awarded the best athlete award...   He said he showed up for his official visit and:

1. Mac Crawford met him at Sewell Hall and gave him a $20 bill.   He said he left 2 days later with $18.

2. He said when he left on Sunday his pocket was full of "girls' numbers"  and "I knew I needed to have more of that."

3. At the very end of his speech he got VERY EMOTIONAL and said "I'll never give back what Auburn gave to me, and I am forever grateful.  I believe in work, hard work."

4.  Those who don't know should goggle Terry's stats.   He was a complete FREAK.   At least 5 guys from the 72 team were there for him.

Loved Terry’s grit and don’t mean to diminish him in any way, but what stats do you find so exceptional?

27 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Loved Terry’s grit and don’t mean to diminish him in any way, but what stats do you find so exceptional?

I was wondering the same thing. He was a popular Auburn player, though. 

IMG_4180.jpeg

Edited by Swamp Eagle
  • Like 1

Bo Jackson. I was just a wee lad, and my dad took a few courses as a bammer, so I didn’t like Bo b/c my dad was trying to make me a bammer and it was the height of the BO KNOWS campaigns. Forgive me for my sins, Auburn faithful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mickey Zofko and Terry Henley from 1970.  1970 Auburn Alabama game was the first game I remember.  It was on the radio. 

Still have a picture with Terry Henley in the Auburn dressing room after the 1972 Georgia Game.  I was 9 years old.  Players were beating on their wooden lockers yelling "Go to Hell Alabama Go to Hell".  Great times.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

So you are a youngster. I have Auburn hats, jackets, sweatshirts, and underwear older than you. Brilliant move pulling Golf in to run this ship straight.

Don’t you think it’s time to get some new underwear? 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 2