SEC Wide Receivers and Tight Ends (2019-2023)

StatTiger

Sorting the data compiled by wide receivers and tight ends in the Southeastern Conference from 2019-2023, I ranked each team’s output during this five-year period. Here are the results…

· The data compiled is based on the top-50 players from each season, based on total receptions for the year. This resulted in a total of 250 individual performances for examination.

· I then separated the wide receivers and tight ends only for ranking.

· Each team was ranked based on yards per reception, TD ratio, first down ratio, plays of 15+ yards, and plays of 25+ yards. Based on these results, I ranked each team based on their average rankings in these five categories.

RESULTS:

· The top team over the past five years was Alabama, with an average ranking of 1.2 in all five categories. The next four were Ole Miss (3.8), LSU (4.0), Georgia (4.4), and Tennessee (4.6). I found Ole Miss ranked at #2 to be interesting because I have no doubt LSU has fielded better talent. The Rebels’ ranking is indicative of schemes and play calling, where Ole Miss has likely maxed-out with the talent available.

· Auburn finished tied with South Carolina at #10, with an average ranking of 10.8. Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State finished 12-14.

· Auburn was 11th in yards per reception, 11th in touchdown ratio, 10th in first down ratio, 12th in producing 15+ yard plays and 10th in producing plays of 25+ yards.

The opportunity for offensive growth likely did not occur until after the Ole Miss game. There were many moving parts to adjust and evaluate as the season progressed. Once Freeze took more control over the offense and Thorne became the full-time starter, the offense showed progress.

FIRST 6 FBS GAMES:

· 299 yards and 23 PPG.
· 29% on third downs.
· 4.74 yards per play on first down.
· Scored on 29.6 percent of possessions.
· 33 percent of offensive snaps were part of a scoring drive.

LAST 5 FBS GAMES:

· 381 yards and 28 PPG.
· 35% on third downs.
· 6.41 yards per play on first down.
· Scored on 41.1 percent of possessions.
· 50 percent of offensive snaps were part of a scoring drive.

The foundation is in place on offense, moving towards the 2024 season, along with an influx of potential talent at wide receiver. Payton Thorne’s efficiency made a dramatic spike during the second half of the season, and the run offense should be solid again in 2024. This spring will be about building on the foundation established during 2023 rather than the rebuilding woes experienced this past season.

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Once Freeze took more control over the offense and Thorne became the full-time starter, the offense showed progress.

Shhhh. Quite a few fans here don’t want to hear this. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

The facts are what they are.   @W.E.D, @DAG @cole256 thoughts?

Yeah he totally killed it vs 3 teams that didn't go to a bowl game where he average 145ypg, then lit it up vs New Mexico St and Bama.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

The facts are what they are.   @W.E.D, @DAG @cole256 thoughts?

I've already spoken on this.  To me it's no different than when people would fall for the same circle with gus.... at the end of the year when you play the more trash teams of course we would look better. Against bammer he was 5-16 for 90 yards and some of you say that's a good game..... the facts are what they are indeed.  But unfortunately we can't depend on playing arky, vandy, and new Mexico st every game. 

But I guess it's subjective nobody can deny here at Auburn we love hyping players up. I myself don't care about an underdog, I want actual talented athletes.  I like guys that are good enough to go pro and stuff like that.  I like guys who play big in the big games.

Also this is just my opinion but if we had played better teams at the end of the year nobody would be mentioning somebody taking over the offense, but that was a gus thing too remember it was never his fault never his offense it was always the coordinator fault, and gus would take it over at the end of the year and we'd play bammer well so on and so forth

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Murderous defensive stretch of Ole Miss, Miss St, Vandy, Arkansas, Bama

We're hyping a guy with a 61% comp, 155yds per game, and a 11/5 TD to INT ratio.

That's 4 horrendous defenses and 1 good one.  That's what we want to hang our hats on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I’m confused haha . What exactly are we bragging about now? 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

61% comp, 155yds per game, and a 11/5 TD to INT ratio.

Sick stats over 5 games

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Sick stats over 5 games

I was very confused. I thought we all expected the offense to be better over the last few games due to the fact that we just are overwhelmingly better? So weird to brag about. I am more concerned on his cumulative stats against LSU, Georgia, Bama, ole Miss, etc

That has been mine and most of the Michigan state fanbase main criticism.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I was very confused. I thought we all expected the offense to be better over the last few games due to the fact that we just are overwhelmingly better? So weird to brag about. I am more concerned on his cumulative stats against LSU, Georgia, Bama, ole Miss, etc

That has been mine and most of the Michigan state fanbase main criticism.

Shhh quiet a few fans don't want you to hear that!

Looked decent against the 3 worst teams in the SEC, lost to New Mexico State, completed 5 passes against Bama. And we call that trending up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

Shhh quiet a few fans don't want you to hear that!

Well we are naturally the forum bad guys so it makes sense 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7o7wr3q1rfmfn06xdrk

and here I was minding my own business. 

• Haha 1

Thorne was ranked 11th out of 15 SEC QBs. The majority of the beat guys were all saying 2 weeks before the season ended that AU would be looking to upgrade the QB position with a transfer. The ON3 guys said any chance of landing Ryan Williams was dependent on who was brought into play QB. Now most of these same guys are on the “we have to upgrade everywhere else” and Thorne will be good. Maybe if we had a better QB these other positions would look good too? 

• Like 1

Just now, CR said:

Thorne was ranked 11th out of 15 SEC QBs. The majority of the beat guys were all saying 2 weeks before the season ended that AU would be looking to upgrade the QB position with a transfer. The ON3 guys said any chance of landing Ryan Williams was dependent on who was brought into play QB. Now most of these same guys are on the “we have to upgrade everywhere else” and Thorne will be good. Maybe if we had a better QB these other positions would look good too? 

It’s interesting you have said this because this is my thought too. I don’t think RW is coming here with a perceived inconsistent QB. It’s good we got the other WRs but my concern is their youth. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

It’s interesting you have said this because this is my thought too. I don’t think RW is coming here with a perceived inconsistent QB. It’s good we got the other WRs but my concern is their youth. 

If Freeze was that sold on Thorne he wouldnt have tried to have Leonard lined up, it would seem to me. Ive felt all along that the WRs coming in would force an upgrade at QB but maybe not.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CR said:

If Freeze was that sold on Thorne he wouldnt have tried to have Leonard lined up, it would seem to me. Ive felt all along that the WRs coming in would force an upgrade at QB but maybe not.

Freeze would lose a lot of creds if he was *forced* by Freshman receivers to offer a portal QB.  Those receivers have bought into what Freeze is selling.  

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

Throw in PT's QBR was >140 in 8 of 12 games.

Reasons for optimism.

That's essentially what his season average was.  135.  That's 11th out of 14 teams.

Why is being essentially dead last and lumped in with Vandy, Miss State, and Arkansas horrid QB play a "reason for optimism"?

32 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Freeze would lose a lot of creds if he was *forced* by Freshman receivers to offer a portal QB.  Those receivers have bought into what Freeze is selling.  

It's a bunch of factors that wr coming in look at, seems like a bunch of people automatically assume they are sold on the QB..... That's not necessarily true though

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That's essentially what his season average was.  135.  That's 11th out of 14 teams.

Why is being essentially dead last and lumped in with Vandy, Miss State, and Arkansas horrid QB play a "reason for optimism"?

I don't know why not one person will even acknowledge it..... It makes me feel like many of them are being disingenuous, like let's talk about the entire thing, but instead they keep pushing this stat that they have to know isn't a strong piece of evidence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

Throw in PT's QBR was >140 in 8 of 12 games.

Reasons for optimism.

Another stat to look at is even after the run on weak teams if you look at his stats overall he pretty much has the same averages such as qbr as he had at Michigan St. That would leave to believe there's really not a bunch of evidence of upside. Seems like this is common play good against bad teams but not really to good against good teams. This is looking at 3 or 4 seasons as opposed 4 games.

18 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Shhhh. Quite a few fans here don’t want to hear this. 

Those few fans should just ignore the fact that LSU/OM/UGA weren't quite the same level of competition as Vandy/Ark/MSU. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Another stat to look at is even after the run on weak teams if you look at his stats overall he pretty much has the same averages such as qbr as he had at Michigan St. That would leave to believe there's really not a bunch of evidence of upside. Seems like this is common play good against bad teams but not really to good against good teams. This is looking at 3 or 4 seasons as opposed 4 games.

He was awful vs any decent team we played.  He was below average to average vs any non-decent team we played.  Lines up with his Mich St record that @DAGoften points to