No SEC team playing for the championship very rare

AURex

The last time an SEC team was not playing for the national championship in football was the 2014 season when Oregon lost to Ohio State on January 12, 2015. Every year since then, at least one SEC team has played in the national championship game.

It was a rarity even going back into the BCS era. The most recent BCS championship game that did not include an SEC team was the 2004 season when Auburn got left out and the game was between USC and Oklahoma. That game was played January 4, 2005.

That's quite a track record of football dominance over the past two decades. I wonder if this might change beginning next season, with the pending big conference realignments and 12 teams in the playoff.

1 hour ago, AURex said:

The last time an SEC team was not playing for the national championship in football was the 2014 season when Oregon lost to Ohio State on January 12, 2015. Every year since then, at least one SEC team has played in the national championship game.

It was a rarity even going back into the BCS era. The most recent BCS championship game that did not include an SEC team was the 2004 season when Auburn got left out and the game was between USC and Oklahoma. That game was played January 4, 2005.

That's quite a track record of football dominance over the past two decades. I wonder if this might change beginning next season, with the pending big conference realignments and 12 teams in the playoff.

Unless it’s Auburn, it’s refreshing isn’t it?

will probably be more difficult in the coming years with more teams playing for it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Unless it’s Auburn, it’s refreshing isn’t it?

niccage-trancendental.gif

With Washington joining the Big10 and Texas joining the SEC, it's kinda like two Big10 teams beat two SEC teams and will play each other for the natty.

On 1/2/2024 at 1:10 PM, AURex said:

Actually 2005 season didn't have an SEC team in the national title game either as it was Texas vs USC and Vince Young single handedly won that national title for Texas. Gene Chizik was the DC that 2005 season for Texas. To this day, that Texas vs USC game is the best game I've ever watched.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 2:10 PM, AURex said:

Two pairs of arch rivals, fascinatingly (in both rivalries, I prefer the 2023 teams--sorry Bo lol).

Edited by AUwent

On 1/2/2024 at 3:24 PM, AURex said:

With Washington joining the Big10 and Texas joining the SEC, it's kinda like two Big10 teams beat two SEC teams and will play each other for the natty.

Kinda.  

If those conferences were aligned that way this year, you wouldn’t have those matchups. 

57 minutes ago, NCAubs said:

Kinda.  

If those conferences were aligned that way this year, you wouldn’t have those matchups. 

No? If there were 12 teams in the CFP this year, do you think there would be another 4 teams in the semis and finals? I don't really see any other teams actually breaking into the final four.

Oregon? Good, but they lost to UDub twice? UGA? Well, they lost to Bama and only squeaked by a couple of others. FSU? Well, if they had their star QB, or even their sub-star 2nd string QB, but with a 3rd stringer? Ohio State? Penn State? Clempson? IOle Miss?

Personally, I don't see the 12 team CFP actually changing anything. This year, FSU would habe been slaughtered, no matter who they played, even with all of their team (other than their QBs). UGA, if matched up with Ole Miss, might have made it into the final four -- maybe.

I'm fine with opening the CFP to 12 teams, but I really don't think it would make a modicum of difference in the National Champion result.

1 minute ago, AURex said:

No? If there were 12 teams in the CFP this year, do you think there would be another 4 teams in the semis and finals? I don't really see any other teams actually breaking into the final four.

Oregon? Good, but they lost to UDub twice? UGA? Well, they lost to Bama and only squeaked by a couple of others. FSU? Well, if they had their star QB, or even their sub-star 2nd string QB, but with a 3rd stringer? Ohio State? Penn State? Clempson? IOle Miss?

Personally, I don't see the 12 team CFP actually changing anything. This year, FSU would habe been slaughtered, no matter who they played, even with all of their team (other than their QBs). UGA, if matched up with Ole Miss, might have made it into the final four -- maybe.

I'm fine with opening the CFP to 12 teams, but I really don't think it would make a modicum of difference in the National Champion result.

I don’t disagree with your assessment of a scenario that doesn’t currently exist.  We don’t know if those two would be in the championship game.  Footballs bounce in weird ways.  

You are possibly spot on.  Or we could have a Mizzou-Oregon game.  We’ll never know. 

My point was that if 2024 conference alignments were in place now, you probably wouldn’t have only two conferences represented.