Quick question about gas?

HomanAU

yeah, liberal regulation is the reason gas prices are so high. nothing to do with the fact that china's demand for oil has more than tripled since 2001. nothing to do with the fact that demand for oil since 01 has risen at a faster rate than production of oil worldwide. nothing to do with the fact that the u.s. has become doubled it's imported oil amounts since the early 90s (domestic sources were more than 50% in 1990, they now make up 42%). nothing to do with the fact that we just lost between 10-20% of our oil refinery capacity for an undetermined amount of time. nothing to do with the temporary hiatus the hurricane caused in pipeline distribution that services the eastern seaboard... you started out talking about market economic which made perfect sense. then you slipped into some sort of neo conservative rhetoric that is beyond nonsensical. what you wanna go into the alaska to drill more? i've seen estimates that say alaska can produce around 800 million bbl. a year... we use that much oil in about 3 months. it's not a solution. it's putting a bandaid on a cut 5 inches deep.

yeah, liberal regulation is the reason gas prices are so high. nothing to do with the fact that china's demand for oil has more than tripled since 2001. nothing to do with the fact that demand for oil since 01 has risen at a faster rate than production of oil worldwide. nothing to do with the fact that the u.s. has become doubled it's imported oil amounts since the early 90s (domestic sources were more than 50% in 1990, they now make up 42%). nothing to do with the fact that we just lost between 10-20% of our oil refinery capacity for an undetermined amount of time. nothing to do with the temporary hiatus the hurricane caused in pipeline distribution that services the eastern seaboard... you started out talking about market economic which made perfect sense. then you slipped into some sort of neo conservative rhetoric that is beyond nonsensical. what you wanna go into the alaska to drill more? i've seen estimates that say alaska can produce around 800 million bbl. a year... we use that much oil in about 3 months. it's not a solution. it's putting a bandaid on a cut 5 inches deep.

177493[/snapback]

Drilling wasn't really my point, as I said crude supply is not our problem. Our problem is refining capacity and distribution once we've imported the oil, or pumped it out of the ground ourselves.

I do think drilling in the Alaskan Wildlife reserve is a good idea. But, only as a small part of an overall stragtegy to reduce our depenence on foreighn sources of crude. We should also allow companies to drill offshore and find the oil we know is there. Once again, the envirnmentalists stand in our way.

Just got home today and i saw one gas staion that was out that had been was at 3.15 and the one across the street still had gas selling at 3.20 but no chaos like last night. I really live 30 miles from downtown were prices are a good bit higher. Only good thing i see in this is less atlanta traffic which a think alot of you have seen and carpooling = less emitions.

I moved to "atlanta" 7 years and 1 month ago and gas was 70cents average now it is 3+ dollars(almost 5x). Seems in the past once price go up they never make it all the way back down. What do you think?

When you put all the oil refineries in one spot (Gulf of Mexico) and then not let any new ones be built in the last 31 years then problems like this will arise. And what is the main cause of new refineries not being built, liberals voting no on their construction in such places as the coast of Maine.

there are plenty of viable places to put an oil refinery next to states that voted for president bush. plenty. so forgive me if i'm not terribly interested in the partisan blame game.

When you put all the oil refineries in one spot (Gulf of Mexico) and then not let any new ones be built in the last 31 years then problems like this will arise. And what is the main cause of new refineries not being built, liberals voting no on their construction in such places as the coast of Maine.

177514[/snapback]

I'm not familiar with the Maine issue, but why do they have to be built on the "coast" rather than a few miles inland?

My "guess" is that the oil barrons have used regulations as an excuse not to build new refineries and are waiting for a crisis so that they may get the regulations removed. I think it is time for the government to build refineries since the private industry won't. Another TVA type deal. Exxon's first quarter profits were $3 billion +. I think they could build a refinery to meet any regulation.

They have us right where they have planned for years, bent over a barrel, an oil barrel. It's time for government to take charge. Good thing we have an oil man in the White House, huh?

Right, because the government does a great job at what ever it takes over. Leave it in the hands of private industry, back off on the regulations. One volcano eruption produces more polution in air, land, and water than all of the fossil fuel related industry and transporation for the last 100 years.

It's garbage. The communist movement that fell out of favor over the last 30-50 years, has found itself a new movement...environmentalism. It's the same thing...it's all about slowing progress, removing individual responsiblity and making sure every body has equal "stuff."

I'll know more later this afternoon, and, needless to say, I'm not joyriding around, but as of yesterday, it was hard to find gas in Auburn/Opelika. I heard second-hand information that station after station were out..

(insert 90,000 people here)

That doesn't sound like a good recipe.

I'll know more later this afternoon, and, needless to say, I'm not joyriding around, but as of yesterday, it was hard to find gas in Auburn/Opelika.  I heard second-hand information that station after station were out..

177611[/snapback]

Even the Chevrons that must put gold in their gas are out. I rode around on my bike last night on fumes looking for a place. Thankfully, a tanker at Walmart was refilling their tank so I pulled in. And it was only 2.89! :angry: Its sad that 2.89 is low.

In response to a post above, I think the gas refineries are on the coast to minimize the transportation costs. It makes more sense and is cheaper to send oil from the Gulf to Pascagula or Memphis than say, Middle of Nowhere, New Mexico.

there are plenty of viable places to put an oil refinery next to states that voted for president bush. plenty. so forgive me if i'm not terribly interested in the partisan blame game.

177547[/snapback]

The fact of the matter is you can't get one permitted anywhere!

The bulk of the US refining capacity is on the Gulf Coast. I believe 25% around Houston alone. You take out any of them and it is going to make a significant impact on supply.

I agree that it is not a partisan problem but a US problem.

Right, because the government does a great job at what ever it takes over.  Leave it in the hands of private industry, back off on the regulations.  One volcano eruption produces more polution in air, land, and water than all of the fossil fuel related industry and transporation for the last 100 years.

It's garbage.  The communist movement that fell out of favor over the last 30-50 years, has found itself a new movement...environmentalism.  It's the same thing...it's all about slowing progress, removing individual responsiblity and making sure every body has equal "stuff."

177610[/snapback]

That's positive. Let's get rid of pollution controls. Let's get back to filthy water, ground and air. Hey, there's plenty of PCBs to go around. Want some for your flowers? Hey, Love is in the air, er, water that is, Love Canal. Man, how I long to breathe that leaded gas - and that lead paint was great - really took the edge off of those ADHD kids! I'll never forget those romantic nights walking along the Texas beach with my bride . . . and washing the tar balls off of my feet with gasoline the following day. Skeeters! Man, lets load up on DDT again and get rid of those pesky critters and the damn chicken hawks and bald eagles too! Hanford Washington, radioactive groundwater everywhere - if you need to drill a water well, don't use a devinin' rod, a Geigher counter is 100% accurate. Damn kid safety seats. Hell, we could stop the population explosion in the US if we'd get rid of them and those damn seat belts. Communists Gay b*****ds!! Left Wing Do-Gooders! How can we enjoy life with these intermeddlers???

Don't guess you'd reconsider your position? Didn't think so. *grin* But then, you'd actually have to think, wouldn't you?

My SUV get's horrible gas milage so 4 of us will be riding down to Auburn in my mom's seafoam green VW beetle. It's awful hard to look manly getting out of that thing. I took the flower decals off in a desperate attempt to salvage a tiny bit of my manhood. If you see 4 guys riding around in a green beetle please try to hold your laughter in until we are out of sight. Thanks. :)

I'll know more later this afternoon, and, needless to say, I'm not joyriding around, but as of yesterday, it was hard to find gas in Auburn/Opelika.  I heard second-hand information that station after station were out..

177611[/snapback]

Even the Chevrons that must put gold in their gas are out. I rode around on my bike last night on fumes looking for a place. Thankfully, a tanker at Walmart was refilling their tank so I pulled in. And it was only 2.89! :angry: Its sad that 2.89 is low.

In response to a post above, I think the gas refineries are on the coast to minimize the transportation costs. It makes more sense and is cheaper to send oil from the Gulf to Pascagula or Memphis than say, Middle of Nowhere, New Mexico.

177616[/snapback]

I saw the Highway 14 grocery was at $3.29 for the cheap stuff!!! I didn't notice in town. Gotta get rid of the minivan and get a sedan!!!!

3.29 and up for the cheap stuff here in SC. Some gas stations have it, some do not. We have two large depots in the area, and they are having a hard time keeping up with demand. And to top it off, Clemson and Texas A&M are in town.

2.52 in Luverne Al.......it was 243 on wednesday when we thought we would be running out so my brothers went and bought 65 gallons using 5 gallon buckets.....

Prices were around 3.09 for the cheap stuff today in B'ham. When I see prices like this, it makes me glad that I have a small ex-cab truck (have to have something the bullmastiff will fit in) or a choice of 2 motorcycles. One Kawasaki heavily customized cruiser (yes, it's painted burnt orange and navy blue) and a Yamaha FJR that gets between 45 and 50mpg. Can you guess what I will be driving to the game Saturday? :)

PS Dont forget to be on the lookout for bikes, more of us will be on the road with prices of gas like they are.

Archived