Is it a bad look that we always fire coordinators?

TeamZero77

The common denominator is no OL. The Herb Hand hire began the death spiral.  It is impossible to coordinate an offense that requires pass protection with the talent we have had on the OL.  If we had any pass protection Bo would have looked fine at QB and we would have been able to recruit WRs. Extending Gus after the Hand hire and the deterioration of our offensive recruiting killed the program.
Hugh Freeze’s offense looks as bad as i have ever witnessed.  Everyone knows you cant win playing 2 QB - everyone.  Yet here we are.  Might as well bring caddy back as HC.  At least they would play hard for belief in the HC.  Steele’s offense would not be this bad.  It is horrible.

25 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

The common denominator is no OL. The Herb Hand hire began the death spiral.  It is impossible to coordinate an offense that requires pass protection with the talent we have had on the OL.  If we had any pass protection Bo would have looked fine at QB and we would have been able to recruit WRs. Extending Gus after the Hand hire and the deterioration of our offensive recruiting killed the program.
Hugh Freeze’s offense looks as bad as i have ever witnessed.  Everyone knows you cant win playing 2 QB - everyone.  Yet here we are.  Might as well bring caddy back as HC.  At least they would play hard for belief in the HC.  Steele’s offense would not be this bad.  It is horrible.

FWIW, Gus dictated who HH could recruit 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

FWIW, Gus dictated who HH could recruit 

Hey Bird. What are you hearing about Freeze's commitment to the 2 qb system and why the erratic switching them in and out? I believe he is an offense guru so it makes even less sense to me. 

37 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

Florida did it. Cant remember which year but Leak and Tebow. Of course they didn't swap them out using a wheel of fortune device.

1 hour ago, penguin149 said:

We should have fired Harsin for cause with a reduced buyout....incompetence is a cause.

I think our current staff knew the passing game was crap as early as the Samford game.  We could have run all night long but we chose to work on the passing game....and it still stunk.  I watch others teams (& think of Mike Leach) that dink and dunk then finish games with 250+ yards passing, yet we refuse to do that.  Very frustrating!

He ain’t wrong, folks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aubie17 said:

Hey Bird. What are you hearing about Freeze's commitment to the 2 qb system and why the erratic switching them in and out? I believe he is an offense guru so it makes even less sense to me. 

He'd prefer to have one that can do it all. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

He'd prefer to have one that can do it all. 

Why the switching them back and forth mid drive so much? It seems to kill momentum most times. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@KillenTime And in some cases Gus did the recruiting himself without letting HH be involved.

Herb had just got fired at penn st for nearly getting their QB killed. Led the country in sacks, got fired and gus hired him. It was the death nail. And he was dumb enough to hire him again at ucf.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gman87 said:

Florida did it. Cant remember which year but Leak and Tebow. Of course they didn't swap them out using a wheel of fortune device.

They did but that is one in 100’s. Most aren’t stupid enough to try it. 

7 hours ago, aubie17 said:

Why the switching them back and forth mid drive so much? It seems to kill momentum most times. 

I think that's where everyone is.  No one can really explain why but we all see it ain't working. 

4 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Why was Harsin so bad..

Outside of recruiting... That is

Don't want to derail this too badly, but... 

As one of his longest proponents. He was a legit POS.  Period.  Terrible husband, father, mentor, ambassador, and I'd be hard pressed to call him a coach.  He may have read a lot of books on coaching but he's not close to my belief in what a coach is.

Personal aside, he had a lot of... What we'll call tendencies that shouldn't fly in today's world. 

@augolf1716 thoughts? 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

As one of his longest proponents. He was a legit POS.  Period.  Terrible husband, father, mentor, ambassador, and I'd be hard pressed to call him a coach.  He may have read a lot of books on coaching but he's not close to my belief in what a coach is.

Personal aside, he had a lot of... What we'll call tendencies that shouldn't fly in today's world. 

@augolf1716 thoughts? 

I would love to hear the extended version of this post.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

@augolf1716 thoughts? 

You covered it pretty well I'll add he has some unusual family value beliefs. How he made it this far in coaching is amazing.......

He had me fooled

• Thanks 1

I watched the Charlotte - FAU game last night and it was ironic and entertaining to listen to Andre Ware rip the 2-qb system multiple times...."it never works".   He did NOT hold back his opinion...

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

I watched the Charlotte - FAU game last night and it was ironic and entertaining to listen to Andre Ware rip the 2-qb system multiple times...."it never works".   He did NOT hold back his opinion...

Freeze knows this too but still wants to do it. It is what it is . 

I am semi-retired now (I work as a substitute Teacher for Wylie ISD) from my IT job of the last 28 years. I coached youth football so am not realy qualified to coach college football but would gladly take an OC jon for a a paltry 1 million a year with a three year guarnteed contract so that I could be fired due to my incompetence.  But because I love Auburn I will talk with Saban and see if he will hire me for that other team. 

That way I can kill two birds with one stone mess up bama with my coaching expertise and put a nice nest egg at the expense of bama boosters.  

What is great I even save Auburn the money from another bad OC/DC decision by allowing bama to have my less then stellar skill set. 

LOL 

PS - Unlike most of our posters while I have opinions I know that just about any College football or High School coach knows more about the game then I do

Edited by AuburnNTexas

15 hours ago, aubie17 said:

Most switching seems to take place when he sees the one thats in making a glaring mistake.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 5:54 PM, bigbird said:

@Malcolm_FleX48

We'd have a hell of a team! 

I know I'm late seeing this but I guarantee that you would.

Had the honor of coaching Youth football and the TITE Spill Defense is a wonder.

Ran it out of a 3-2-6 look. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I know I'm late seeing this but I guarantee that you would.

Had the honor of coaching Youth football and the TITE Spill Defense is a wonder.

Ran it out of a 3-2-6 look. 

Nice!  Clog the run and fill the spill 

The 2015 Katy defense ran a lot, if not all, out of the 3-2-6, and it was unbelievable 

Here's a great write up.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2016/3/21/11264258/the-best-texas-high-school-defense-in-history-Katy-Tigers

• Love 1

I think Montgomery is totally toast at the end of the season. Not so sure about the DC. Besides this game and against LSU, the D has played well.

• Like 1