Not-So-Super Dome

Boonan

We know the Saints won't be back in the super dome for some time to come, maybe not even this year at all... but what about the Sugar Bowl???? What the heck are they going to do if things don't get back to somethign resembling normal?

We know the Saints won't be back in the super dome for some time to come, maybe not even this year at all... but what about the Sugar Bowl???? What the heck are they going to do if things don't get back to somethign resembling normal?

177340[/snapback]

Death Valley. :lsu::o

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/foot...ts.ap/index.htm

Bowl Championship Series spokesman Bob Burda said Sugar Bowl officials hope to meet within the next few weeks to talk about what to do with the game scheduled for Jan. 2 in the Superdome.

"It's just too early on their end to even speculate," said Burda, adding that bowl officials had been in contact with BCS coordinator Kevin Weiberg.

It's unlikely officials would want to let the Sugar Bowl leave Louisiana, even for just a year. Independence Stadium, home of the Independence Bowl, in Shreveport has been renovated in recent years and holds about 53,000. Tiger Stadium could also be a plausible option, with a capacity of almost 92,000.

B

I was thinking the same thing about Tiger Stadium. But my question is about the Saints. What in the world are they going to do? I figured that they would play in Tiger Stadium because it's the only thing in LA that could accommodate an NFL team, but that would suck for Tiger Stadium staff and stuff to have a game on Saturday and again on Sunday.

This hurricane has had so many impacts on so many things, so many things not even close to football. My prayers are with everyone affected.

One thing to consider when thinking about a bowl location is tourism. I doubt they move the Sugar Bowl to Baton Rouge....I say they are more likely to move the Sugar bowl to Atlanta or some stadium in Texas before Baton Rouge.

first off, i don't care where they play the sugar bowl. the superdome should be last on the list of things to do in new orleans. last. when you're talking about the saints, go ahead and throw birmingham into the mix. john clayton just mentioned legion field as a possible home for the saints this year. baton rouge isn't an option. that's natural grass. it's one thing to have multiple games on an artificial surface like a dome; it's just not possible to expect grass to hold up through two games in back to back days. won't happen. i'd guess the top places are san antonio, shreveport, and birmingham.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Heard on the radio this morning that the NFL offices had been talking to Gene Hallman about the possibility of the Saints at Legion Field. Don't hold your breath on that one, folks. Legion Field has really gone down hill since the Tide rolled out of town and with the reduced seating capacity now that the upper deck is gone, don't count on NFL games in the Tragic City anytime soon.

Archived