Vandy post game thread

TitanTiger

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I was hoping to see us score 40+ on an SEC team. I miss those days. A win is a win though. Don’t feel as good about Arkansas now. Man having to fight tooth and nail to get a bowl bid is depressing. I hope this is the last year of this nonsense . I miss feeling like we had a shot at the SEC west.

Only 2 teams have put up 40 on vandy this year. They aren’t good, but Lea has them playing inspired enough not to crack. As a result, they’ve played a lot of teams closer than comfortable this year. Our score was actually very close to UGA’s against Vandy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

And 13 made zero effort to come back to the ball.   I wish we could reset to game 1 and express total confidence in Thorne and give him the reins.   I think we would have another win, maybe 2.  

Exactly. Do not feel bad at all about or chances upcoming. 

42 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Considering that we were losing to those (at least comparable) bottom feeders, this by definition is improvement. Is it enough? Maybe, maybe not. But we have equalled our win total from last year, a total, I will remind you, that included a total gift of a win vs Mizzou. We will be at least 1 game better, arguably 2, and potentially 3 with a bowl. 

It's okay to want more improvement, but incremental gains are gains nonetheless. Not saying you have to enjoy them, but at least acknowledge them.

Edit to add: I'm not saying it's not marginal improvement. It's like...step 2 of 10. 

Potentially 3 + a bowl, depending on whether we’ve peaked versus continue to grow. In years that we’ve lost in Jordan hare, the iron bowl has always been close aside from 2 seasons… 2001 and 2011. Every other year in Auburn it’s either been an outright win or a close loss. We shouldn’t be favored or expect a win, but we should never call an iron bowl out of reach in Auburn. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Only 2 teams have put up 40 on vandy this year. They aren’t good, but Lea has them playing inspired enough not to crack. As a result, they’ve played a lot of teams closer than comfortable this year. Our score was actually very close to UGA’s against Vandy.

And UGA got them at home.

Though I will say, that stadium was at least 60% Auburn fans today.

8 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

And 13 made zero effort to come back to the ball.   I wish we could reset to game 1 and express total confidence in Thorne and give him the reins.   I think we would have another win, maybe 2.  

Also true. It wasn’t the best read. But a good receiver still grabs that ball from the DB.

• Like 1

When I was a teenage tennis player, I wanted to hit winners on every point. Which, BTW, is so hard that even Djokovic can't do it. Nonetheless, I tried. My dad told me once that I won all the points in a match, but the problem was I won a lot of them for my opponent by going for big shots & missing. So, I had to learn not to score points for my opponent. The 1st step toward winning is don't beat myself. I had to learn the value of eliminating unforced errors & playing smart before trying to play great. I got really good at doing so (I once played a match at Auburn where I had 1 unforced error for the entire match), & it showed in the win column. All of that is to say that I find the unforced errors this team makes (drops, penalties, poor decisions, defensive busts, etc.) to be beyond frustrating. I don't know if we can beat the Hogs in Fayetteville if we play a cleaner, smarter game. But I know we cannot beat them if we make unforced errors & play stupid. Every week this season I've hoped this game would be the one where we play cleaner & smarter. After 9 weeks, my hope is pretty faint. More like a wish...

• Like 2
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

When you've seen this team struggle against the likes of San Jose State and Georgia State while losing to s***ty Arkansas, MSU, and South Carolina teams (and being gifted a win over a s***ty Mizzou) the last two years, it's improvement.  Incremental, sure, but it's improvement.

Yes, we have a long way to go...to be competing at the top.  But this team looked like hot garbage for 7 weeks and is starting to make a little noise and look coherent again.  No need to piss on it.

NMSU is decent, so hopefully we don't have a close call there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shift said:

Wins against consistent bottom feeders is not what I consider to be improvement.  We still have a long way to go. 

Keep in mind that, presently, we’re in bottom-feeder area ourselves.

• Like 2

Just my humble opinion, but it does appear that our D line is improving. We know Marcus Harris is stout but it seems like several of the other guys are playing harder and with better technique. We aren’t blessed with a lot of talent up there but Coach Garrett seems to be doing a nice job with his group. Better play with our LBs too since Keys came back. 

I am curious about some ‘disappearing’ players: We saw Woodward, Sings, and Shorter early in the year but they’ve gone AWOL. Anyone know if they’re still with the team?

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm just droppin' facts.

But your facts don’t match how “he feels” or “his opinions” so you need to take a break. 😂

I just got home.  I feel like other than the pic 6 this game went as well as could be expected.  My nit picking would be too many swing passes and not enough down the field passes.  That being said 4 and 19 both dropped long bombs that would have been TDs.  Offense is dialed in.  Time for Arkansas 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

When you've seen this team struggle against the likes of San Jose State and Georgia State while losing to s***ty Arkansas, MSU, and South Carolina teams (and being gifted a win over a s***ty Mizzou) the last two years, it's improvement.  Incremental, sure, but it's improvement.

Yes, we have a long way to go...to be competing at the top.  But this team looked like hot garbage for 7 weeks and is starting to make a little noise and look coherent again.  No need to piss on it.

Agree! It’s like we’re coming off of two or three years of probation with huge scholarship limitations, with a completely new coaching staff and we’re already headed to a bowl game.  

Cheer up folks, we are improving!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm just droppin' facts.

Come on. You are obviously all in on Freeze. That's perfectly fine, but why not be honest about it?

Just now, cbo said:

Come on. You are obviously all in on Freeze. That's perfectly fine, but why not be honest about it?

In what way is this remotely applicable to the post I made?

49 minutes ago, AUwent said:

NMSU is decent, so hopefully we don't have a close call there.

Not really. They have a good record but the teams they have beaten are awful. Every team they have beaten has a losing record and they lost to UMass in the first game of the season.  

• Like 1

Just now, nurbis said:

Not really. They have a good record but the teams they have beaten are awful. Every team they have beaten has a losing record and they lost to UMass in the first game of the season.  

Yeah that last bit was encouraging ha.

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

In what way is this remotely applicable to the post I made?

Because you said "I am just dropping facts." Which would be the opposite of being biased. But you clearly are. It's ok, I am too. 

4 minutes ago, cbo said:

Because you said "I am just dropping facts." Which would be the opposite of being biased. But you clearly are. It's ok, I am too. 

No, you're just spouting off without actually following the conversation.  This was the post that I was "dropping facts" about:

https://www.aufamily.com/topic/189980-vandy-post-game-thread/?do=findComment&comment=3813428

The post wasn't really about Freeze.  It was a direct response to someone's characterization of the play calling and how it flowed in game.  It was straight data.

If you want to take issue with that, fine.  But saying "you're biased" isn't an argument.

• Like 1