Women vs. Lady Vols, SEC Opener 7 CST

Our Lady Tigers get the conference slate started tonight with a home opener vs. the Lady Vols (7-5). Tennessee’s best player, senior Rickea Jackson, has recently returned to the lineup from missing 8 games due to injury. Gonna have to have a 4 quarter effort to pull this one out. Glad it’s at home. A win here would really give the team a jolt of confidence starting out league play. It can be done! War Eagle ladies!

At the 8:00 mark on the 4th, our women have been outscored 27-8 in the 2nd half. No rebounding, Tenn. going big and blocking everything down low. Just a horrible half of basketball for the home team. No adjustments. CJH just standing there in her Wranglers with her arms folded.

Just a poorly coached team. I look forward to getting a coach who exhibits passion, energy, and frankly, a clue about how to put together a consistent women’s team. This is not a great UTenn team. They do have a very skilled player, but Jackson by far is their shining star. Just tired of looking inept. 

• Like 1

Looking a little better in the last part of the 4th

On 1/4/2024 at 9:44 PM, tigeraddikt said:

Just a poorly coached team. I look forward to getting a coach who exhibits passion, energy, and frankly, a clue about how to put together a consistent women’s team. This is not a great UTenn team. They do have a very skilled player, but Jackson by far is their shining star. Just tired of looking inept. 

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On 1/4/2024 at 8:44 PM, tigeraddikt said:

I like Coach Harris, and thought it was a good hire. But this is year 3, and I haven't seen as much improvement as we should have by this point. We are looking terrible again today. Starting to have doubts about whether she is going to get it done.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

I like Coach Harris, and thought it was a good hire. But this is year 3, and I haven't seen as much improvement as we should have by this point. We are looking terrible again today. Starting to have doubts about whether she is going to get it done.

Yes, she’s really the same as Barbee in that she was brought in as a crack recruiter and it just hasn’t played out like that. Roster turnover has been atrocious, and the players she does retain or import just don’t play that great. Only thing lacking in the program is talent, depth, consistency, motivation, accountability, leadership and conditioning.

Edited by tigeraddikt
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Yes, she’s really the same as Barbee in that she was brought in as a crack recruiter and it just hasn’t played out like that. Roster turnover has been atrocious, and the players she does retain or import just don’t play that great. Only thing lacking in the program is talent, depth, consistency, motivation, accountability, leadership and conditioning.

I expected a lot more with Vic Schaefer being her mentor. She has been sorely disappointing. 

• Like 1

Another loss last night. They sliced an 18 point lead down to 1 in the last minute of the game. Honesty had to sit alot due to being in foul trouble. Outside of her, we really don't have any consistent playmakers. 

28 minutes ago, TD1 said:

Another loss last night. They sliced an 18 point lead down to 1 in the last minute of the game. Honesty had to sit alot due to being in foul trouble. Outside of her, we really don't have any consistent playmakers. 

Ole Miss is a pretty good team, we have LSU next. Tough schedule for us to start. Maybe we can get a few SEC wins when the schedule gets a bit more favorable. I"m not going to get my hopes up too much though.

Edited by arktiger1975

On 1/12/2024 at 9:17 AM, arktiger1975 said:

Ole Miss is a pretty good team, we have LSU next. Tough schedule for us to start. Maybe we can get a few SEC wins when the schedule gets a bit more favorable. I"m not going to get my hopes up too much though.

Feels like the death spiral we have become accustomed to in full swing. It starts with recruiting and won't be overcome without a roster with depth and talent to compete in the SEC.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Feels like the death spiral we have become accustomed to in full swing. It starts with recruiting and won't be overcome without a roster with depth and talent to compete in the SEC.

We had that one out of nowhere season around 2009 under Nel Fortner. But other than that, the program has been in the doldrums for years. We used to at least be able to beat bama about every time. Now we can't even beat them.

Just now, arktiger1975 said:

We had that one out of nowhere season around 2009 under Nel Fortner. But other than that, the program has been in the doldrums for years. We used to at least be able to beat bama about every time. Now we can't even beat them.

At the very least, Nell built a talented roster.  You are correct, 2009 was the best, but we had players that competed before and after.  The roster was built the right way.  I'll admit, I am fond of Nell personally and that fondness makes her tenure a little more rose colored than the numbers might reflect, but I was seldom embarrassed by her teams.  I liked the student athletes that she recruited to Auburn. 

That went out the window with Terri WIlliams and we continue to struggle under Johnnie.    The program is too well funded to be this bad.  All this has happened while Georgia, Ole Miss & Texas A&M have made good hires.  Tennessee hired Kelly, who we were a coin flip away from hiring when Terri got the job.  I've had season tickets for at least 15 years now and I have never seen a lower level of excitement about women's basketball.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

At the very least, Nell built a talented roster.  You are correct, 2009 was the best, but we had players that competed before and after.  The roster was built the right way.  I'll admit, I am fond of Nell personally and that fondness makes her tenure a little more rose colored than the numbers might reflect, but I was seldom embarrassed by her teams.  I liked the student athletes that she recruited to Auburn. 

That went out the window with Terri WIlliams and we continue to struggle under Johnnie.    The program is too well funded to be this bad.  All this has happened while Georgia, Ole Miss & Texas A&M have made good hires.  Tennessee hired Kelly, who we were a coin flip away from hiring when Terri got the job.  I've had season tickets for at least 15 years now and I have never seen a lower level of excitement about women's basketball.

It really hurts for those of us who remember the 80's and early 90's. Back then, we were a top 3-4 program not just in the SEC, but nationally. 

• Like 3

On 1/7/2024 at 5:15 PM, tigeraddikt said:

The massive swing in momentum she allowed coming out of halftime against Tenn was certainly hard to watch…

I thought she flashed some real roster management chops going into her first real offseason, but like mentioned above, all those really talented gets other than Sydney are out. 

I do think she’s done an actually commendable job of raising the floor, as compared to her predecessor. I think that’s what has helped in turning some of these games that 20-30 point losses into middle single digits. I think it’s squarely a solid, sometimes really solid, team 

19 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The massive swing in momentum she allowed coming out of halftime against Tenn was certainly hard to watch…

I thought she flashed some real roster management chops going into her first real offseason, but like mentioned above, all those really talented gets other than Sydney are out. 

I do think she’s done an actually commendable job of raising the floor, as compared to her predecessor. I think that’s what has helped in turning some of these games that 20-30 point losses into middle single digits. I think it’s squarely a solid, sometimes really solid, team 

I actually think Johnnie is a very good x's and o's coach.  I'm not certain that she makes a great head coach at this level.  I don't doubt her desire, which is very different from Terri, who I believe was simply collecting fat paychecks by the end.

As a program, we have built in advantages over so many other SEC teams, yet we continue to fail in using those advantages to our benefit.  Our recruiting footprint alone should provide us with more than enough talent to field a top 20 roster.  We are an hour and a half from metro Atlanta. 

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

We are an hour and a half from metro Atlanta. 

Yet, the only player from GA (I believe) is the Clemson transfer, Gaines.

I know it's early, but it's nice to see them with an 8 point lead going into the 2nd qtr. 

Feel for momentum is once again non-existent 

Reese is literally and figuratively ******* massive. Our only reprieve this second quarter came with her out and she might’ve got a 1 min break before they brought her back in 

They started throwing on some zone and playing up higher on those passing lanes and we’ve had no real answer since then 

• Like 1

Some tremendous shooting by Auburn today. Mingo and Honesty had individual masterclasses. Eddings hit the biggest shot I’ve seen for Auburn WBB in the 6-7 years I’ve been here. It was right after Sydney got hurt going for a ball and she came in completely cold. Personally felt like momentum was sliding back LSU atm

Most tremendous part of this game was that they got a really good LSU punch after the first quarter and survived. ALL credits to the coaching staff and the roster for not allowing themselves to be taken out of the moment. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, akillshot said:

Some of these comments didn't age well today 😁

If they will play like they did today in the future, I will make them every week.  Every negative comment was well earned.  Today they played well enough to give us hope again.

• Like 3