πŸ’™ Men vs Mississippi State Game Thread! 🧑

24 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I am here to critique the game or chew bubble gum…and I’m all out of bubble gum, so….

Bad rebounding during stretches kept MSU in the game.

That’s about it. Good to get the win.

We will always struggle vs bigger teams that can shoot. Β Tournament success will depend on what kind of early draw we get.

Β 

Β 

HOnestly, I thought Broome would struggle more against TSmith.

• Like 1

First Auburn needs to win these next 2 games. Β Hopefully that gets them the 3 in Nashville or at least the 4 and the double bye. Β They can beat any team. Β Not to say they will win it, but they very realistically can.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i got my time wrong and missed all the game but the last few minutes. perco's are great for pain but they tear me up.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i got my time wrong and missed all the game but the last few minutes. perco's are great for pain but they tear me up.

It's all good, Fifty. You just get better.Β 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guys I didn’t watch the game due to a project. How did the team look?

4 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Guys I didn’t watch the game due to a project. How did the team look?

It was pretty much on par with all the double digit home wins. Just got beat on the boards and not much from the guard position.

• Thanks 1

My normal post/ thoughts

Good Tigers show up tonight, but even then inconsistency is our biggest problem.And again that is identified by discipline problems.Β 

I am not one to blame the Refs or an AU bias, but when it is common knowledge to rattle a cage and they answer, No wonder they are all up in ours every game and the refs are waiting with baited breath. We ask for it, and i know that is not readily accepted, but we needed to have the demeanor of Williams every game as far as emotional outbursts!!

Guard play was better as far as TO but still neither sought to make plays for the most part. Guess we try again( same song 🎢 different verse again). 
Β 

I still have not seen the rise to the top, the growth needed to win the SEC tournament or advance far in March

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

WAR DAMN DENVER JONES EAGLE!!!! πŸ’™πŸ§‘πŸ¦…πŸ…πŸ― woooooo!!!!! Yesssirrrrr!!!! Let’s fuggin go bay baaaaaay!!!!Β 
Β 

Β 

IMG_7213.jpeg

IMG_7212.jpeg

IMG_7211.jpeg

IMG_7210.jpeg

IMG_7209.jpeg

IMG_7208.jpeg

IMG_7207.jpeg

IMG_7206.jpeg

IMG_7205.jpeg

IMG_7204.jpeg

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Percocet should not tear you up now Percodan will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lost said:

My normal post/ thoughts

Good Tigers show up tonight, but even then inconsistency is our biggest problem.And again that is identified by discipline problems.Β 

I am not one to blame the Refs or an AU bias, but when it is common knowledge to rattle a cage and they answer, No wonder they are all up in ours every game and the refs are waiting with baited breath. We ask for it, and i know that is not readily accepted, but we needed to have the demeanor of Williams every game as far as emotional outbursts!!

Guard play was better as far as TO but still neither sought to make plays for the most part. Guess we try again( same song 🎢 different verse again). 
Β 

I still have not seen the rise to the top, the growth needed to win the SEC tournament or advance far in March

I think we're past that point, at least this season, of our PGs really "letting it go" as far as those passes. That being said, the version we of Tre we got today, sound with the ball, hunts his own shot in a controlled way, that's a version you can at least feel good about. The fact that we have like 2 games left and we're still no bit closer to having real consistency with BOTH point guards raising their floor together probably just means that they are who they areΒ 

Β 

If we existed in a world where Denver/KD, Berman, Jaylin/Chaney, Broome/Dylan played as well as they have for the most part recently and CBM doesn't lose his mind, then we should be able to afford the low ceiling our PGs offer. But...that's a big ifΒ 

• Like 2

It’s a great day. Looks like Bama is about to take an L and Knecht didn’t play great

• Like 1
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think we're past that point, at least this season, of our PGs really "letting it go" as far as those passes. That being said, the version we of Tre we got today, sound with the ball, hunts his own shot in a controlled way, that's a version you can at least feel good about. The fact that we have like 2 games left and we're still no bit closer to having real consistency with BOTH point guards raising their floor together probably just means that they are who they areΒ 

Β 

If we existed in a world where Denver/KD, Berman, Jaylin/Chaney, Broome/Dylan played as well as they have for the most part recently and CBM doesn't lose his mind, then we should be able to afford the low ceiling our PGs offer. But...that's a big ifΒ 

U was right about ur assessment of Tennessee. They are built to make a deep run in the tournament. Zeigler was the difference. Hopefully Aden and Tre can give Auburn something. Life would be so much easier for Broome .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, e808 said:

It was pretty much on par with all the double digit home wins. Just got beat on the boards and not much from the guard position.

'Not much' is an understatement. PG's Tre and Aden combined for 5 points, all by Tre.Β 

G DJ did get 15...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, e808 said:

U was right about ur assessment of Tennessee. They are built to make a deep run in the tournament. Zeigler was the difference. Hopefully Aden and Tre can give Auburn something. Life would be so much easier for Broome .

honestly dude, most Rick Barnes teams are the definition of regular season teams. Some SEC fans, internally and externally, think we deserve that rep as of late, but Tenn goes out there and will be a 2 seed, then lose in the sweet 16, like it's nothing. Not to mention he did nothing with Kevin freaking Durant.

But this team right here? When Knecht is on (1), when Ziegler is engaged (2), I think they're the best in the conference tbh. Today was a glass half full because Knecht was not on for most of it, and they looked really stymied against a meh Bama D. But, they missed a ton of open 3s, their defense was sensational, and Zeigler did what a vet PG should and can do.

I don't even know if we need a Ziegler level PG to be a real natty contender tbh. If Ziegler is like a 8-9 as far as college PGs go, we may just need a 7. I think Tre's been a 4-6 depending on the night, and Aden just isn't a real PG at this point in the game. He needs be to graded like a shooting guard almost

• Like 2

Btw, it's more than possible to mold a guy that'd prefer to be a chucker into something close to a traditional guard.

I don't know how often it's been done under Pearl (I really just don't know), but if you look at Caleb Love, Arizona has cleaned up that guy's bad tendencies so well, he's a whole different guy than he was as a freshman. I obv hope it doesn't take a change of scenery for Aden, but there are frameworks

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

honestly dude, most Rick Barnes teams are the definition of regular season teams. Some SEC fans, internally and externally, think we deserve that rep as of late, but Tenn goes out there and will be a 2 seed, then lose in the sweet 16, like it's nothing. Not to mention he did nothing with Kevin freaking Durant.

But this team right here? When Knecht is on (1), when Ziegler is engaged (2), I think they're the best in the conference tbh. Today was a glass half full because Knecht was not on for most of it, and they looked really stymied against a meh Bama D. But, they missed a ton of open 3s, their defense was sensational, and Zeigler did what a vet PG should and can do.

I don't even know if we need a Ziegler level PG to be a real natty contender tbh. If Ziegler is like a 8-9 as far as college PGs go, we may just need a 7. I think Tre's been a 4-6 depending on the night, and Aden just isn't a real PG at this point in the game. He needs be to graded like a shooting guard almost

UT is a lot like Purdue- I will doubt them in the NCAA tournament until they prove they can get over the hump. Still ecstatic they swept bama though.Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

UT is a lot like Purdue- I will doubt them in the NCAA tournament until they prove they can get over the hump. Still ecstatic they swept bama though.Β 

there's definitely a world where some team just throws a double at Knecht for half of the game and Tenn looks like they've never played organized bball before lol. Kid's also not a great defender I'm coming to notice and endured pretty similar foul mngt today as he did against us, although we never really forced him to defend after he got 3 like Bama did

• Like 3

13 hours ago, e808 said:

It’s just sad in college and pro they want offense. They think it’s more exciting taking four steps to shoot and chunking up a bunch of threes. Very hard if u are a defensive minded team

Good offense is very entertaining. Bad offense is not. No one wants to see teams like the double dribblers junk and ugly up the game year after year and keep setting the college game back to the peach basket era. It’s easy to play good defense in college because of there being no defensive 3 second rule. You got coaches like tony Bennett build their whole coaching identity on that rule with the pac line defense. There is so few legit good offenses in the college game that there looks to be an abundance of β€œgood defenses”. When in reality it’s a whole lot of bad offenses.Β 

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Aden just isn't a real PG at this point in the game. He needs be to graded like a shooting guard almost

I'm not seeing how he got the McD's All-Am at this point. Β 

Looks like he could hit some 3's, but that's about it.

Can't drive to force the D to have to make decisions.

Gets bullied on D.

Hoping he's a project that pans out down the line.

Β 

On another note, Tre and KD have disappeared the last two games.

Why?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I'm not seeing how he got the McD's All-Am at this point. Β 

Looks like he could hit some 3's, but that's about it.

Can't drive to force the D to have to make decisions.

Gets bullied on D.

Hoping he's a project that pans out down the line.

Β 

On another note, Tre and KD have disappeared the last two games.

Why?

It’s a lot of things, but college is just such a gigantic leap in difficulty than AAU, esp once you get to conference play and they have game plans for you. Defense isn’t prioritized (to say the least), some states don’t use shot clocks in HS bball (so you’re not really challenged to β€œrun an offense”), and chucker habits aren’t as detrimental to a team (usually because that 5 star chucking is the best form of offense a HS team can produce).

All that being said, this is what college is for! Outside of the generational talents like KG, LeBron, Kobe, most 5 star talents need some sort of development post HS to be all that they can be. There’s some guys in the NBA now that were NBA talents coming out of HS, but are potential busts because they didn’t get that development in a real setting (Jalen Green)Β 

• Like 2

Even though Auburn has run a lot more sets this season they have in years past (esp in comparison to the Harper years), they still ideally would want their lead guards to run a read and react type offense, where you’re just reading whatever the defense gives you and making the best play off of that

Aden seems to be most comfortable when the play is ran for him to score, when he’s in transition, or when he’s off the ball (the Georgia game is best evidence of this). That all just screams 2 guard to me tbh.
Β 

Pettiford himself seems to be kinda combo guard-ish, but I think he’s closer to a facilitator instinctually, so hopefully we run a lot more Aden off ball next year. He’s going to have to be less of a cone on D thoughΒ