Show your age…

Swamp Eagle

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Craig and Marshall were completely different QBs. Craig couldn’t have run the zone read and was much slower than Marshall.

Marshall ran a 4.54 40 yard dash at the NFL combine.  I had to do some digging but http://www.autigers.com/articles/960901_Craig.html this article states that Craig ran a sub 4.5.  So it sounds like Craig was faster.  I don’t think there’s any debate that Craig was a better passer.  I stand by my previous statement that Craig could have been just as dangerous if not more dangerous in the 2013 offense.

I remember seeing Ed Dyas play. I went to a game at what was then "Cliff Hare" stadium but Dyas was held out of the game because of a broken jaw. We lost that day. It was probably 1959 or !960. He became an orthopedic surgeon after his college football career.

I believe this image shows Ed Dyas (Auburn road whites) being chased by Pat Dye (#60) for UGA.

Football star turned doctor, Ed Dyas remembered as an Auburn ...

Edited by CodeRocket
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Marshall ran a 4.54 40 yard dash at the NFL combine.  I had to do some digging but http://www.autigers.com/articles/960901_Craig.html this article states that Craig ran a sub 4.5.  So it sounds like Craig was faster.  I don’t think there’s any debate that Craig was a better passer.  I stand by my previous statement that Craig could have been just as dangerous if not more dangerous in the 2013 offense.

Craig was far more dangerous as a passer. Marshall far more dangerous as a runner. 

Craig had very little lateral quickness. Marshall could stop on a dime and change directions like a squirrel. 

I don’t care what the article said…I’ve seen both in a full sprint as college QBs and it’s not even close. I watched Marshall outrun Landon Collins (All American and 33rd overall pick) 35 yards to the end zone. He could have outrun him another 35 yards if needed. I never recall Craig outrunning any DB more than 10 yards. He just wasn’t that fast. The few times he did abandon the pocket to run, it was because he had nothing but wide open green grass.

Gus would have used Craig similar to how he used Stidham, which was to play to his strengths, which was as a passer and seldom a runner. 

Would 2013 been a success with Craig? Sure…Craig was a good passer, but Gus’ offenses have rarely thrived with a pocket passer. When Gus had to rely on Stidham to move the ball, it was iffy at best…reference the Clemson game. They were more successful in 2017 because of Kerryon moving it on the ground. Post-Kerryon, Gus didn’t have as much success with Stidham, unless you’re solely going off the Purdue game, which was an anomaly in 2018.  

I’d say 2013 regular season ends with around 9 wins with Craig. The offense still would have been successful, but because of Mason. We all know Gus rode great RBs to death and it would have been no different in 2013, regardless if Marshall or Craig, so no, Craig would not have been a Heisman candidate under Gus. He was far more suited in Bowden’s passing offense than Gus’ zone read offense. Plus Craig had better WRs in 96 & 97 than Marshall did in 2013 & 2014.

6 hours ago, Viper said:

You couldn’t see him on the radio? You didn’t aim your rabbit ears right. 

Man I still smh at the NCAA “punishing” everybody who had nothing to do with Eric Ramsey by keeping an 11-0 team off TV.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Win4AU said:

D. Craig was every bit as fast as Nick Marshall in his prime. He just didn’t play in a system (Jimbo/Tater) that took full advantage of his legs. But then again, different day, different game. The only D. Craig contemporaries I can think of that did take advantage of speed at the QB position were Tommie Frazier and Michael Vick.

9 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Yeah AU is littered with those…Mario Fannin and Boobee Whitlow come to mind.

In ‘75, Secdrick McIntyre couldn’t hold his breath, much less the football…😆

Dude had a great Sophomore season, but shat the bed in ‘75.  I think it was the Baylor game in ‘75 that ended in a 10-10 tie; he fumbled crossing the goal line that would have been the difference in the game.

21 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Craig wasn't a sub 4.5 guy

• Like 1

This forum is actually a little older than I thought, it makes a little more sense now

Edited by cole256
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

Tucker Frederickson and Larry Rawson. Both were tough as nails and inflicted pain on would-be tacklers. They also clear-cut defenders for Jimmy Sidle on on the QB sweep. 

• Like 3

On 10/12/2023 at 11:24 AM, cole256 said:

This forum is actually a little older than I thought, it makes a little more sense now

So who was the first Auburn RB in your memory?

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 8:33 PM, Jgarrett7 said:

Rudi Johnson was the first tailback I have vivid memories of along with heath evans at fb. 

I thought I would be the 1st to mention Heath, but you beat me to it. 

I saw Bo at Raiders Saints game, but didn't know he had played for AU. Heath was the 1st AU RB I saw in person. I still can't believe he was a starter before Rudi got there through whatever they called the transfer portal back then. 

On 10/12/2023 at 10:24 AM, cole256 said:

LOL, it explains all the wisdom in here right :)

• Haha 1

On 10/9/2023 at 7:08 AM, augolf1716 said:

Hold on now Bobby was one scary dude. Did you ever see Bobby in person

Yes, I was probably in 4/5 grade and had just started attending games with my parents.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

POV Oldest Forum Member:

I remember when ole Moses took the rock right around Pharaoh at right end, made a man miss, and took it 20 yards for the score. Man oh man. Those were the days. 

Yep 

And that 40 year probation was rough...

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/12/2023 at 10:24 AM, cole256 said:

Don’t take your inadequacies out on the rest of us.

Edited by Swamp Eagle

5 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

POV Oldest Forum Member:

I remember when ole Moses took the rock right around Pharaoh at right end, made a man miss, and took it 20 yards for the score. Man oh man. Those were the days. 

Alright, Golf! Quit playing and sign out of PTB's account .

Not cool, man

On 10/6/2023 at 5:57 PM, AURex said:

hahaha ya'll be babies. When I was a kid, I'd watch football with my dad on TV. I remember the great Tucker Frederickson, all 6'2" 220 lbs plowing down defenders. That man could ball !!

Tucker also played safety and returned punts. A 3-way guy.

On 10/13/2023 at 2:57 PM, passthebiscuits said:

POV Oldest Forum Member:

Are you talking about Harry Mose? LOL

• Like 1