💙 Men vs Mississippi State Game Thread! 🧡

Underrated big game in a little under 24 hours! State is a tough matchup for us because they are one of the few teams in the conference that can matchup with Broome. They are also just a good team period. A tourney team. Tolu Smith is a beast and they won’t have to bring doubles on Broome in the post. 

It’s a big revenge game for our boys! We played one of our worst offensive performances of the season vs them last month. Let’s go get our win back! Wooooo!!!! 

• Like 2

• Like 1

Coach Pearl told the Tip Off Club at today's lunch that this game is important because he thinks our regular season record will have more bearing on our NCAA tourney seeding than how we do in the SEC tourney.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully they call fouls on their big guy because all he does is charge and push his way to the goal 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arktiger1975 said:

Need to keep Hubbard in check this time. He is a good shooter and athletic, but is a smaller guard.

He’s been en fuego lately too. He’s a true freshman I believe. The difference physically in him and Aden is staggering. He’s a grown ass man already it looks like. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He’s been en fuego lately too. He’s a true freshman I believe. The difference physically in him and Aden is staggering. He’s a grown ass man already it looks like. 

Well, from seeing him play in high school, I know Josh can really get up. A lot like Jared Harper in that regard. Aden isn't that explosive type athlete.

• Like 1

Smith has improved his game 100% this year. He is a total force inside. Certainly more than Broome can handle by himself. That young man will definitely be playing in the NBA. I'll be interested to see how CBP handles this.

Yes, a very important game, and a tough one. Auburn really needs to win this game and Misery to remain in the seeding for a bye in the SEC tourney.

3 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

Well, from seeing him play in high school, I know Josh can really get up. A lot like Jared Harper in that regard. Aden isn't that explosive type athlete.

Dude has been living in the weight room! He is chiseled out of granite!! 😂😂

IMG_7201.jpeg

• Like 1

Got to play extremely good perimeter defense in this one! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Dude has been living in the weight room! He is chiseled out of granite!! 😂😂

IMG_7201.jpeg

Almost TOO big for basketball. Interested to see if it hurts him in the long run. I do know that Jans is an old school coach who emphasizes power over speed. Hubbard's definitely has a basketball body out of the 1990"s-early 2000"s.

Edited by arktiger1975
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Coach Pearl told the Tip Off Club at today's lunch that this game is important because he thinks our regular season record will have more bearing on our NCAA tourney seeding than how we do in the SEC tourney.

That’s called “hedging your pisspoor SEC tourney record as AU HC.” To my knowledge, Bruce has recorded a victory in only 2 of his 7 SEC Tournament trips as AU HC. I love Bruce, but he has woefully underperformed in Nashville. To be fair, he “probably” would have won at least a game in the 2020 tourney and then in 2021 we had the self-imposed ridiculousness to get rid of the NCAA infractions committee.

6 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

That’s called “hedging your pisspoor SEC tourney record as AU HC.” To my knowledge, Bruce has recorded a victory in only 2 of his 7 SEC Tournament trips as AU HC. I love Bruce, but he has woefully underperformed in Nashville. To be fair, he “probably” would have won at least a game in the 2020 tourney and then in 2021 we had the self-imposed ridiculousness to get rid of the NCAA infractions committee.

Going out early in the SEC tournament puts me in a bad mood. I truly believe that winning the tournament in 2019 played a huge role in building momentum for our Final Four run.

• Like 1

Moo State is one of those teams on the 7/8 line in the NCAA tournament you would not want to play. I think we get 2/3 teams in the Sweet 16 this year. That's just how good the league has been.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Bruce I believe is 7-6 in the sec tourney at AU. That’s the nature of the beast of a single elimination format. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

Going out early in the SEC tournament puts me in a bad mood. I truly believe that winning the tournament in 2019 played a huge role in building momentum for our Final Four run.

Sometimes it has no impact. 2 years ago Iowa won the big 10 tourney and was put out in the first round of the ncaa tourney. There is no rhyme or reason to the madness.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Thanks 1

Another reason today's game is so big is because I truly believe we will get a top 4 seed, and therefore a double bye, in Nashville if we win our last 3. We may not be there at the moment, but a lot of the teams we are battling with for those spots have multiple games against one another. Therefore, natural attrition will guarantee that we would move up if we simply take care of our business.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Sometimes it has no impact. 2 years ago Iowa won the big 10 tourney and was put out in the first round of the ncaa tourney. There is no rhyme or reason to the madness.

True, but I just feel SO much better about our chances after winning the tournament.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

March giveth and March taketh away. We lost 2 close ones vs mizzou in the 17 tourney and the arky game last year. But we also won some close games in the sec tourney as well.  It usually evens out.

Edited by GwillMac6

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Got to play extremely good perimeter defense in this one! 

Yikes.  He was a standout in high school as well...holds the record for most points scored by a high school basketball player in the state of Mississippi.  Hard to believe he wasn't a 5-star recruit (he was a consensus 4-star).  Auburn will have their hands full this afternoon - glad they're playing at home and hope they're up to the challenge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golden Eagle said:

Yikes.  He was a standout in high school as well...holds the record for most points scored by a high school basketball player in the state of Mississippi.  Hard to believe he wasn't a 5-star recruit (he was a consensus 4-star).  Auburn will have their hands full this afternoon - glad they're playing at home and hope they're up to the challenge. 

I think the first Miss St game was actually the first time we used that Denver at point lineup some; I wouldn't be surprised to see us either return to that heavily or have Aden/Tre hidden on someone else and have Denver as his primary. 

After watching USC/UF shoot out at the end, makes me realize we don;t have a crunch time, go to, person on the perimeter.

Gotta get some PG production.

Broome gonna have a long afternoon.  

Our shooters better show up or we are gonna look at the UK beat down as a pleasant afternoon walk.

I always feel better about our game when I read this thread. 

Not that it's not right 25% of the time, but I like to be positive until we get blown out of a game because of our lack of talent and coaching. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I always feel better about our game when I read this thread. 

Not that it's not right 25% of the time, but I like to be positive until we get blown out of a game because of our lack of talent and coaching. 

Amazing, isn’t it?  

Game announcers look lame.