Vandy post game thread

TitanTiger

Oline didn't get push and passing game was all over the place. Defense was great. Gave up 8 points, got pushed around some in the 4th but didn't break. Pass rush was existent for a change. Thorne was sharp other than one (huge) mistake. His numbers would look a lot better if our receivers didn't have the drops.

Hunter was the star of the show and, along with the defense, was the reason Auburn won. Hunter was what you expect a star to be, spectacular.

For this team to win at Arky, the offense will have to put it together. Hogs can and should put up respectable points (20ish). It will take more than one quarter of offense + 2 big runs to beat them.

19 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Our offense is so inconsistent.  We had 14 possessions today.   11 of them were 5 plays or less (2 were TD drives).   The inability to sustain drives stresses your defense.   We get into a rut of run on first down for no gain.  Run on second down for loss of 2.  Throw on third down and we cant block it up.     When we go tempo and throw on the early downs we get really efficient particularly when we leave our butter fingers on the sideline.  When we try to play big boy football in early downs, we don't do so well.   In the first half, we ran it 7 times on first down for a total of 14 yards.  The longest was a thorn run for 6.  

This isn't really accurate.

First as you say, it's not really cognizant of what happened on the field to count the 2 drives that were less than 5 plays when Hunter ripped off runs of 67 and 56 yds for TDs on them.

But second, the notion that we got into any kind of rut running on 1st and 2nd down isn't true.  Here are our 1st and 2nd down plays for the game (in some cases I added 3rd or 4th down for context).  The first play listed is 1st down, then second one is 2nd down and so on.  The line space between starts the downs over.

Also, if it was a run play for Thorne I labeled it "rush."  If he dropped back to pass but had to run because of the rush or the WRs were covered, it's a scramble (not a called running play in other words).

Thorne rush 8 yds
Hunter rush 67 yds, TD

Hunter rush -2 yds
Thorne pass 0 yds

Thorne pass incomplete
Battie rush 0 yds

Thorne pass 9 yds
Hunter rush 56 yds, TD

Cobb rush -1 yds
Hunter rush 0 yds
Thorne pass incomplete

Hunter rush 3 yds
Hunter rush 0 yds
Thorne pass, pick six Vandy

Thorne pass 0 yds
Thorne pass -5 yds
Thorne scramble 4 yds

Thorne pass incomplete
Thorne pass 11 yds

Thorne pass incomplete
Battie rush 3 yds
Thorne pass 9 yds

Thorne sacked -2 yds, holding penalty AU
Thorne pass incomplete (this was the long pass Kelly dropped that would have been a sure TD)

Hunter rush 1 yd
Thorne scrambled 0 yds
Thorne pass 8 yds
Hunter rush 4 yds

Thorne scramble 3 yds
Thorne pass 3 yds
Thorne pass 23 yds

Hunter rush 3 yds, TD, chop block penalty AU

Hunter rush 2 yds
Thorne scramble 2 yds
Thorne pass incomplete
Auburn FG

Hunter rush 5 yds
Hunter rush 1 yd
Thorne pass incomplete, pass interference Vandy, AU 1st down

Thorne pass 53 yds, TD

Thorne pass incomplete
Thorne pass 5 yds
Thorne pass 39 yds

Thorne pass 9 yds
Hunter rush 4 yds

Hunter rush 2 yds
Thorne pass 5 yds, TD

Thorne pass 16 yds

Alston rush 2 yds, holding penalty AU

Thorne pass incomplete
Alston rush 6 yds
Thorne pass incomplete

Hunter rush 24 yds

Thorne pass - 5 yds
Thorne sacked

Thorne rush 13 yds

Hunter rush 1 yd
Hunter rush -3 yds

Hunter rush 2 yds
Hunter rush 8 yds, TD called back, holding AU
Thorne rush 5 yds
Thorne kneel

I count 5 drives where we ran on 1st and 2nd down and one of those was the final one with under 2 mins to play and the ball on Vandy's 10.  Should have been a TD in not for a lame holding call.  So really 4 that mattered.  Only two of those happened on back to back 1st downs.  And one was the first drive where Thorne ran on 1st and Hunter took it 67 yds for a TD on 2nd.  So really, 3 that mattered.  Hardly a "rut."  

• Like 1

I was hoping to see us score 40+ on an SEC team. I miss those days. A win is a win though. Don’t feel as good about Arkansas now. Man having to fight tooth and nail to get a bowl bid is depressing. I hope this is the last year of this nonsense . I miss feeling like we had a shot at the SEC west.

15 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

First as you say, it's not really cognizant of what happened on the field to count the 2 drives that were less than 5 plays when Hunter ripped off runs of 67 and 56 yds for TDs on them.

But second, the notion that we got into any kind of rut running on 1st and 2nd down isn't true.  Here are our 1st and 2nd down plays for the game (in some cases I added 3rd or 4th down for context).  The first play listed is 1st down, then second one is 2nd down and so on.  The line space between starts the downs over.

Also, if it was a run play for Thorne I labeled it "rush."  If he dropped back to pass but had to run because of the rush or the WRs were covered, it's a scramble (not a called running play in other words).

Thorne rush 8 yds
Hunter rush 67 yds, TD

Hunter rush -2 yds
Thorne pass 0 yds

Thorne pass incomplete
Battie rush 0 yds

Thorne pass 9 yds
Hunter rush 56 yds, TD

Cobb rush -1 yds
Hunter rush 0 yds
Thorne pass incomplete

Hunter rush 3 yds
Hunter rush 0 yds

Thorne pass 0 yds
Thorne pass -5 yds
Thorne scramble 4 yds

Thorne pass incomplete
Thorne pass 11 yds

Thorne pass incomplete
Battie rush 3 yds
Thorne pass 9 yds

Thorne pass incomplete (this was the long pass Kelly dropped that would have been a sure TD)

Hunter rush 1 yd
Thorne scrambled 0 yds
Thorne pass 8 yds
Hunter rush 4 yds

Thorne scramble 3 yds
Thorne pass 3 yds
Thorne pass 23 yds

Hunter rush 2 yds
Thorne scramble 2 yds
Thorne pass incomplete
Auburn FG

Hunter rush 5 yds
Hunter rush 1 yd

Thorne pass 53 yds, TD

Thorne pass incomplete
Thorne pass 5 yds
Thorne pass 39 yds

Thorne pass 9 yds
Hunter rush 4 yds

Hunter rush 2 yds
Thorne pass 5 yds, TD

Thorne pass 16 yds

Thorne pass incomplete
Alston rush 6 yds
Thorne pass incomplete

Hunter rush 24 yds

Thorne pass - 5 yds
Thorne sacked

Thorne rush 13 yds

Hunter rush 1 yd
Hunter rush -3 yds

Hunter rush 2 yds
Thorne rush 5 yds
Thorne kneel

I count 5 drives where we ran on 1st and 2nd down and one of those was the final one with under 2 mins to play and the ball on Vandy's 10.  Should have been a TD in not for a lame holding call.  So really 4 that mattered.  Only two of those happened on back to back 1st downs.  And one was the first drive where Thorne ran on 1st and Hunter took it 67 yds for a TD on 2nd.  So really, 3 that mattered.  Hardly a "rut."  

Take a break, bud. You’re holding on too tight…🤣

12 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Take a break, bud. You’re holding on too tight…🤣

What I’m seeing here is we should have blown their ship out of the water if not for ourselves. 

35 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Thorne rush 8 yds
Hunter rush 67 yds, TD

Hunter rush -2 yds
Thorne pass 0 yds

Thorne pass incomplete
Battie rush 0 yds

Thorne pass 9 yds
Hunter rush 56 yds, TD

Cobb rush -1 yds
Hunter rush 0 yds
Thorne pass incomplete

Hunter rush 3 yds
Hunter rush 0 yds

Thorne pass 0 yds
Thorne pass -5 yds
Thorne scramble 4 yds

Thorne pass incomplete
Thorne pass 11 yds

Thorne pass incomplete
Battie rush 3 yds
Thorne pass 9 yds

Hunter rush 1 yd
Thorne scrambled 0 yds
Thorne pass 8 yds
Hunter rush 4 yds

Thorne scramble 3 yds
Thorne pass 3 yds
Thorne pass 23 yds

Hunter rush 2 yds
Thorne scramble 2 yds
Thorne pass incomplete
Auburn FG

Hunter rush 5 yds
Hunter rush 1 yd

Thorne pass 53 yds, TD

Thorne pass incomplete
Thorne pass 5 yds
Thorne pass 39 yds

Thorne pass 9 yds
Hunter rush 4 yds

Hunter rush 2 yds
Thorne pass 5 yds, TD

Thorne pass 16 yds

Thorne pass incomplete
Alston rush 6 yds
Thorne pass incomplete

Hunter rush 24 yds

Thorne pass - 5 yds
Thorne sacked

Thorne rush 13 yds

Hunter rush 1 yd
Hunter rush -3 yds

Hunter rush 2 yds
Thorne rush 5 yds
Thorne kneel

Wow.  

Not to go into that much detail to make a point but I saw a team today on both sides of the ball that looked brilliant and spastic at times.  Often on the same play.  

I shouldn’t care so much and just enjoy the win.  At least I didn’t have to break down game film to voice my view.  

4 minutes ago, Shift said:

Wins against consistent bottom feeders is not what I consider to be improvement.  We still have a long way to go. 

Agreed.  A VERY LONG WAY TO GO.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I don’t see how we beat Arky. Watched them play Florida today. KJ and Rocket are built to expose our front 7.

This.

AU will not win. I have zero confidence in winning at Fayetteville. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shift said:

Wins against consistent bottom feeders is not what I consider to be improvement.  We still have a long way to go. 

Considering that we were losing to those (at least comparable) bottom feeders, this by definition is improvement. Is it enough? Maybe, maybe not. But we have equalled our win total from last year, a total, I will remind you, that included a total gift of a win vs Mizzou. We will be at least 1 game better, arguably 2, and potentially 3 with a bowl. 

It's okay to want more improvement, but incremental gains are gains nonetheless. Not saying you have to enjoy them, but at least acknowledge them.

Edit to add: I'm not saying it's not marginal improvement. It's like...step 2 of 10. 

Edited by Auctoritas
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Shift said:

Yes , but it’s SEC wins. I’m a hard Ass too man. It sucks being excited to beat vandy or state . AU has been bad for years now. It’s exhausting 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I don’t see how we beat Arky. Watched them play Florida today. KJ and Rocket are built to expose our front 7.

Can we expect KJ to turn pro? I'd rather this be our last year of dealing with him!

44 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

What I’m seeing here is we should have blown their ship out of the water if not for ourselves. 

What I’m seeing is a very undisciplined, inconsistent staff and team, right now.  I think it will improve, but it’s no fun waiting for it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dwayne Pride said:

Wow.  

Not to go into that much detail to make a point but I saw a team today on both sides of the ball that looked brilliant and spastic at times.  Often on the same play.  

I shouldn’t care so much and just enjoy the win.  At least I didn’t have to break down game film to voice my view.  

Literally just scrolled through the plays on a sports app.

But you know, if it's that bothersome to you, scrolling by is free and takes no time at all.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

He wasn't perfect.  QBs rarely are.   But if Kelley catches the ball Thorne has 3 TDs.  If half the drops are caught he is at 250-275 yards.

I think some folks are fixating on the interception. It didn’t look good. But at the same time, I thought that was one of the few bad calls of the game. Backed up with our heels on the goal line, and we try a shallow smash play? I would’ve been conservative there. We had a 2 score lead and our defense was playing well. Run some kind of a short rpo behind the line of scrimmage. If the receiver or running back make the first down, cool. If not, be willing to just punt the ball. Better option than trying to pass out of a third and long where we were. I think Thorne was feeling some pressure to get things going again offensively, and that’s not a situation where you want to call a high risk passing play.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

I think some folks are fixating on the interception. It didn’t look good. But at the same time, I thought that was one of the few bad calls of the game. Backed up with our heels on the goal line, and we try a shallow smash play? I would’ve been conservative there. We had a 2 score lead and our defense was playing well. Run some kind of a short rpo behind the line of scrimmage. If the receiver or running back make the first down, cool. If not, be willing to just punt the ball. Better option than trying to pass out of a third and long where we were. I think Thorne was feeling some pressure to get things going again offensively, and that’s not a situation where you want to call a high risk passing play.

And 13 made zero effort to come back to the ball.   I wish we could reset to game 1 and express total confidence in Thorne and give him the reins.   I think we would have another win, maybe 2.  

• Like 4